U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 08:53 AM

3,668 posts, read 3,260,988 times

Advertisements

Not all southern women dress like that. In a warmer climate, you wear lighter clothes because dark clothes get too hot. You will find sorority girls dressed up in business casual type dresses at football games. It's too hot for the occasion and they get made fun of for it, but it's their tradition. They aren't hurting anyone, but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 09:05 AM

9,643 posts, read 8,614,418 times
Well my alma mater's colors are garnet and black and that is all you see at football games. Most SEC and ACC's colors are pretty bland with the exception of maybe Clemson and Auburn.

That said, Lilly Pulitzer is the uniform of choice for most women in the south.

As much as I dislike Lilly, I own four dresses. Two solid white, on navy, one martinique print.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:53 AM

15,008 posts, read 8,803,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
One thing I notice is that Southern women like to wear bright colors. Do they wear them all year round?
Is it a sorority thing?!

https://www.google.com/search?q=alab...8bMWsMLLMdZUM:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...7fVOzES7eLjfM:
The South consists of more than Alabama.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:58 AM

7,060 posts, read 4,394,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The South consists of more than Alabama.
The second link was Mississippi.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:25 PM

23,057 posts, read 15,062,476 times
Catalog retailers like Lands End and LL Bean sell tees, sweaters and some outerwear in bright colors. They seem to prefer bright primary colors and navy, as well as black and white. I suppose the brights are more appealing to online and catalog shoppers.

Here in the PDX area, people wear black, gray, and other subdued colors. There is definitely a Portland look, although Seattleites might tend to dress similarly. I actually like the look, but I will always try to wear color.

But the colors that I feel I look best in are harder to find. I like clear and bright aquas, corals, greens, warm yellows, chambray blues, denim blues, tan, periwinkle. Since these colors are not easily found, I compromise with grayed colors, and ivory or ecru. There were years when I practically lived in off white and ecru, because of the pervasiveness of bright jewel tones and black.

I donít know why dark tones are now more trendy, but they do seem to be. Someone who has lived and worked for a decade in Portland would have a hard time taking her wardrobe to a new job in Atlanta or Houston, I think. They would have trouble with warmer clothes and color palette.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:41 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,522,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Well my alma mater's colors are garnet and black and that is all you see at football games. Most SEC and ACC's colors are pretty bland with the exception of maybe Clemson and Auburn.

That said, Lilly Pulitzer is the uniform of choice for most women in the south.

As much as I dislike Lilly, I own four dresses. Two solid white, on navy, one martinique print.
Yes, I was going to post about the Lilly cult but you beat me to it. And it just doesn't seem right to wear Lilly past the Mason-Dixon line

Old 09-28-2019, 12:07 PM

5,323 posts, read 8,093,089 times
Somewhat related to the topic of fall/winter clothes in spring/summer colors, I just ordered a pullover fleece in a pale pink/purple color called Ballerina. It looks somewhat purple in the photo, but shows up in search results as pink. In addition, the Pantone color known as Ballerina is a pink color (although slightly more purple toned than my favorite shade, Fairy Tale). I will know for sure when I see it in person (Fairy Tale often looks brighter than it really is in online photos for example). And yes, this is a men's pullover fleece.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:12 PM

79,865 posts, read 72,520,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Somewhat related to the topic of fall/winter clothes in spring/summer colors, I just ordered a pullover fleece in a pale pink/purple color called Ballerina. It looks somewhat purple in the photo, but shows up in search results as pink. In addition, the Pantone color known as Ballerina is a pink color (although slightly more purple toned than my favorite shade, Fairy Tale). I will know for sure when I see it in person (Fairy Tale often looks brighter than it really is in online photos for example). And yes, this is a men's pullover fleece.
I don't see why any shade of purple couldn't be a men's color. Your new pullover sounds nice.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:21 PM

5,323 posts, read 8,093,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't see why any shade of purple couldn't be a men's color. Your new pullover sounds nice.
I was just thinking about a color called "Ballerina" seems unusual for a men's fleece. You can make the same argument for Fairy Tale, but then you can have male fairies. Ballerinas are specifically female ballet dancers; a male ballet dancer is a danseur or ballerino.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:25 PM

79,865 posts, read 72,520,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was just thinking about a color called "Ballerina" seems unusual for a men's fleece. You can make the same argument for Fairy Tale, but then you can have male fairies. Ballerinas are specifically female ballet dancers; a male ballet dancer is a danseur or ballerino.
I just looked it up. On my screen, it does look like a variation on pink, with a subtle purple-ish cast. I have no idea why that would be called "ballerina"; I guess they had to call it something.

Anyway, enjoy your new fall fleece! I guess it's the purple component, that makes it appropriate for fall, rather than a spring/summer color?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or