Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 11:14 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most skinny jeans aren't made of typical jeans-weight denim. They're of softer cotton with stretch.
No - I am not talking about the "jeggings" (which are also stupid) but actual jeans. My sister and I tried a bunch on last year (in Buckle) so I am speaking from recent experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 01:40 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No - I am not talking about the "jeggings" (which are also stupid) but actual jeans. My sister and I tried a bunch on last year (in Buckle) so I am speaking from recent experience.
I have a lot of non-jeggings skinny jeans and they are definitely softer and have more stretch.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:18 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I have a lot of non-jeggings skinny jeans and they are definitely softer and have more stretch.
Perhaps a tiny bit - but still a lousy fabric for anything to be fitting skin tight. I just don't understand how people can wear them. They even look uncomfortable.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:09 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
I loved my bell bottom jeans in the 1970s. They finally came back.
If bell bottoms can come back, so can skinny jeans.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:23 PM

125 posts, read 76,075 times
Wearing skinny jeans and leggings made people look like they forgot to put something on over it (like only wearing tights with a top). Looks like they forgot to put on pants or a skirt or dress.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:23 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,574 times
Tighter suit pants and jeans were relatively tight since the 1960s. Ever see the Beatles in their thin dress pants and suits? Ever see the Jeans and pants the Hippies wore? How about even Elvis in the 50s? Yes he went to bells in the 70s. All did.

Ever see 70s live performance videos of Rock Star Concerts? Skin-tight Low-rise jeans... I was just watching on YouTube the video of Led Zeppelin's even offically video of 1971 before the 1980s MTV official ones began even.... thin- skin- tight low-rise bells. Not much left to the imagination looking below the waist..... if you know what I mean.....

The ole Partridge Family sit-come music show.... Keith or David Cassidy who was a young girls dream then in his low-waist TIGHT Bells too.....

The 80s had the Big Hair bands in TIGHT JEANS... some later 80s and 90s a bit of bagginess came in and those acid-washed varieties....

Old 02-12-2021, 06:24 PM

3,094 posts, read 2,000,436 times
Jeans have always been one of the top toughest garments for humans to wear with visual success, in my opinion. Also, I've personally always found the fabric super uncomfortable. In the old days, they were thick, scratchy denim & now, everything has so much stretch, even if buying the proper size, I feel bound up like stuffed grape leaves.

I've typically had to try on a dozen or more pairs to find 1 that fits comfortably everywhere, looks flattering & doesn't do something it shouldn't... ride up, fall down, gap in the back when sitting, too tight in delicate places, long enough legs, proper waist fit so as not to cause muffin top, proper rise (too low can look too provocative, too high can look like an SNL character). There are so many variables.

I've seen less than a dozen people in my life, who I think look great in jeans... yep, my opinion. And, that speaks more to what I find attractive as far as hip/butt shape on wo/men. Many choose based on label & fad, rather than proper fit, style for their body type & comfy fit. I've seen many girls/women buy a smaller size than they need & the end result is too much squishing, binding, pushing in the wrong direction & flattening in unflattering places.

I've seen many men do the opposite... buy so that the waist is comfortable, not caring that huge swathes of material are baggy & hanging (usually the seat of the pants), making them look unstylish & out of shape.

I think jeans look great on kids & teens/early 20s, any style... wear what ya want, wear what your friends are wearing, that's what kids do.

I own 2 pairs of skinny jeans, cuz I got them for $3/each when traveling & needed something to wear... I wear them around the house only & will be cutting off the legs for shorts, cuz I just don't like a gripping fit around my ankles. They fit well, but I also feel too old to wear that style, so I wouldn't wear them out.

I'm old enough that I've been around for elephant bells in the 70s, skinny jeans with zippered ankles (1st time 'round in the 80s), acid washed/brightly colored/distressed in the 90s & even Jenkos & gaucho jeans, complete with bows just below the knees... I forget when the latter was around... 70s maybe?

I prefer to dress up, so jeans aren't something I wear often & although I think many don't look well styled in jeans for my personal style, I don't judge. Wear what you want, but if at a job, dress professionally, which means nicely tailored.

If skinny jeans are out, they'll come back when I'm an elderly woman, no doubt.

Also, through much trial & error, I find that men's small jeans or sometimes boys XL fit me best. I'm tall & thinner, so have smaller hips/butt & long legs, like a boy.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:32 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
I still see tons of teens and college kids wearing skinny jeans. I wouldn't say they are out, but other styles are becoming more popular and we have more options.

I have some "mom jeans", too. I like how they look on other people, but they kind of overwhelm my frame. I'm too short- I'd need them all altered to hit me right. Skinny jeans I can manage a little easier.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:56 AM

1,438 posts, read 733,625 times
So GenZ is copying GenX now?

Oh God somebody Shoot me I'm Now old enough that the clothes I wore in My 20's have Cycled back into fashion!!!!!

Old 02-13-2021, 06:16 AM

1,438 posts, read 733,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
Skinny pants of any kind on women are ugly and Gross. Yuck.
Speak for yourself, a toned fit woman looks yummy in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty