Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 09:27 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,884,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
US Polo Assn was always a mid/low market brand.

It tried to catch on the Ralph Lauren wagon, but it didn't work. IMO

Walmart though, I will say is making some major investments to try to upgrade their product lines. They are facing fierce competition from Amazon, and they realize that they need to elevate the brand a bit to stay competitive.

I do not see them selling the likes of Nike or Addidas. But I think they are going to sign on some more brands that were sold at shuttered department stores like JC Penney.

For example, Target now sells Levi jeans. They never use to sell full blown Levi, they sold a lower end rebranded version of a Levi jean.

But now some Target stores they sell the $50 Levis. I see Walmart following suit but on a bit lighter scale.

This is actually more common in Europe. Department stores are not very common in Europe. They have individual branded stores or big box stores similar to a Target or Walmart and they sell many elevated brands within those along with everyday household good, electronics, toys, etc.

For example, I could see Walmart signing on Columbia jackets and Target signing on North Face in select markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The mainline Levi's is sold by Walmart on Walmart.com (not in physical Walmart stores). Other mid-range to sub-premium brands now sold by Walmart on Walmart.com as online exclusives include IZOD, Van Heusen, Arrow, and Lands End (all of which are also sold by Amazon), among others. I can potentially see Walmart adding Chaps (Ralph Lauren's moderately priced brand) to its brands being sold on Walmart.com.

Maybe y'all didn't understand my post or thought I was being facetious... but Walmart.com literally sells Gucci.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gucci-Syn...SABEgIpEPD_BwE

...and Burberry

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Burberry-...ll&athena=true

Wal-Mart also directly sells Nike hats on its Web site AND sells third party Nike sneakers on its Web site as well.

And let's be clear, USPA is the ACTUAL US Polo Association's brand. So it's legit. Just in the fashion-sphere, it's perceived as low/mid market. USPA and RL have been in legal battles for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 09:28 AM

7,320 posts, read 12,273,964 times
Here is how I would historically group certain brands:

Economy - Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Gildan
Mid-Low - US Polo Assn, Arrow
Mid-Range - IZOD, Chaps, Van Heusen
Semi-Premium - Nautica, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, Geoffrey Beene
Premium - Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Lacoste
Luxury - Gucci, Burberry, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Ralph Lauren Collection

I always viewed Walmart stores as an outlet for those in the Economy range.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:33 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,539,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post

It screams I cant afford Polo so heres this...

US POLO Assn was before the designer Polo...so it’s not a copy. It’s just affordable clothes. Even Polo RL is old fashioned & out of style IMO....so it makes it worse if somebody thinks they are copying it.Now there is Ralph Lauren Purple and Double RL. I prefer the newer & younger designers tho.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Here is how I would historically group certain brands:

Economy - Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Gildan
Mid-Low - US Polo Assn, Arrow
Mid-Range - IZOD, Chaps, Van Heusen
Semi-Premium - Nautica, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, Geoffrey Beene
Premium - Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Lacoste
Luxury - Gucci, Burberry, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Ralph Lauren Collection

I always viewed Walmart stores as an outlet for those in the Economy range.

Not bad... I'd actually put Tommy in Semi premium. The luster of its brand has taken a huge hit over the years, imo. I'd argue that CK, depending on the line/sub brand, can be Semi.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:51 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,224,733 times
In my opinion PRL, TH, CK and Lacoste are not premium, more like Semi-premium to mid range.

Premium:
Hugo Boss, Ermenegildo Zegna, Michael Koors, Ralph Lauren Collection.

Luxury:
Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Armani, Burberry, Dolce & Gabbana, Ferragamo, Versace.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

And let's be clear, USPA is the ACTUAL US Polo Association's brand. So it's legit. Just in the fashion-sphere, it's perceived as low/mid market. USPA and RL have been in legal battles for years.

It’s not perceived as low market...it is low market, ha. AND Polo Ralph Lauren is old & more low & mid market now. IMO it’s as dead as Abercrombie & Fitch...only lots worse because it’s been dead for longer.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
In my opinion PRL, TH, CK and Lacoste are not premium, more like Semi-premium to mid range.

Premium:

Luxury:

No...it was a big thing in fashion when Michael Kors bought Versace a couple of years ago...it’s not considered luxury anymore by a lot of ppl. Some were totally disgusted by it.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post

Premium:

Luxury:

MK is questionable. It can alternate between semi and Premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It’s not perceived as low market...it is low market, ha. AND Polo Ralph Lauren is old & more low & mid market now. IMO it’s as dead as Abercrombie & Fitch...only lots worse because it’s been dead for longer.

PRL is still pretty strong within certain circle and demos. But PRL's designs have been stagnant for quite some time. They've tried to retro some designs from the heyday , but it's not the same. Kinda too late for that. Need something fresh.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
MK is questionable. It can alternate between semi and Premium.

PRL is still pretty strong within certain circle and demos. But PRL's designs have been stagnant for quite some time. They've tried to retro some designs from the heyday , but it's not the same. Kinda too late for that. Need something fresh.

It might be popular with older ppl...but IMO they tried to create something fresh with new labels...like Double RL & Purple. Ita tho that all of it is stagnant....there are too many younger & more refreshing designers on the scene.^^

Old 01-18-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It might be popular with older ppl...

lol NO...Early 20 somethings within a particular demo still wear polo, and older people within a certain demo still wear polo. There's a booming resell market of authentic 90s Polo. There's a niche of people who compete to buy these items, which often sell for 4 figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty