U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 AM

542 posts, read 1,507,839 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am going to a wedding next week and found a cute dress but need some help with the accessories. I'll try to describe it...front pleated silk printed dress (comes to the knees) and it looks almost like a tye dye pattern with navy, turquoise and silver/gray coloring. The website for the store shows it with a metallic silver clutch but not any shoe examples. I bought navy patent leather peep-toe shoes with a wedge heel but can't find a navy clutch. So...do I go with silver strappy type shoes and get the clutch it shows? Could I wear a black satiny strappy shoe and get a matching black clutch which are much easier to find? I am fashionally challenged to say the least. If anyone wants to see the dress, its on Club Monaco's website. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times
I would go with the black. Unless the silver shoes are the right color; they may clash with the gray/silver of the dress.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,562,567 times
Another option I would consider....(since it is silk), go to Payless or another shoe store, and have the shoes and clutch dyed the same color.
It is really, really hard to find the "right color" shoes and clutch, looking "pulled together".
I would chose a solid color, however, not bringing in to many other colors to distort the polished, elegant look.
If time is of essence, look at the colors you have in your dress.
The color varieties of "navy" is so drastic sometimes, with silver much easier to match up and find.
Silver, gold metallic are so "in" right now, and widely available.
I didn't take a look at the dress at the website...yet. But, from what I picture.....personally I would chose the silver strappy pumps/ sandals, to go with the matching clutch.
I want this ensemble to "pop" instead of being drowned by muted and darker colors.
Keep in mind though....IF you are going silver, keep your fashion accessory (necklace etc.) to a bare minimum.
Think along those lines " less is more" and let the dress, the shoes and clutch speak for itself.
Just food for thought.....
But, the most important thing is: Have a blast at the wedding!
(Besides, after everyone's been drinking, no one will pay attention to the dress anymore....but to YOU! *wink, wink* LOL )

Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,302,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Hi, I am going to a wedding next week and found a cute dress but need some help with the accessories. I'll try to describe it...front pleated silk printed dress (comes to the knees) and it looks almost like a tye dye pattern with navy, turquoise and silver/gray coloring. The website for the store shows it with a metallic silver clutch but not any shoe examples. I bought navy patent leather peep-toe shoes with a wedge heel but can't find a navy clutch. So...do I go with silver strappy type shoes and get the clutch it shows? Could I wear a black satiny strappy shoe and get a matching black clutch which are much easier to find? I am fashionally challenged to say the least. If anyone wants to see the dress, its on Club Monaco's website. Please help!
Just me but I wouldnt wear black with a print that has navy in it. Im old school. I like things to match.
Also you already have three colors going and black would add a fourth. Very busy. IMO. If it were me I would sick to the dress colors and match my purse to my shoes.

You know if you make a purse you can have something that matches and is unique.. Or take a ready made clutch and just recover it. Navy silk would be nice. A clutch/envelope purse is super simple to make. A lot of dressy/evening purses are cloth. Also if you want to add a little something you could add a simple rhinestone pin or button or even a big clip earring over the fastener.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:27 AM

1,860 posts, read 6,722,732 times
Stay away from the black. If you already have navy wedges they would look great. A silver cluth would be fine. Shoes and hand bags do not have to coordinate anymore. It is a fun fresh dress so anything that is put with it should be the same. Silver strappy sandals with a low heel would also look good. You could add some dark skinny jeans to it for later wear with those same silver strappy sadals and it would look fabulous!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 AM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Stay away from the black. If you already have navy wedges they would look great. A silver cluth would be fine. Shoes and hand bags do not have to coordinate anymore. It is a fun fresh dress so anything that is put with it should be the same. Silver strappy sandals with a low heel would also look good. You could add some dark skinny jeans to it for later wear with those same silver strappy sadals and it would look fabulous!
I second that.
Even though the saying goes something like "black goes with everything".....sometimes it really doesn't. (Like the example the pp stated)
To many colors make it way to busy, and instead draw the attention away from the dress itself.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice! With only a few days left before I fly out, I don't think I have time for the shoe/clutch dying option. Does anyone know if bridal shops tend to have any already dyed? I will head to the mall tomorrow and see what I can find most likely in the silver strappy sandle and clutch combo. The navy wedges I have have the patent (sp?) leather look and not sure if the silver clutch would add too many fabric styles.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 AM
MB2

No, you won't have the time anymore, to have shoes and clutch/ purse matched and custom dyed.
But, do yourself the favor and TAKE THE DRESS with you, when finding a selection for the proper shoes/ clutch.
It will take the guess work out......and you will see right there and then whether it works...or not!
Go to a reputable shoe store with a large selection, and let the experienced sales crew help you match things up.
Like I've mentioned before....my guess is, they will more then likely stir you into the direction of the metallic colors.
It is the newest trend, easily matchable to most colors and styles, and make even the dullest ensemble "pop".
Good luck!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM

110 posts, read 337,133 times
Lovely dress (looked it up) and you can go with silver, or black, personally I'd go with silver, not to many details on either shoe or the clutch. As far as black, if you find sandals with tiny straps, and a small clutch you'll be ready to go, satin of course, no patent with that dress, IMHO. Have fun!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 AM

I am going shopping at lunch today!! A lot of women would enjoy the process of shopping for an outfit for an event, but for me, it is both challenging and stressful lol. I hope I find what I'm looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty