Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 04:59 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

Such a nice change.

Normally, the spotlight is always on the women, fussing about clothes even for the the most powerful women on the planet. But suddenly, journalists were looking at both!

Some notes on 100 days of Biden style
“Where a lot of men typically go too big, Biden is a good example of exactly how a suit should be worn.”
“His trousers have the perfect proportion and the right amount of break in the pants,” he added, referring to that point where a trouser hem meets the top of one’s shoes. You have only to observe the style missteps at the Academy Awards to know that even the assistance of the world’s top designers and stylists is no guarantee that guys as advantaged as Brad Pitt or Denzel Washington get this part right.
“He cuts such a chic silhouette,” said Michael Sebastian, editor of Esquire. “And that does several things. It gives him the appearance of being way more youthful than he is. And it communicates something important about his governing style.” That is, Sebastian said, Biden looks as if he has come prepared to do business.
https://grandfatherclocksblog.com/so...f-biden-style/

Kamala Harris and Jill Biden’s First 100 Days of Style
100 days into Biden administration, the most conscious part of their image-making has been how very consciously they seem to be downplaying the whole thing. Emails to both the vice president’s and the first lady’s offices asking whether there was a policy in place to support the American fashion industry, or whether on major state occasions they would offer information on dress choice, were simply met with “no more to add.” In March, Michael LaRosa, Dr. Biden’s press secretary, told WWD that “we will not be commenting on her clothes.” When contacted, many (though not all) designers declined to be quoted on either the first lady or the vice president.
To a certain extent, you can understand the reluctance. Historically, a focus on fashion has been used as a weapon to dismiss or demean women in positions of power. But as both Nancy Pelosi with her Mace of the Republic pin and orange coat and Hillary Clinton with her white suffragist suit have shown, it can be turned into an advantage: a way of underscoring just who they are, what they have achieved and where their values lie. Of drawing attention to what they do. It’s part of the package.
https://grandfatherclocksblog.com/ka...days-of-style/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 07:10 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,999 times
Bottom line, I don't think the news should comment on what they wear. But I prefer not to see powerful women wearing pants. I never liked Hillary in them and I don't like Kamala in them. I'm old school and feel that a smart skirted suit or a dress with a jacket would look much more classic and chic. If a woman worked hard to get to the very pinnacle of success, then why not dress the part? It's not an issue of downplaying anything. It's about looking professional. I see Kamala in pants and to me she just looks like any old person on the street. I would think that a VP should do better than that.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:19 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Bottom line, I don't think the news should comment on what they wear. But I prefer not to see powerful women wearing pants. I never liked Hillary in them and I don't like Kamala in them. I'm old school and feel that a smart skirted suit or a dress with a jacket would look much more classic and chic. If a woman worked hard to get to the very pinnacle of success, then why not dress the part? It's not an issue of downplaying anything. It's about looking professional. I see Kamala in pants and to me she just looks like any old person on the street. I would think that a VP should do better than that.
What about skirts is more professional than pants? The idea that women belong in skirts is a a very outdated opinion, and absolutely reeks of downplaying their role compared to their male counterparts. Sorry.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:36 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
After Reagan took office, much was made of his brown suits. When Carter spoke to the country wearing a sweater, people became practically unhinged about him not being “presidential.” Much, much was made about Kennedy not wearing a hat while giving his inaugural address.

We all know that Trump’s sartorial style has been analyzed thoroughly. So, having a look at how a president dresses is something that is done, especially early on.

Jill Biden is not responding to questions about her clothes. I think she does not want to be bothered about this. She is as ambitious in her way, as her husband.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,414,821 times
I liked hearing that when someone asked Angela Merkel (chancellor of Germany for 18 years, if anyone needs a reminder) about her deliberately un-glamorous clothing choice, she replied, "I'm a government employee, not a model".

Old 05-07-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I liked hearing that when someone asked Angela Merkel (chancellor of Germany for 18 years, if anyone needs a reminder) about her deliberately un-glamorous clothing choice, she replied, "I'm a government employee, not a model".
Un-glamorous and apparently unprofessional, as she often wears pants. (GASP!)

Old 05-09-2021, 12:52 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,999 times
The thread is about Kamala Harris and Jill Biden’s First 100 Days of Style. It's about fashion image, not a statement about their roles compared to their male counterparts. My comments about pants isn't outdated and it's not meant to criticize their ability to competently do their jobs. It's a given that they are competent and it doesn't really matter what they wear, when you come down to it. However, if you're talking fashion and image here, and that IS what this thread is supposed to be focused on, I stand by what I said that pants are not fashionable for women in top professional positions. Pants are a lazy way to dress. Pants are what you put on when you haven't shaved your legs, when you don't want to put on panty hose, when you haven't kept up your body. Pants say, "I'm too lazy to get dressed better for this job".

This is just from a style and image aspect, mind you. It's not a commentary on how they do the job. So stop fretting that I'm suggesting they aren't up to their male counterparts when they wear pants. That's not what I said.

Old 05-09-2021, 01:13 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Un-glamorous and apparently unprofessional, as she often wears pants. (GASP!)
OT - and shows up to work.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
The thread is about Kamala Harris and Jill Biden’s First 100 Days of Style. It's about fashion image, not a statement about their roles compared to their male counterparts. My comments about pants isn't outdated and it's not meant to criticize their ability to competently do their jobs. It's a given that they are competent and it doesn't really matter what they wear, when you come down to it. However, if you're talking fashion and image here, and that IS what this thread is supposed to be focused on, I stand by what I said that pants are not fashionable for women in top professional positions. Pants are a lazy way to dress. Pants are what you put on when you haven't shaved your legs, when you don't want to put on panty hose, when you haven't kept up your body. Pants say, "I'm too lazy to get dressed better for this job".

This is just from a style and image aspect, mind you. It's not a commentary on how they do the job. So stop fretting that I'm suggesting they aren't up to their male counterparts when they wear pants. That's not what I said.
I don’t share your idea that wearing pants is “not fashionable for women in top professional positions.” The fact that women do wear pants while holding top professional positions makes them, by definition, fashionable. In other words, they are on trend. When women can determine for themselves what they feel is suitable for work, I think you will find they tend not to do “ladylike” fashion. When men, such as the top brass at a place like FOX News determines how they must dress, more “ladylike” fashions are forced upon them.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Pants are a lazy way to dress. Pants are what you put on when you haven't shaved your legs, when you don't want to put on panty hose, when you haven't kept up your body. Pants say, "I'm too lazy to get dressed better for this job".
Why is it lazy for women but not for men? That makes absolutely no sense. What does leg shaving have to do with professionalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty