Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 07:12 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yes, it stings very painfully during the whole time they poke around in and around your mouth. Which is less than 5 minutes overall. But it is over a minute after. You walk out their office and forgot about the pain. NO comparison to you being in pain for a week.

I know it doesn't hurt for days but I've had enough people tell me that they'll never do it again after those 5-10 minutes of pain that I have to seriously consider whether I would bear up under it or not. I'm under chronic pain management now for other issues and not sure if I'd want to go thru it.

I wasn't comparing it to being in pain for a week... I was thinking about it in addition to being in pain for a week if I had both procedures done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 07:53 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
OMG this doesn't sound good. I assume you did your due diligence on this doctor? Let us know how you make out!
Yup - this Dr is one of the only Oculofacial plastic surgeons in my area and even the nurses commented on how good he was when I was going in for the original procedure! I think Im just an odd heeling case.
So now, I can close my eye, but my one eye lid is half closed so I'm hoping that resolves! He "thinks" I'll get another build up of scar tissue so he "over-corrected" it to compensate for that. I"m in a better spot than I was a few days ago so I'll take it. And it was much less painful this time around.
I'm really pleased with how my left eye looks though!

Old 09-11-2020, 08:06 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,326,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
Yup - this Dr is one of the only Oculofacial plastic surgeons in my area and even the nurses commented on how good he was when I was going in for the original procedure! I think Im just an odd heeling case.
So now, I can close my eye, but my one eye lid is half closed so I'm hoping that resolves! He "thinks" I'll get another build up of scar tissue so he "over-corrected" it to compensate for that. I"m in a better spot than I was a few days ago so I'll take it. And it was much less painful this time around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I think people are talking about two different problems. One is strictly cosmetic, with excess fat and skin removal (blepharoplasty). The other is a medical condition called ptosis, which is a weakened eyelid muscle that gives you a sleepy, eyes half closed look.

The former isn't covered by insurance unless it's part of ptosis surgery where docs can fiddle with the codes for insurance.

For both surgeries I'd only go to an oculoplastic surgeon.
A friend had a stroke and his eyelids were so badly affected that he had to go to an oculoplastic surgeon too. It was covered by Medicare. The result is amazing

Old 09-13-2020, 12:34 PM

111 posts, read 47,236 times
Quote:
...I had mine done when I lived in SoCal (upper and lower eye lift plus lower face lift) and it was one of the best things I ever did. It's now 20 years later and my eyelids have held up really well -- they're just now starting to have a little excess skin.,,
Avalon, for the upper eyelid lift (which I assume involves removal of excess skin), what are scars like, if any? I've read that some people follow up with laser to eradicate the fine, almost-imperceptible scars, whereas for some it heals invisibly on its own. Thanks

Old 09-13-2020, 05:06 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaladane714 View Post
Avalon, for the upper eyelid lift (which I assume involves removal of excess skin), what are scars like, if any? I've read that some people follow up with laser to eradicate the fine, almost-imperceptible scars, whereas for some it heals invisibly on its own. Thanks
The scar is in the crease of your eyelid so it doesn't show. I had a little bit of a scar on the outside part of my left lid but it's not noticeable to anyone but me.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:34 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
Sorry to hear of the trouble you've experienced, sounding like there is some improvement, now. All of that is something to consider.

I have yet to have mine done, as I mentioned prior, since Covid is very much alive in CA and had decided to wait. I have had concerns of the surgery itself and then being on my own needing to be prepared for everything during recovery time.

One thing troublesome that I otherwise need to have cleared up, is having less close-range focus and floaters, in addition to the droopy lid, since the Cataract surgery a while ago of a manual IOL insertion.
After being told for too long to "let it heal", I stopped seeing that Doctor. My prior Ophthamalogist I returned to said he "wouldn't go in there". No one knows what I am seeing, though expressing this.

While using my iPad for instance, I have tested out how, if lightly pressing on lid, it will bring the fuzzy type into focus. I am relying upon my right eye to read. (Distance is okay, the impaired close-range drives me nuts).

Oh, and my close range was ruined by the first Cataract surgeon, then when my prior Doctor (I had returned to) did Cataract surgery in my other eye with a laser, being fine overall, he said that he "evened 'em up" (the close-range focus), though I had discussed that prior to. Meaning, after being used to performing very close-range tasks without glasses, I've been made to focus about 7" away from instead, making it difficult. I cannot wear "readers", being told they do not have for my needed correction, astigmatism.

