U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:11 PM

863 posts, read 164,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
No...but wanting to dress like a boy & shopping in guy’s clothing section kinda does IMO....

I don't buy men's clothes, but if I did and started wearing them, I'd still be a woman and feel like a woman because I like being a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 12:29 PM

1,751 posts, read 409,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Not necessarily. It's all in how you wear it.

I wear men's slim fit velvet blazers with fitted jeans and over the knee boots. Nobody is mistaking me as a man. Are there times when I'm in menswear and look more masculine, absolutely, but in those cases its about function and comfort.

and I'll disagree with you on manufacturing differences regardless of materials used.

My wardrobe ranges with pieces from Bergdorfs and NAP to Old Navy and Target's mens section. I buy what I like and what works for I'm trying to put together.

Looking back, I got some of the most compliments when I wore my husband's custom made button downs. I used to laugh and tell people I stole it from my husband's closet.
So...a cotton tee is a cotton tee...you can find the same materials for men or women....it’s the mans cut I don’t like.....what’s to disagree on about materials?

I dunno why you would choose a man’s blazer....there are so many options for us...even styles that might look more manly-ish. Their wide arms & the fit on everything make it impossible IMO....& I *never* said anyone would mistake you as a man......

I can say I would never shop in the guy’s section.....I wasn’t saying you couldn’t.....shrugs.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:47 PM

31,836 posts, read 14,228,060 times
I buy men's hoodies because they are generally made of heavier fabric and they're longer than women's. I have no idea who decided it was 'cute' but most of the women's hoodies I try on hardly cover my waist,

Old 09-27-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I don't buy men's clothes, but if I did and started wearing them, I'd still be a woman and feel like a woman because I like being a woman.
I love being a woman too....& going to the guy’s clothing section wouldn’t make me feel like one.......but I love fashion.....

Old 09-27-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I buy men's hoodies because they are generally made of heavier fabric and they're longer than women's. I have no idea who decided it was 'cute' but most of the women's hoodies I try on hardly cover my waist,
Cropped hoodies are a thing....I love them but I also go the total opposite & buy the super long fashion hoodies for leggings too with the longer sleeves...but that’s all the kinda stuff you won’t find in the boys section. There’s like a zillion styles of hoodies for us.....

Nordstrom Rack has awesome sales too...twice a year...I pick up this stuff kinda stuff for $15....

Old 09-27-2019, 01:25 PM

22,919 posts, read 24,599,342 times
Quote:
So...a cotton tee is a cotton tee...you can find the same materials for men or women....it’s the mans cut I don’t like.....what’s to disagree on about materials?
They're not necessarily the same materials, though. Many men's t-shirts are made of a thicker, denser fabric that holds up better in wearing and washing. A lot of women's shirts are made from a flimsy, almost transparent cotton/blend that doesn't hold up and forces women to have to wear a camisole underneath.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They're not necessarily the same materials, though. Many men's t-shirts are made of a thicker, denser fabric that holds up better in wearing and washing. A lot of women's shirts are made from a flimsy, almost transparent cotton/blend that doesn't hold up and forces women to have to wear a camisole underneath.
BUT you can find 100% cotton or a cotton-polyester blend in both....so it’s not a reason to buy men’s IMO.....just don’t buy the transparent cheaper blend....

E d i t: It’s the mans cut that makes it impossible to wear......

Last edited by TashaPosh; 09-27-2019 at 01:52 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 02:45 PM

7,466 posts, read 2,704,861 times
Quote:
No...but wanting to dress like a boy & shopping in guy’s clothing section kinda does IMO....

You're just kind of judgey aren't you. lol

Old 09-27-2019, 04:04 PM

1,699 posts, read 377,404 times
I always check out the jeans in the men's dept. Wranglers with 28x32 and I'm grabbing them. 28 waist is about the smallest I can find. I wash them in hot water and dry them and they about fit. I've given up on women's pants as they just don't fit me...5'6" with slim hips. And the Hanes colored t-shirts that are sold individually are of better quality in the men's dept IMHO. They wash nice and last longer because the material is heavier.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:27 PM

7,273 posts, read 4,013,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I read an article a while back about women buying men’s jeans because they fit better.

I buy a pack of men’s v neck undershirts and wear them under a sweater or jacket for work. Dress them up with a nice statement necklace and no one can tell it’s a men’s shirt.
I've tried on men's jeans before. They didn't fit me well. Although I'm not pear shaped, I have an average shape, I guess you'd say. Whereas men are straight up and down. If I bought jeans to fit the hips, they were too big at the top. And the legs were too big or something; the legs are straight from the hip, while my legs go in slightly on the outside because of the wider hips. I'm not sure, but I think the length was also a bit shorter, but maybe not. (men's legs are shorter proportionally) But I might give it another try. Could've been the brand I was trying on.

Tops - well the male shoulder width is a lot wider than the female's. My shoulders are only about 14 inches from shoulder bone to shoulder bone. A jacket should be about 15" in the shoulder width for me. Men's tops are wider than that. And they're too long for my 5'5" structure.

I suppose a male t-shirt might do well as a nightshirt. I've bought male socks before (I think boys' socks).

Men's clothes sizes are more uniform, better quality, and cost less. I wish they'd fit me. I might give it another try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty