U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 01:20 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,805,961 times

Advertisements

"Why Do Southern Women Like to Wear Bright Colors?"
because they can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 01:22 PM

5,323 posts, read 8,093,089 times
Remember that brights and pastels are a historical staple of spring/summer collections. Since Southern climates are warmer, the spring/summer collections likely dominate the fashion world in those regions. It is only more recently that you are starting to see typical spring/summer colors in fall/winter collections.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:58 PM

7,497 posts, read 2,724,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
I think it's more that you see these groups of Southern women and they are ALL wearing bright colors. And they wear the whole outfit in a bright color.

Sure you see bright colors in other places too, but it's the "extent of bright colors" you esp see in the South.

I also notice Southern men are more likely to wear pastel colored clothes (polo shirts) too.

People in warm/hot climates wear bright colors because the bright colors reflect sunlight. In colder climates, women wear darker tones because dark tones ABSORB heat.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:24 PM

18,925 posts, read 5,029,630 times
I'm blond with pale skin...although I think pastels are pretty they make me look even paler and washed out....so it's brighter colors for me..

Old 09-16-2019, 08:03 PM

883 posts, read 168,980 times
Interesting. I live in a warm, sunny state and in a part where everyone seems to adore bright colors. Of course, I have been different in almost every way than just about everyone around me, no matter where I've lived. I can't stand bright clothing and hate it when other people keep trying to force me into wearing bright yellow and orange knowing full well that I'll look like pavement with pylons on top. But then again, I think those people really don't want to see me as much as they want to see the bright colors. I guess the idea is more for pleasing their own eyes.

Anyhow, my preferred color is gray. I like gray in all shades, especially steel gray or blue-gray. Next is charcoal or black and some warm cinnamon and amber tones, then different shades of blue and teal.

I do believe younger women from all over the U.S. and perhaps the older ones with healthy incomes and outgoing personalities prefer bright and colorful.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:12 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,000,227 times
I don't think it has anything at all to do with where people live in the country. I have lived in 40 of the 50 states and bright colors are me! In my 66 years on the Earth I can say without a doubt, I have never worn nor owned any clothing in the gray, beige, yellow families. I'm happy in fuschia, raspberry, deep red, purple, lilac or teal, Carolina blue. I wear them ALL all year round. At the moment, I am in NC, but do not consider myself any bit a "Southern woman". I am on my way to a coastal retirement, but not sure where yet. DO what makes you happy!

Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 PM

11,431 posts, read 8,705,726 times
Kind of stereotyping. Wear what you love!

Old 09-16-2019, 09:58 PM

20,757 posts, read 11,595,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
One thing I notice is that Southern women like to wear bright colors. Do they wear them all year round?
Is it a sorority thing?!

https://www.google.com/search?q=alab...8bMWsMLLMdZUM:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...7fVOzES7eLjfM:
You showed us women in bikinis and women dressed for sports events.

Women wear bright bikinis and bright school colors to sports events everywhere.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:27 AM

7,749 posts, read 6,877,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
People in warm/hot climates wear bright colors because the bright colors reflect sunlight. In colder climates, women wear darker tones because dark tones ABSORB heat.

You nailed it.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:58 AM

2,784 posts, read 3,412,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Have you looked up pictures of Southern women who are NOT in sororities?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Most of the pictures I looked at are of Sorority girls at Bama. I live in Alabama and go to the campus for football and basketball games all the time. Those pictures are spot on Bama sorority girls. Not exactly an accurate sample to base what Southern Women in the South wear just so you know. I mean, you go to the games and often see them wearing cowboy boots with sun dresses too like they are Taylor Swift but who the hell outside of sorority girls dress like that for crying out loud. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or