I feel that I need SOMEONE to really hear me and provide an explanation and clear up if possible, besides the droopy lid, so there would be even more to accomplish. The surgeon having met earlier this year to have repair the lid (whenever I reschedule), I expect to go over this again with. Then, will need new progressive lenses. Yep, we don't all the the same vision.

Sorry to begin a rant.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 09-13-2020 at 07:47 PM..

Old 09-13-2020, 07:35 PM

111 posts, read 47,236 times
Quote:
The scar is in the crease of your eyelid so it doesn't show. I had a little bit of a scar on the outside part of my left lid but it's not noticeable to anyone but me.
Thanks, Avalon

Last edited by Zaladane714; 09-13-2020 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: added post quote

Old 09-14-2020, 02:41 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,326,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Sorry to hear of the trouble you've experienced, sounding like there is some improvement, now. All of that is something to consider.

I have yet to have mine done, as I mentioned prior, since Covid is very much alive in CA and had decided to wait. I have had concerns of the surgery itself and then being on my own needing to be prepared for everything during recovery time.

One thing troublesome that I otherwise need to have cleared up, is having less close-range focus and floaters, in addition to the droopy lid, since the Cataract surgery a while ago of a manual IOL insertion.
After being told for too long to "let it heal", I stopped seeing that Doctor. My prior Ophthamalogist I returned to said he "wouldn't go in there". No one knows what I am seeing, though expressing this.

While using my iPad for instance, I have tested out how, if lightly pressing on lid, it will bring the fuzzy type into focus. I am relying upon my right eye to read. (Distance is okay, the impaired close-range drives me nuts).

Oh, and my close range was ruined by the first Cataract surgeon, then when my prior Doctor (I had returned to) did Cataract surgery in my other eye with a laser, being fine overall, he said that he "evened 'em up" (the close-range focus), though I had discussed that prior to. Meaning, after being used to performing very close-range tasks without glasses, I've been made to focus about 7" away from instead, making it difficult. I cannot wear "readers", being told they do not have for my needed correction, astigmatism.

I feel that I need SOMEONE to really hear me and provide an explanation and clear up if possible, besides the droopy lid, so there would be even more to accomplish. The surgeon having met earlier this year to have repair the lid (whenever I reschedule), I expect to go over this again with. Then, will need new progressive lenses. Yep, we don't all the the same vision.

Sorry to begin a rant.
Hope you find a good eye doctor who will clear up your vision problem. Some cataract patients say that residual astigmatism cannot be corrected. One would have to live with it and the floaters too.
Before my bad eye had its cataract removed, my good eye appeared larger. After I had the cataract removed from my good eye, it is now one-third or half the size of the other eye depending how tired I was when my photos were taken. I found a reputable oculoplastic surgeon who has done countless eyelid surgeries, but I was told that he is not likely to operate on me since I did not go to him for my cataract surgeries. The only route is private "cosmetic" surgery not covered by healthcare insurance. OTOH an eye doctor can tweak a cataract surgery "cosmetic" and non-essential, just because you cannot read with that eye.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:43 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Hope you find a good eye doctor who will clear up your vision problem. Some cataract patients say that residual astigmatism cannot be corrected. One would have to live with it and the floaters too.
Before my bad eye had its cataract removed, my good eye appeared larger. After I had the cataract removed from my good eye, it is now one-third or half the size of the other eye depending how tired I was when my photos were taken. I found a reputable oculoplastic surgeon who has done countless eyelid surgeries, but I was told that he is not likely to operate on me since I did not go to him for my cataract surgeries. The only route is private "cosmetic" surgery not covered by healthcare insurance. OTOH an eye doctor can tweak a cataract surgery "cosmetic" and non-essential, just because you cannot read with that eye.
Oh..thanks for that. I plan to go over everything again with the one expected to repair the lid, when I feel it is the right time. I know he deemed it necessary. I used to have equally wide-open eyes. I'm just tired of it all...and don't want any more problems.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:25 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've had a bunch of relatives that have had it done, the results all look normal after a month or two. They look much better, honestly, not at all fake. All of them save for my MIL had it done for medical reasons. It's one of those things where even if it's obvious there was some work done, it looks infinitely better.
A bunch of my older relatives, including my dad, aunt, uncles and 2 cousins have also. Starting 10-20 years ago, mostly in their mid to late 60s.

Nothing looked fake or strange They all looked more alert, less grumpy and a tad younger. Better, but unless you knew, you could not figure out what it was.

I want this in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty