Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 01:17 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times

Advertisements

Summertime only:
I tan - once a week, between 11:30 - 1:30 starting w/ 15 working up to 45 mins on each side.
11:30 - 1:30 UVB rays are at their peak. When shadows get longer, there is more UVA. UVB = Vit D.
Eczema - clears it up completely with sun
Vit D - the natural way to get Vit D.

Last year - was really good about it.
This year - been too hot and humid. It is not enjoyable to lay there, especially face down on your stomach with sweat dripping and accumulating on your face and drenching into your eyes. I should be doing it this year with Covid and the need for Vit D, but cannot take the torture. So I supplement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 02:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
I've never done the sun tanning thing. I've never had a tan. Whatever is in most people's skin to darken a bit, I don't have. I just turn lobster red. I am prone to sun poisoning as well. I never understood why anyone would spend anytime laying in the sun or a tanning bed. Wouldn't you rather have fun? Aside from the skin cancer issues, why waste time like that?

Old 08-10-2020, 02:21 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Not even as a teen, I thought sunbathing an absolute BORE. Any tan I get is by virtue of enjoying outdoors such as hiking or swimming and I always wear sunscreen.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:43 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I used to play "sun goddess" in the summers and would lay out to get a tan (which was hard given that half Scots/Irish/German and the other half Italian and whatever, she doesn't know) - I've gotten to the point where I just don't care that I look like a ghost - hehe. Used to do fake tan but haven't done that either.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:25 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
My mother used to put on her bathing suit, lie down on a towel in the backyard during the summer with a pack of cigarettes at her side. She would flip over at regular intervals.

Personally, I found lying around trying to get tanned rather boring. Besides, I didn't tan easily. So, it never became a thing for me. One winter we vacationed in the tropics (this was before sunscreen). When we came back, everybody asked why I wasn't tanned.

Nowadays, I wear a face cream that has sunscreen in it. If I plan to go outside for any great length of time, I wear a visor to protect the skin on my face.

About 6 years ago, we went to Chicago in the summer and took an architectural boat tour. I figured I'd be fine with the visor and sunscreen on my face. My face was fine but my skin by the neck line of my shirt got sunburned---and we weren't even out that long! I have learned from that experience.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

About 6 years ago, we went to Chicago in the summer and took an architectural boat tour. I figured I'd be fine with the visor and sunscreen on my face. My face was fine but my skin by the neck line of my shirt got sunburned---and we weren't even out that long! I have learned from that experience.
Water sunburns something awful. I ended up with sun poisoning from a whale watch in May in Cape Cod on a miserably cloudy day. The rays all reflect off the water as I learned. Total nightmare vacation!

Old 08-10-2020, 05:08 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Summertime only:
I tan - once a week, between 11:30 - 1:30 starting w/ 15 working up to 45 mins on each side.
11:30 - 1:30 UVB rays are at their peak. When shadows get longer, there is more UVA. UVB = Vit D.
Eczema - clears it up completely with sun
Vit D - the natural way to get Vit D.

Last year - was really good about it.
This year - been too hot and humid. It is not enjoyable to lay there, especially face down on your stomach with sweat dripping and accumulating on your face and drenching into your eyes. I should be doing it this year with Covid and the need for Vit D, but cannot take the torture. So I supplement.
I'm not going to condone sun tanning, But for your situation, To lay out in the hot and humid, you can take one of those big spray bottles from the dollar store and fill it with lots of ice cubes and some water, and spray yourself while outside. The water will also help you tan. If tanning is what you choose to do.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:44 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Water sunburns something awful. I ended up with sun poisoning from a whale watch in May in Cape Cod on a miserably cloudy day. The rays all reflect off the water as I learned. Total nightmare vacation!
Oh my! I'm sorry to hear that happened to you! I just read what happens when you get it. How awful that you had to go through all that.

In my case I ended up buying something to soothe the pain of the sunburn. It helped some.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:23 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I stopped "laying out" in my 20s. I am 70 now, live in Florida but rarely go to the beach. I do, however, love to get fresh air and exercise so I get regular doses of sun, never wear sunscreen. I don't burn and usually have a medium tan. Winter I get much paler due to being covered up. I think it's healthy to get some regular sun, of course within the limitations of what one's skin can take. Those "fake tanners" just make me look yellow and I hate the smell and greasy feel

Old 08-10-2020, 08:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
I say "still" sun tan, because when I was a teenager and early 20's, it was ALL about how tan we could get, how dark we could get, I would be outside from 10 am to the last little bit of sun was still shining at dusk. I only used baby oil and any tan lotion that said "tan accelerator" and sometimes used those aluminum reflector thingys.

I stopped tanning completely at age 35. Didn't want the wrinkles or these black spots on my arms (are they freckles?). Not to mention skin cancer.

I have used the sun glow lotions and they are okay but difficult to spread evenly.

There is a woman at the community pool here that looks about 35, 40 years old, and she is outside tanning EVERY day, for months now, and I am just wondering why... especially with all the sun glow lotions out there.

Isn't having a tan kind of "out"? Around here I don't see many people with tans anymore.

It got me wondering.... do you still sun tan out in the sun on any kind of consistent basis?
No i dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty