Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 02:22 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

I've started biking recently. I wish I could wake at 4 AM to be at my destination by 6 AM or earlier to beat the sun, but that's not always the case. My skin burns & tans quite quickly, yet I get hot quickly.

What brand of clothing is made of fabrics that are cool, thin, & airy, YET protect from sunburn & getting darker? I'm already tan, I don't want to get even tanner. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 02:52 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I've started biking recently. I wish I could wake at 4 AM to be at my destination by 6 AM or earlier to beat the sun, but that's not always the case. My skin burns & tans quite quickly, yet I get hot quickly.

What brand of clothing is made of fabrics that are cool, thin, & airy, YET protect from sunburn & getting darker? I'm already tan, I don't want to get even tanner. TIA.
There are many athletic clothing brands to choose from. The obvious place to start would be cycling gear. The airier (ie loosely woven) and thinner the fabric, the less it will protect. A unicorn at some point. Tighter woven fabric that absorbs moisture fast but also dries or wicks fast is the way to go, so lighter weight performance fabrics make sense. If you're riding, you're creating a breeze, so sweat that wicks to the outer surface will evaporate more easily. The fit of the garment also plays into it. For warm weather when I know I'll get hot, I pick looser fitting garments than I might for winter. I'll pick a larger size than I might otherwise. If the garment has to stretch to fit, that's going to pull the weave apart more. Cyclist clothing tends to fit snug to save weight and reduce wind resistance, but based on your threads about your intended biking style, that won't be very important.

Here's a fact based guide to selecting protective clothing:

https://www.skincancer.org/skin-canc...tive-clothing/

A 2 second search for warm weather performance clothing brought up just one:

https://www.columbia.com/c/technolog...f30e828cd17a25

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-20-2021 at 03:05 PM..

Old 04-21-2021, 08:02 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Well, look at what people who work outside all day in the sun wear. Loose fitting long sleeved light colored cotton shirts and long pants. Wear that. Put a couple rubber bands around your right pants leg to keep it clear of the chain.

I recently saw a rider wearing something that looks like the brim of a broad-brimmed hat but attached to a helmet. I'd inquire at your local bike shop.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, look at what people who work outside all day in the sun wear. Loose fitting long sleeved light colored cotton shirts and long pants. Wear that. Put a couple rubber bands around your right pants leg to keep it clear of the chain.

I recently saw a rider wearing something that looks like the brim of a broad-brimmed hat but attached to a helmet. I'd inquire at your local bike shop.

OK, but I'm looking for a little more help than the obvious of just light-colored clothing & hats. There must be retailers who sell actual special fabric clothing is what I'm thinking & many heads are better than 1 on discussion boards, so someone must know out there just as how others ask all kinds of various questions on disccussion boards. Sure enough, when I started a thread on another board I belong to, people actually gave me names/sites of specific retailers who sell just that...a couple I've never heard of. Plus, when looking around on one of the suggested sites, I even found a specific product I never knew existed!

Old 04-21-2021, 08:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
OK, if you need specific recommendations for something to buy, go to Kohl's and buy their store brand oxford cloth long sleeved white shirts. I'm sure Wal-mart and Target have store brand white shirts too. For pants either wear bicycle shorts and tall socks with sunscreen on the bit in between; or, go to one of the stores above and buy their store brand canvas pants.

My point is that there is no need to go buy special clothing to keep the sun off when you're cycling. Wear something you already have. The only exception would be that hats don't coexist well with helmets and that's why I suggested you contact your local bike shop about the "hatmet" I saw. No, I did not flag down the rider and ask her where she got it and what its brand name is. Sorry.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:41 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
OK, but I'm looking for a little more help than the obvious of just light-colored clothing & hats. There must be retailers who sell actual special fabric clothing is what I'm thinking & many heads are better than 1 on discussion boards, so someone must know out there just as how others ask all kinds of various questions on disccussion boards. Sure enough, when I started a thread on another board I belong to, people actually gave me names/sites of specific retailers who sell just that...a couple I've never heard of. Plus, when looking around on one of the suggested sites, I even found a specific product I never knew existed!

You know...there are bathing suits that are out there now, that are long sleeved, form fitting, and the fabric wisks moisture away, but block the UV rays. Maybe look into that?

Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 AM

251 posts, read 246,363 times
Coolibar.com

Dabrim.com

Old 04-21-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OK, if you need specific recommendations for something to buy, go to Kohl's and buy their store brand oxford cloth long sleeved white shirts. I'm sure Wal-mart and Target have store brand white shirts too. For pants either wear bicycle shorts and tall socks with sunscreen on the bit in between; or, go to one of the stores above and buy their store brand canvas pants.

My point is that there is no need to go buy special clothing to keep the sun off when you're cycling. Wear something you already have. The only exception would be that hats don't coexist well with helmets and that's why I suggested you contact your local bike shop about the "hatmet" I saw. No, I did not flag down the rider and ask her where she got it and what its brand name is. Sorry.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You know...there are bathing suits that are out there now, that are long sleeved, form fitting, and the fabric wisks moisture away, but block the UV rays. Maybe look into that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelKate View Post
Coolibar.com

Dabrim.com

Thanks a lot. Ya learn something new everyday! Never heard of Dabrim, but I like what I'm seeing there! Now I've worn a cap underneath my helmet before, but I prefer attaching it OVER it.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:36 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
I thought sunscreen helps prevent sunburn.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:26 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Thanks!

Thanks a lot. Ya learn something new everyday! Never heard of Dabrim, but I like what I'm seeing there! Now I've worn a cap underneath my helmet before, but I prefer attaching it OVER it.
Uniqlo has lightweight UV protection clothing, including a very light weight hoodie and long-sleeve tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty