Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 12:00 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Is aloha print a color? Currently, my favorite color seems to be batiks, usually in darker colors like deep ocean blue or a darker purple. Some forest greens. Although they're bespoke clothes, so it's not just one color but a mix usually with a bright pop of color although that's usually in the trim.

I'm thinking of shifting to some more 'traditional' aloha prints if I can find them. The new really large bold ones don't seem to have the same charm. The patterns are frequently vintage, may as well match the fabric to the patterns.
Hawaiian shirts are great. I got 2 for DH but he almost never wears them. I suspect they are too "loud" for his low-key personality, not that he'd admit that!

For me, just black/grey (looks better with blond hair) with the occasional lime-green popper or salmon. Almost nothing patterned since I have few clothes so don't want to shout "repeat"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 01:40 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times
Blue and Grey when I worked. Now retired: mostly earth tones.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:56 PM

860 posts, read 1,584,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
My son when he was about 7 once told me when I was dressed conservatively for work in a beige blouse that I looked like a manilla folder! I have had platinum or winter ice hair and lighter skin tones pretty much since I was about 30. So for the last 30 years I have avoided beige unless I wear a bright colored sweater or jacket over it.

I choose the brighter colors but black also looks good. I have a lot of reds, purple, bright pinks, burgundy, and some shades of blue.I stay away from whites and yellows. Pastels make me look old and at 71, I am not ready to give into looking old.

Good for you! I confess that the fabulous Iris Apfel is my fashion icon!

I'm a bit older than you and have fair skin, silvery gray hair and dark eyes. When I was younger, I had natural auburn hair and my wardrobe was mostly black, browns, beige, ivory, grey, greens and blues. After I retired a few years ago and stopped coloring my hair "to look younger", the muted and earth toned colors were no longer flattering. I weeded out what didn't work and pared my rather extensive wardrobe down to basics in colors that work for me now. Black and khaki pants, denim jeans. Blouses, layering tees, other tops in black, white, jewel-tone colors. Outdoor jackets in black and red. A few tops are bold, bright abstract or animal prints. NO pastels and NO floral old-lady prints that clothing industry folks decree most suitable for over-60's, for goodness sake! I still keep a basic black 2-piece suit for funerals and a floor-length black skirt for formal occasions.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:23 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Most of my clothing are the colors below, or include them.
Black
White
Charcoal gray
Navy blue
Reds (only shades with a bluish undertone)

Old 10-25-2020, 04:11 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Is aloha print a color? Currently, my favorite color seems to be batiks, usually in darker colors like deep ocean blue or a darker purple. Some forest greens. Although they're bespoke clothes, so it's not just one color but a mix usually with a bright pop of color although that's usually in the trim.

I'm thinking of shifting to some more 'traditional' aloha prints if I can find them. The new really large bold ones don't seem to have the same charm. The patterns are frequently vintage, may as well match the fabric to the patterns.

Aloha print is a print, right. I was originally talking about SOLID colors when I started this thread, but we can spread out to patterns/designs as I said in my post #31 which patterns I like/have.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:29 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
light grey. dark grey. olive green. cocoa brown. pale greyish-sky blue. faded red.
a little black.
a little white.
denim.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
light grey. dark grey. olive green. cocoa brown. pale greyish-sky blue. faded red.
a little black.
a little white.
denim.

Yes, like bluish-grey too!

Olive green isn't too bad. I should wear it a bit more often.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:24 PM

1,107 posts, read 551,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yes, like bluish-grey too!

Olive green isn't too bad. I should wear it a bit more often.
I recently bought a dress and pants from Macy's in a color they call Urban Olive. It looks like a cross between olive and gray -- a bit more sophisticated than typical olive green. I like it.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
I recently bought a dress and pants from Macy's in a color they call Urban Olive. It looks like a cross between olive and gray -- a bit more sophisticated than typical olive green. I like it.

I looked it up & the only dress it brought up under that color name is this tank dress by the brand Alfani. Is that it? The only other thing was this long tunic shirtdress by the same brand. Yes, nice color.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:55 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times
Black, red, and green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty