Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 08:04 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Wasn't aware they were ever OUT of fashion for a well-dressed man.

That, a wedding band and "maybe" a wrist band of some kind are about the limits for bling men are socially allowed to wear, per the fashion police.

Speaking of smartwatches...what I call fitness watches...bought a Garmin MARQ Expedition some months ago, to monitor progress of my weight loss plus track activities. It barely passes the nerd-test, being smaller and far less ugly than my otherwise highly useful Garmin Fenix 5X. The latter was big, black, and was what it was...this is best compromise I could come up with at the moment.

My Ulysse Nardin Marine Chrono just sits there on my wrist and looks good. Oh, and tells the time and date, too.
That is what I always thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 10:23 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I have three watches that I wear but only for certain occasions. Now that I am retired, I don't wear a watch and normally don't put one on when going anywhere else but church. I have a Tiffany 14K gold, Skagen SS, and a titanium. Keeping batteries in them is the biggest pain but my phone is mostly my time piece.

It seems that most people have smart watches that you see on TV and other places. It makes me wonder if Rolex, Tag Heuer and others have seen a downturn in demand.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:56 AM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I have three watches that I wear but only for certain occasions. Now that I am retired, I don't wear a watch and normally don't put one on when going anywhere else but church. I have a Tiffany 14K gold, Skagen SS, and a titanium. Keeping batteries in them is the biggest pain but my phone is mostly my time piece.

It seems that most people have smart watches that you see on TV and other places. It makes me wonder if Rolex, Tag Heuer and others have seen a downturn in demand.
You can always go with an automatic or manual wind watch and will not need to worry about batteries.

I can guarantee you that Rolex is not seeing a downturn in demand. Demand for their popular sports model watches is at an all time high, IMO. I know a few other watch brands are having the same 'issue' of high demand. I guess it's a nice thing for the manufacturers.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:01 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
They never went out of fashion.
You beat me to it. I've worn one since I was a kid.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:31 AM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Yeah I think interest is growing. I do think smart watches have kind of fractured the whole wristwatch thing, though.

I also worry that some of the cheap fashion watches like MVMT might do as much harm as good when it comes to getting people into watches. It might be fun to afford a few different styles of watches, but if they aren’t of quality you might just move on.

I do think people of my age - let’s say, 30-40 - have sort of discovered some of the “finer” things in life. One of them being that it’s kind of crazy to have this mechanical thing on your wrist ticking away. Lower-end mechanical watches, IMHO, are a thing now.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:36 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
I've worn one for a least 70 years. For the last 50 or so, I've had Roman numeral dials, I just like the look of them.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:39 AM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
You can always go with an automatic or manual wind watch and will not need to worry about batteries.
Yup. I also despise batteries. But Citizen EcoDrive and Seiko solar watches are another great option. They’re powered by light. You’ll never have to bother with a battery. I wore my Citizen EcoDrive as a daily for nearly 10 years. Tough as nails, and it’s not even a sport watch. The only reason I don’t wear it as a daily now is because I got a Seiko automatic, the Citizen still ticks away. If I ever went quartz again, it’s solar or bust.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:36 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times
I gave up wearing them for a long time, until I got tired of having to pull my phone out of a pocket just to see the time. And if I was outside on a bright day I'd have to find a shady spot or turn my back to the sun just to be able to read it. At least with a pocket watch, which I had also used from time to time, I didn't have to turn anything on to read it.

So now I wear a nice Seiko Coutura Solar that I'm very happy with. I don't focus too much on the style aspects, but I will say it hits a nice medium point between casual/sporty and dressy. Among other great features it has a sapphire crystal so it's practically unscratchable. If you do care at all what your watch looks like, sapphire is essential because a scratched up cheap crystal looks about as good as a five-year old faded pair of Dockers slacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty