Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 09:59 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

I think manufacturers are making shoes for overweight people now or I've lost weight in my heels. The length and width are fine on the rest of my feet. I've bought heel grip inserts, the type that stick in the back of your shoe and wrap around the heel area. Sometimes that is all I need to get a good fit but other times it's not enough and I can walk right out of my shoes. Is there any trick you guys have found that works?

To add to the problem, I went to a new chiropractor and with my list of complaints she suspected one leg was shorter than the other. By placing a 5mm (1/4") rubber lift in one shoe it really helped my balance. BUT... now that foot sits higher up in the shoe and easily slips out!

Other than just wearing boots or shoes with ankle straps, what could I do for a tighter fit around the heel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 10:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I think manufacturers are making shoes for overweight people now or I've lost weight in my heels. The length and width are fine on the rest of my feet. I've bought heel grip inserts, the type that stick in the back of your shoe and wrap around the heel area. Sometimes that is all I need to get a good fit but other times it's not enough and I can walk right out of my shoes. Is there any trick you guys have found that works?

To add to the problem, I went to a new chiropractor and with my list of complaints she suspected one leg was shorter than the other. By placing a 5mm (1/4") rubber lift in one shoe it really helped my balance. BUT... now that foot sits higher up in the shoe and easily slips out!

Other than just wearing boots or shoes with ankle straps, what could I do for a tighter fit around the heel?
Heels have always been too wide for me and I haven't bought shoes lately so I don't know if they're making shoes for overweight people now but I have one idea. While the sticky heel inserts help, what helped more was to find shoe brands that actually fit me. That narrows (pun?) the field but at least you don't waste time and effort on shoes that won't fit. It's mostly turned out to be expensive shoes and often they are made in Europe.

Sorry, but that's all I have to offer. It's horrible when the heels are so wide that your feet come out of your shoes every time you take a step.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:03 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Hey, look what I found. I will have to do some more investigating to see if my local sporting goods store has something similar. Might help you as well.

https://www.ithacasports.com/tuli-cl...-heel-cup.html

Old 04-08-2021, 04:14 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
I've always had trouble with narrow/feet heels slipping out of shoes, all my life. It's nothing new. Heels without ankle straps (unless I buy them at least half a size too small), clogs, flip-flops or other sandals without a back or ankle strap... all a no-go for me and always have been. Has nothing to do with how manufacturers are making shoes these days.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:28 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
There used to be a time when shoes came in Narrow, Medium and Wide widths. Now, I rarely see narrow widths anywhere and they usually start at size 7 1/2 which didn't help me much since I wore a 6 1/2 or 7. My wedding shoes (1984) were a 3 inch heel and AA (narrow) with a AAAA heel and they fit like a glove. Danced in them for hours without any foot pain.

I guess as people have gotten heavier, there isn't much call for narrow widths anymore. Like the OP said, if you put an insert in your shoe it sometimes makes the heel issue worse. I like shoes with ankle straps or flat ballet type shoes that are a good brand. The cheap shoes seem to be the worse as far as my heel coming out.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:35 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
There used to be a time when shoes came in Narrow, Medium and Wide widths. Now, I rarely see narrow widths anywhere and they usually start at size 7 1/2 which didn't help me much since I wore a 6 1/2 or 7. My wedding shoes (1984) were a 3 inch heel and AA (narrow) with a AAAA heel and they fit like a glove. Danced in them for hours without any foot pain.

I guess as people have gotten heavier, there isn't much call for narrow widths anymore. Like the OP said, if you put an insert in your shoe it sometimes makes the heel issue worse. I like shoes with ankle straps or flat ballet type shoes that are a good brand. The cheap shoes seem to be the worse as far as my heel coming out.
I think the main problem for people is that the narrow width won’t necessarily help if you don’t have a narrow toebox. My heel is narrow, but the rest of my foot is not. I think I’ve ended up with a large bunion on one foot due to this issue, because I ended up buying a size down so that my heels would stay in. I think the brands that have worked better for me tend to have more of an elastic heel.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:40 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
I've always had this problem, but haven't worn shoes for a year now - have stayed home and worn flip flops for the whole year. The few times I've got out amongst "people" I've worn socks and running shoes that tied on.

I dread having to try and find a proper pair of shoes this year that I can fly to visit relatives in. If any shoe shops are open still. Haven't even been down to look.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:19 PM

150 posts, read 143,139 times
Agree that the better fits are in the more expensive brands. I too have the narrow heel but have lost volume in my feet (it moved elsewhere, ahem!)

So it’s hard to find good fit in moderately youthful styles. I gravitate toward AGL, Vionic, Munro for flats and casual. Haven’t bought dressy in a long while but had to buy with straps last purchase.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2021, 05:20 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Yes. I have narrow heels and shoes slip off with ease. I hate it.

For flats I am partial to Teiks ballet flats. tieks.com Link isn't working just GOOGLE. They are worth every penny.

They have a bit of elastic around the edges that keep them on, making up for not having half sizes.

I like T straps and ankle straps too, for more dressy shoes. Flattering and they stay on.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:03 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I have medium width feet with narrow heels, and use heel inserts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty