U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 08:29 AM

11,203 posts, read 5,249,979 times

Advertisements

"Life's too short to wear ugly shoes". LOL. I don't have a problem with my feet as much as I do my back if I walk too long. If I know I'm going to be walking for a while I wear my Sketchers lace-up sneakers or my New Balance running shoes. If I'm going to be doing some walking, but not too much I wear my Easy Spirit ballet type shoes. They have a very slight wedge. With flat feet I found too much arch support winds up hurting my feet.

It gets harder when you're older, at least for me, because I don't want to look like I'm wearing orthopedic shoes but I've had plantar fasciitis in the past so I can't walk long in non-supportive shoes/sandals and I can't wear shoes or sandals with no back on them. Since I live in SW Florida I hate wearing closed shoes when it's 95 degrees which makes finding a comfortable sandal even more difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 09:22 AM
KB4

412 posts, read 1,140,382 times
You would obviously have to try what works for you but I'll mention a few brands that I've had good luck with. My feet are very picky and it's hard to find comfortable shoes. When it's not too hot, I like to wear ankle boots, I've had success with Clarks and Munro. I have a pair of the classic wool Allbirds, they are super soft and comfortable, I got men's because my feet are wide. In hot weather my go-to is Clarks sandals. I have slides from Mephisto that fit my feet better than Birkenstocks. My "business" flats are Cole Haan Air Tali, they use Nike technology in the soles. Gabor is also very comfortable but may be more difficult to find in stores, I do a lot of online shopping. Merrell for more casual.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:56 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,768,964 times
My teenage son practically forced me to buy a pair Adidas Ultraboost. Dicks was having a clearance sale and I got them for $70. The MOST comfortable pair of shoes for a ton of walking. They are pricey though as the regular price is $180 and up

Old 09-25-2019, 10:44 AM

5,832 posts, read 8,386,466 times
Continued thanks everyone! I tell you, at this point, I wish I could order 3-5 pairs of various shoes all at once, try them all out, then return the ones I don't like. Always wanted to know about Ryka too.

QUESTION: Do you guys find that retailers will accept returns of shoes that are a little worn these days? It seems no one really knows until you've walk around in them for 1-2 wks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
New Balance 847. Fantastic/durable walker.
Now I still have to try on both for myself, but it also seems that the New Balance 990v5 is nicely cushioned as well.

When ti comes to SNEAKERS, I seem to like the plushiest, cushiest types.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 09-25-2019 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 12:12 PM

2,584 posts, read 3,597,434 times
Try Altra. They have a free 30 day trial and free shipping so you can return them worn. Not sure if the return shipping is free.

I have returned worn shoes, through Amazon, and gotten a full refund. I wasn't sure they would take them back but they did. I am about to return another pair I wore for a couple of weeks that started hurting my feet. This I also bought through Amazon so we will see if it works.

I just bought the Timp 1.5 (after wearing the Torin 3.5 knit for a couple of weeks and finding it rubbed the top of my toes) and it is a winner! They had a previous model that I always bought (Torin 3.5 mesh) and it is now discontinued. I have bought and returned 4 styles/sizes with the one I am keeping being the 5th.

If you order through Amazon just be sure it says free returns on the top of the page and doesn't add a caveat about some styles/sizes.

But to be 100% sure of returning a used pair just order from the Altra web site. They have a sort feature that allows you to pick the plushest, most cushioned models. I have loved the cushion in both High and Max shoes. Like walking on pillows. Their claim to fame, however, is the wide toe box and that there is no elevation change for your heal. They are completely flat. Alot of the time their stock is low so some times I'll find my size and style on Amazon when it is sold out of their web site.

https://www.altrarunning.com/?gclid=...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 09-25-2019, 09:27 PM

8,348 posts, read 8,860,443 times
I tore a tendon, but not the achilles. I can no longer take 5 miles walks. I'm lucky if I can walk at all.

I have been to several big shot NYC doctors. They have all recommended New Balance 990 running shoes. I have been told that running shoes are made better than walking shoes and offer more support. You don't have to run to reap the benefits. I have also had custom orthotics insoles made. They have helped considerably. I go to a New Balance store and have one particular salesman wait on me.

I have tried Vionic. I do need the raised arch that the shoes come with, but these are weird. I can't wear them.

I am hoping that this year, I can wear some sort of boot with a shorter orthotic. I was able to squeeze my orthotics into a pair of old boots, but these boots are worn. I'd like to find a pair where the insole is removable so that I can use the orthotics.

A lace up shoe will provide more stability than a loafer type.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:34 PM

5,832 posts, read 8,386,466 times
You guys might want to try these: Just TODAY in my email inbox came out a NEW Skechers shoe called Max Cushioning that's super lightweight & ultra-cushioned comfort & at $89, I'd try this 1st before spending $120+.

https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style...Key=9014453019

Thanks mic111. Although they have it listed w/ High after Max in the list re: cushioning, MAX has more than HIGH, so there are 5 styles of Max & 3 of High.

Thanks Coney. Yes, the New Balance 990v5 would be the NB ones I'd try if I were to try that brand. And yes, I'd tend to try running shoes as opposed to walking ones even though I just walk too because running would be more lightweight logically to me, so thanks for confirming that w/ all your doctors.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 09-25-2019 at 09:48 PM..

Old 09-25-2019, 09:50 PM

4,303 posts, read 7,560,224 times
I have nothing to offer that hasn’t already been said, but it’s good to know there are other people out there with shoe/feet problems. I’m a Clark’s girl myself. My biggest problem is my toes will barely flex any more so anything with a heel (even 1.5 inches) is pure agony. I wore heels to work for 30+ years and guess I’m paying the price now.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:08 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,532,055 times
Look up specialty shoe stores. Today they can be hard to find. They’ll sit with you to discuss your needs, measure both feet, and watch you walk. From this they’ll bring out shoes that may fit your needs. I tend to go with New Balance because of the widths and arch support. My wife has to order shoes as most stores don’t carry her size of 5 narrow width. To get shoes in the store that fits her she has to buy children’s shoes and they don’t provide the support she needs.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:12 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,532,055 times
Another option is to find a cobbler, shoe maker. Some cobblers can make a very comfortable dress shoe that will perfectly fit your feet. Some get them to be their dress shoes because of the price and quality of workmanship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or