Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 07:07 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
If you want to wear a dress, just do it. But don't bring all of us into this.
So much this. I'll still shop in the Men's department. Sorry, not sorry.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:42 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I don't think the OP is suggesting that men wear women's clothing or vice versa. I think she's suggesting that there not be a women's department or men's department. That clothing not have features that would identify it as masculine or feminine.

To use a color metaphor ... not pink or blue, but green.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:57 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't think the OP is suggesting that men wear women's clothing or vice versa. I think she's suggesting that there not be a women's department or men's department. That clothing not have features that would identify it as masculine or feminine.

To use a color metaphor ... not pink or blue, but green.
We'll have to wait for OP to clarify, but I think it's more along the lines that there should BE no such thing as men's or women's clothing. That all clothing, including things we typically think of as feminine, should be acceptable for all genders. Not so much that clothing becomes gender neutral, so to speak. That was my take on it anyway.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:58 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
How about we all work on accepting other people's choices, on how they choose to dress?

Shania, maybe you could design a line of clothing that would be gender neutral, for those who want to present a neutral profile. And maybe accept that in this big wonderful world, we all should be able to pick how we present ourselves to the world?

Old 05-14-2021, 08:00 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
My female body is very different from my husband's male body and I'm very glad that they are different. I like wearing clothing that flatters a female body. I don't think there are many men whose bodies would fit into clothing that fits and flatters mine. Are you suggesting that all clothing should be loose and boxy so that anyone's body could fit into it? I guess I'm not fully understanding your question.
Me either - since men & women have completely different bodies for the most part, unless we are all going to wear shapeless pants & tops I don't see how that would work. Besides if YOU want non-gender clothing buy it or make it - the rest of us might prefer to dress for our gender.

I don't really know what this world is coming to anymore when men & women have to act and dress the same. I guess the OP would be happier if we were all androgynous.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:06 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Me either - since men & women have completely different bodies for the most part, unless we are all going to wear shapeless pants & tops I don't see how that would work. Besides if YOU want non-gender clothing buy it or make it - the rest of us might prefer to dress for our gender.

I don't really know what this world is coming to anymore when men & women have to act and dress the same. I guess the OP would be happier if we were all androgynous.
And if that's the case, Shania should go for it. For herself.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:08 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Since society decided they should dictate what's acceptable? Don't tell me you aren't old enough to realize that women had to fight to be accepted wearing pants?

It's a shame we can't have a real conversation about it here, instead people are already coming in with pointless and/or political commentary.
I am old enough to remember that, however, I think the poster is talking about now.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:08 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
We'll have to wait for OP to clarify, but I think it's more along the lines that there should BE no such thing as men's or women's clothing. That all clothing, including things we typically think of as feminine, should be acceptable for all genders. Not so much that clothing becomes gender neutral, so to speak. That was my take on it anyway.
Yeah, I guess the post could be construed either way.

I think it would be impossible for all clothing to be gender neutral, if that's what she meant. It's tough to overcome centuries of clothing perceptions of what is feminine and what is masculine. I think people will always perceive something lightweight and chiffony or lacy to be feminine in nature, for example.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:17 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Since society decided they should dictate what's acceptable? Don't tell me you aren't old enough to realize that women had to fight to be accepted wearing pants?

It's a shame we can't have a real conversation about it here, instead people are already coming in with pointless and/or political commentary.
I think that's basically it. Nobody bats an eye nowadays that women often wear men's clothing (pants). Effectively today pants have become gender neutral, but really that was pretty recently. Even up into the '90s in particularly crusty segments of society that was pretty radical for a women to wear men's clothing. E.g., if you worked banking or some conservative field in the '70s or '80s as a woman and wore pants to work that was definitely out there where if you wore them on the weekend in the park it was more accepted. It took quite a while. Women wanting to wear men's clothing started in the 1920s or '30s and it really wasn't until three generations later that it was fully socially acceptable. Nowadays in the workplace most women are crossdressers, or they would be except pants are now gender neutral.

Really, nothing terrible happened when women all started crossdressing. The world went on about its own business and everyone got used to the idea that women could wear pants. Seems sort of stupid nowadays that it was ever an issue at all.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-14-2021 at 08:25 AM..

Old 05-14-2021, 08:36 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yeah, I guess the post could be construed either way.

I think it would be impossible for all clothing to be gender neutral, if that's what she meant. It's tough to overcome centuries of clothing perceptions of what is feminine and what is masculine. I think people will always perceive something lightweight and chiffony or lacy to be feminine in nature, for example.
OTOH I think that is actually somewhat 'recent' in the fashion timeline. It wasn't terribly long ago that men were peacocks as much as women were, lace, ruffles, fancy embroidery and bright patterns, wigs, high heels. Heck even in the eighties there were glam bands and other celebs and musicians that took on lace and ruffles and as much if not more makeup than a lot of ladies wore!
I think there is enough of a pushback from younger generations that I could conceivably see the lines between what's feminine and masculine becoming much, much more blurred than they are now, with the idea of separate men's and women's 'styles' being considered outdated in the not too distant future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty