U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 10:55 AM

5,765 posts, read 8,339,197 times

Advertisements

I've been all for the good-quality, comfort brands since I ruptured my Achilles tendon back in 2008. In the MOSTLY CASUAL (& dressy) categories, what are your favorite most comfortable brands these days? I'm talking about you can walk for a good several hours w/o many sit-down breaks before your feet start to hurt...the shoes you'd bring on a huge trip where you'll be doing a TON of walking?

I'm mainly looking for casual/lifestyle styles, not really sneakers, although you can mention those too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 11:02 AM

8,069 posts, read 10,858,459 times
I love VIONIC brand shoes. The arch support I think makes the difference.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:27 AM

6,666 posts, read 8,007,008 times
I've owned various versions of this shoe from Clark's for years and years. I've walked for hours at Disney World and other places in them with no blisters, etc. They did recently change the sizing a bit I think. A previous pair was a 6 and fit perfectly. I ordered a new pair in a 6 and they are a bit large.

I wear them in the fall and winter months with socks as long as it's not snowing or icy. In the spring and summer I wear them without socks.

https://www.clarksusa.com/c/Patty-Tayna/p/26129025

Old 09-22-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I love VIONIC brand shoes. The arch support I think makes the difference.
Thank you. I've been wanting to try this brand & have often heard about their arch support. I have flat feet, so I don't know if they'll feel good to me...I'm thinking maybe not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I've owned various versions of this shoe from Clark's for years and years. I've walked for hours at Disney World and other places in them with no blisters, etc. They did recently change the sizing a bit I think. A previous pair was a 6 and fit perfectly. I ordered a new pair in a 6 and they are a bit large.

I wear them in the fall and winter months with socks as long as it's not snowing or icy. In the spring and summer I wear them without socks.

https://www.clarksusa.com/c/Patty-Tayna/p/26129025
Thank you. I should have said, I MUST have some kind of heel strap or closed-heel shoe. With my ankle injury that I mentioned above, I don't want to take any chances & tk a step w/ my shoe kicking off & then I trip & reinjure myself, but thanks. Clarks have been pretty good, especially their CloudSteppers line is comfy, although I got these below & my ankle rolled in them a few times, so I had to throw them out ASAP...not taking any risks reinjuring my ankle!

https://www.clarksusa.com/c/Sillian-Paz/p/26120935

Old 09-23-2019, 04:11 PM

22,866 posts, read 14,973,810 times
If you have flat feet, you do need good support under the arches. I think some people might have trouble adjusting to them, but the arch support is generally good for your foot. If your foot also pronates, then it would be doubly good, I think.

I have had plantar fasciitis and am well acquainted with supportive walking shoes. Some good brands for support are: Finn Comfort, Keen, Dansko, Aetrex and Alegria. I replace the the Keen inserts with soft, foam arch supports I buy at Walgreens. Because the Keen styles I buy have firm, stable insteps, the soft and thick foam insert works well.

Finns are best for metatarsal support. They are pricey. I wish I could wear them but my forefoot has widened too much. If they fit you, they are quite good. Aetrex makes comfortable sandals. They provide cushy suppport. I love wearing them in the summer. I intend to try a covered shoe as well. Alegria are worn by people who work on their feet, and they are extremely popular. They tend to run wide, and somehow they don't fit me. But I think they are good comfortable shoe, and they come in a plethora of styles.

Danskos are variable. Some fit me better than others, but they are quality shoes. If they work, they would be great. I own two pair now, and I've replaced the insides with the aforementioned soft arch supports.

And there are Birkenstocks. I devoutly wish I could wear them, but they simply do not fit me. They are great, well made, supportive shoes.

Other brands to try would be Merrill, Wolky, Aravon. I like Merrills, but I can't seem to find a good fit. Wolky runs narrow in the forefoot, and Aravon does not come in my size. But they seem like good shoes to me.

Years ago, I wore some Clarks. But at that time their shoes had little support at the instep, and I had trouble with them. I used to be able to find shoes with an embedded steel shank, but those are not available any more.

I buy from Zappos. But there might be a good comfort shoe store in your area. You could start there. Don't be afraid to try many styles on. That's how you learn what fits. If you support your feet now, your knees will thank you later.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:26 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,090,553 times
I like the Bass penny loafers. I can walk miles in them. They fit my feet perfectly.

I think you should pick an afternoon and go try on a lot of shoes until you find the right pair.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:38 AM

Thanks so far guys. Keep them coming! I have neutral pronation.

silibran, I've heard of all the brands you've mentioned except for I think Finn Comfort, but their site looks familiar. I've probably been to it before too. Their styles are too orthopedic-looking. I like more stylish-looking shoes, but I know that comfort is the priority over looks.

I have my list of sneakers to try:

- Hoka
- Saucony
- Brooks
- A certain New Balance style

I've been wearing Asics for the last few yrs so far.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:39 PM

1,244 posts, read 430,597 times
Quote:
often heard about their arch support. I have flat feet
Chacos.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:45 PM

892 posts, read 768,579 times
I like Sketchers, Clark’s and Birkenstock’s.

Sketchers have really cute styles and are so comfortable. They’re more of a slip on sneaker.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:02 PM

Continued thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Chacos.
Heard of, have their site bookmarked, but never tried yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I like Sketchers, Clark’s and Birkenstock’s.

Sketchers have really cute styles and are so comfortable. They’re more of a slip on sneaker.
Skechers is surprisingly comfy & I like them now. I have a few pairs & if all else fails, I'll buy more. Up until a couple yrs ago, I never really bothered w/ them...they seemed cheap to me & I never saw all the hoopla about them.

Clark's is nice, Birkies, I think I tried once & never again...well, I should never says never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or