Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 06:37 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Clothing is not an investment.
Good clothing used to be an investment and something like a Harris tweed jacket could be passed down for several generations. Also wedding gowns, overcoats, etc.

It's only in the 20th century that we got used to the idea of cheap mass-produced clothing to wear and dispose of because it keeps people buying more clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 07:09 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
About $700. That is about as high as I would go. It's a nice custom tailored suit. I have seen suits for a few thousand dollars in expensive men's stores but I won't go that high.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Everyone should have one "good" suit. You need something to wear for job interviews, weddings, funerals, etc.

I say good in quotation marks because you should be able to find a decent quality suit for about $500, that usually includes alterations as well.

I spent $1200 on a suit a couple years ago, it'll probably be the last suit I buy unless I get really fat or something. Main reason I bought it was because it was from a going out of business sale and I had a friend who worked there, so I also got their employee discount. Normal price for that suit was almost $4k, so I figured it'd be the only time I'd ever have an opportunity to buy a suit worthy of any possible occasion. My other suits are in the $500-800 range and would be what I wear to job interviews.

I don't own a suit, but I work in a profession in which people don't wear suits. I don't think suits are necessary attire for weddings or funerals. Sport coat, dress shirt, tie and dress slacks seem to be sufficient.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:09 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't own a suit, but I work in a profession in which people don't wear suits. I don't think suits are necessary attire for weddings or funerals. Sport coat, dress shirt, tie and dress slacks seem to be sufficient.
I agree about funerals, a decent shirt and pants, perhaps a mismatched decent suit jacket, maybe a tie, maybe not, but I’ve seen some outlandish stuff at funerals in U.K., jeans, bomber jackets, even donkey jackets, I don’t know if you have those in U.S., dark, heavy wool working jackets, with a waterproof panel across the shoulders, but I always make a bit more effort at weddings, as much as I avoid them if it’s possible.
I can just imagine my wife, in an Adolfo Dominguez outfit, if I started to put on a pair of top of the range Wrangler jeans to go to the church!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I've spent over a $1000 on one. It is an investment for me. I need them occasionally for trials in court.
Perhaps you should stop breaking the law, or at least try harder not to get caught!

Old 04-04-2021, 07:46 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, what else?
Invest at least in 2 quality, tailored suits that feel good, fit you well and compliment your silhouette. Same with your shirts. Natural fabric, subtle stitching, hand finished elements like buttons, buttons holes, collar etc.
Looking dapper does not come cheap but it is definitely worth it.
I have to agree. It is an investment that will stand you in good stead for many years. When you look at the cost over time it is not unreasonable.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:25 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
For the last 100+ years, a tailored suit costs 1 ounce of gold.

That's still fairly accurate, today.
Wow- this is spot on. I'm not a guy but when I was working I had a couple of bespoke suits made and they were $1,500 each. That was in the late 2000s so adjusted for inflation- pretty much the current price of an ounce of gold.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:37 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
My husband is in his 50's and has never owned a suit. He's never needed one. He's worked in healthcare IT for decades and didn't need a suit for job interviews. Dress pants, button down shirt, and tie yes, but not a suit. Suits aren't necessary for many funerals and weddings either today.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:47 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

I "might" go to Hong Kong in December 2021 to have a custom suit made, there are fine tailors there. That should run me maybe $500 for fine materials. Savile Row in London, they start at $2K if not more. Nuh uh. I admire billionaires and celebrities who fly in for bespoke clothing, but unf that's not me and likely won't be. I "could" spend it, but seems wasteful. And Hong Kong might be an actual adventure too.
I don't know if this is still a thing, but when I was in college, my prep-school roommate introduced me to the world of visiting Hong Kong tailors. You get on their mailing list and they hop-scotch across the USA setting up suites in nice hotels. You make an appointment and get measured extensively, then sit in the adjoining suite and pick out all your fabrics and details.

Then they ship all that info back to HK and 6 or 8 weeks later your suits arrive. perfect.

I got three suits for like $300 each that fit me so well and lasted me until i outgrew them.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:38 PM

6,738 posts, read 6,727,597 times
$0

Same as I'll spend on knickers and other outdated sorts of attire.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:26 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I agree about funerals, a decent shirt and pants, perhaps a mismatched decent suit jacket, maybe a tie, maybe not, but I’ve seen some outlandish stuff at funerals in U.K., jeans, bomber jackets, even donkey jackets, I don’t know if you have those in U.S., dark, heavy wool working jackets, with a waterproof panel across the shoulders, but I always make a bit more effort at weddings, as much as I avoid them if it’s possible.
I can just imagine my wife, in an Adolfo Dominguez outfit, if I started to put on a pair of top of the range Wrangler jeans to go to the church!

Perhaps you should stop breaking the law, or at least try harder not to get caught!
Its nice to be on the other side of the bar Thanks for the chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty