Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 10:00 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The Match Game was on when I was a teen - absolutely my favorite game show EVER. It was hilarious, and would not make it on today due to all the political correctness and what have you.

https://tv.avclub.com/10-match-game-...-bl-1798266455
It IS on today, and as racy as ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 10:04 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I clicked on the article, and noticed that Kirstie Alley was an early contestant and found this five-minute clip with her, Betty White, and Jamie Lee Curtis (1979).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6uC7SgzTLM
Too funny! She already had her first acting role in 1978. Apparently she went to CA to study interior decorating, and wound up in the acting biz.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:18 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...and that's how "fashion" works.

Higher prescription lenses are thicker but most people don't require that much correction - and certainly if they do, smaller frames are available they just won't be "trendy" is all, at the moment anyway.

I wore big glasses back in the '80's...about a -2.5 diopter correction (that's maybe 20/100 vision) - my multifocal contact are much better for me now.
It is a trend that comes and goes, it is interesting to watch. Glasses were huge at some point in the 80's, then got smaller, then in the early 90's they got big again- then got REALLY small by the mid to late 90's into the early 2000's.... like TINY. Then we moved to more varying sizes and are now back to huge ones being popular again.

Nothing really new here, but it is funny how at some point we say "that will NEVER be popular again" and then some years later it is.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:30 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
It all depends on your prescription and tolerance. If you have a high prescription and you PD (distance between your eyes) is off by 1 mm it can cause problems. For example you wear and -5.00D in each eye and your PD is off 1 mm that 1 degree of prism. If you eyes are not in the center of the vertical part of your lenses, more prism, like the floor rising up etc. Internet glasses are fine for those will a low prescription and those with tolerance for prism and other distortions (from astigmatism).
I haven’t had any issue ordering online. I have gotten my PD measured at the optician and just use those measurements when I order from Zenni. FWIW, I do not order progressives online, as being off there can really cause some problems.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Why are people so surprised when fashions change? Eyeglass fashions change. If you don’t like something, don’t buy it for yourself. Just understand that a very widespread fashion will change almost everything for awhile.

Look at actor Gregory Peck in the film To Kill a Mockingbird. He is wearing larger sized glasses than were fashionable for the time period in which the story is set. But the larger sized glasses were fashionable in the time the movie was made,

Remember when everyone in the ‘70s wore bell bottoms? Then they didn’t. Then they did again. It is the same thing. If narrow gold frame glasses ever come back in style, I am prepared. I have an old frame that is quite beautiful saved to wear again if I live that long. But now I wear lightweight rimless glasses. I am not moving back to heavy plastic frames unless they become the only available style. Been there, done that.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:56 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Why are people so surprised when fashions change? Eyeglass fashions change. If you don’t like something, don’t buy it for yourself.

I know right? It makes no sense to me.....specially with something like eyeglasses & sunglasses when there are so many styles that are "trendy". AND you aren't limited to trendy if you don't want.......there are "older styles" too. Both of my grandparents wear glasses & my grandpa had bigger lenses BEFORE they were trendy. I love my granddaddy....but maybe it's why I don't like the really big frames & lenses on ppl except for sunglasses. It reminds me of older ppl or it seems like a necessity because of their prescription & it distorts their face a little IMO. edit: it doesn't seem "fashionable"

Last edited by TashaPosh; 12-03-2020 at 11:53 AM..

Old 12-03-2020, 12:11 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Where does it end?! Just saw some woman on a news show and the huge thick rimmed glasses must have taken up more than half of her face.

Does this really add to anyone's appearance, unless they are really bad looking and it conceals more of their face, but for most people- maybe too much.

I see people in these massive glasses and try to picture them without glasses or with more proportionate rim sizes and styles and they would look so much better without the harsh lines obscuring their features.
This started out as an anti-fashion statement. Being anti-fashion became trendy, so then the clunky glasses became fashionable. What I've noticed lately, is that the frames are getting less thick/heavy-looking; the latest batch my optometrist's office got in have more delicate frames, but are still in the oversized, awkward-looking style. Mercifully, the office's buyer also selects a nice variety of catchy smaller, well-proportioned frames in a variety of colors and color combinations, and styles.

I do think the "trendy" clunky look is unattractive, and I'm dismayed at the high percentage of inventory that's given over to them, in nearly all eyewear shops. In a few, that's all they have. I sometimes can't help from voicing my opinion of them. Note to self: stop doing that.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:11 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Did not know it was on, but honestly those people are not celebrities by any stretch of the imagination.
The only celeb on there is Alec. It's just hard to beat the original gang. But thanks for the update!
I watch Match Game from 1975, with Gene Rayburn.....on Netflix

Old 12-03-2020, 12:17 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This started out as an anti-fashion statement. Being anti-fashion became trendy, so then the clunky glasses became fashionable. What I've noticed lately, is that the frames are getting less thick/heavy-looking; the latest batch my optometrist's office got in have more delicate frames, but are still in the oversized, awkward-looking style. Mercifully, the office's buyer also selects a nice variety of catchy smaller, well-proportioned frames in a variety of colors and color combinations, and styles.
I think some people can actually look good in the thicker frames. Prue Lieth on the British Baking Show has great, thick glasses and I think she’s now started her own line. The first hostess on the Pottery Throwdown Kate Malone also wears a lot of fun statement glasses.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:12 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
What TV stars choose is up to them, but a good optician won't put you in a frame that doesn't fit your face. It can be hideously ugly, but if it doesn't fit, it affects the optics to your detriment, so people should not wear frames that are either too large or too small. Signed,

A Good Optician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty