Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 09:39 AM

87 posts, read 122,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Not me. Shirts are shapeless and don't fit a woman's shape. Don't know about pants as I'll stick to women's.
There is no such thing as a universal "woman's shape"

I'm a 59 y/o, petite female who still buys t-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants, windpants, and other athletic wear in the Boys Department (I wear size 12 or 14, or M/L, depending on the item). When I was a broke college student in the late 1970s I realized that boys sizes not only fit my body, but most boys clothing costs less than a comparable item from the women's department.

So I buy an item that fits me and save money in the process - win-win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I think it's because our culture has gotten extremely masculine. Both men and women are more masculine than ever before.
Speaking only for myself, I'm not masculine at all.

For work out clothes, I'm sick of the awful stuff that is marketed to women. Creepy crawly rayon, skin tight.

And may I add, I think men are less masculine than ever before in history.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I see some older women who have rounded, apple figures wearing men’s shirts. I assume this is because they can’t find women’s clothing that fits.

Young girls with mostly straight figures would probably do well in the boys’ departnents.

I can wear a unisex sweatshirt, and might wear an oversized flannel shirt. But my figure does not fit well into men’s clothing.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:12 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm not even sure what the bolded means. "Typical ladies"?

I'm wondering too. I wear men's tshirts, sweatshirts and hoodies quite often. I'm not sure what makes me typical or not, and I'm wondering if I should be offended either way. ;-P

Old 09-17-2019, 02:31 PM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've noticed more and more ladies shopping at men's clothing section at dept stores. No, they are not buying them for a guy they are buying for themselves. I see ladies mostly buying guy jackets, sweat shirts, blazers, and dress shirts.

In fact, when I checkout clothes for my teenage boys I often find a lady trying on a boys 14-16 jacket or shirt.
I like buying men's track pants because not only are they
comfortable, their pockets are deep enough to actually serve
a purpose. Meanwhile, the pockets on the pairs of women's
jeans I've owned are almost useless. If the manufacturers
are going to include pockets on women's pants, it would
really help if they were actually usable.

-

Old 09-17-2019, 02:55 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm wondering too. I wear men's tshirts, sweatshirts and hoodies quite often. I'm not sure what makes me typical or not, and I'm wondering if I should be offended either way. ;-P
Offended? I'm thinking outraged!

Old 09-17-2019, 03:55 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Offended? I'm thinking outraged!

Outraged and confused! And conflicted! Do I WANT to be typical? Or do I want to stand out as special? LOL

Old 09-17-2019, 04:14 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
I've never heard of this before. But for my girls, I shop for men's/ boys tank tops to put under their shirts.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:37 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
This is me, too! But I also have short legs, so I always have to alter jeans. I learned to sew as a teenager, so I could have stuff that fit properly.

If I can find a women's shirt to fit my shoulders, it has so many Xs in the size that the midsection part looks like a maternity top. And my tops are a size or two bigger than my pants. Women's clothes generally do not fit well or look great on me, so I stick to nondescript basics for the most part, from the men's section.
YES! That is a problem for me, too. I wear one of the lower plus sizes, but I am very tall with broad shoulders. The problem is that the plus-size tops are often bell-shaped and flare out at the waist wider than the shoulders, but I don't flare out at the waist like that. Nobody's going to think I'm wearing a maternity top at this age, but I still don't want my tops to fit that way.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:01 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I've bee shopping in the mens department since the 80s. First starting with sneakers because they didn't make women's in my size, then clothing. I would and still buy blazers, sweaters, jeans, button downs, jackets, footwear. You name it! I love menswear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty