Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:08 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times

Advertisements

My husband always tells me I don't need make-up but I feel better wearing it,so I do.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:21 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
And this doesn't sadden you? If my wife had any reason to believe that I found her more beautiful in an "unnatural form" than in her "natural form", she'd be quite offended.

My best guess is that if you have an 81-year-old husband, you've been around for quite a while yourself. I've found, from having played music at dozens of nursing homes, that older people generally have a good grip on what is real, true, and worthwhile in life. That's why I like playing for them. The same really can't be said for younger people... I see that all the time. (For example, I re-worded the song "Too Fat Polka" so that it became "Too Thin Polka"... basically, it's the same premise as the original song, except my lyrics talk about the generalized negative side of being skinny rather than the unattractiveness of being fat. Nursing home audiences go crazy when I play that song... whooping, hollering, laughing, you name it... they love it from start to finish! If I played the same song for a crowd of 20-somethings, some would laugh but many would boo and throw rotten fruit at me.) It surprises me, therefore, that you would sound so cavalier about your husband believing you to be more beautiful with makeup than without.

When I was young and stupid, I was at a church service one time... and this man in his early 70s stood up and talked about aspects of his marriage. They included, but were not limited to, the fact that he thinks his wife is more beautiful now than she was when they got married. They'd been married for over 50 years, and in my not-so-refined thought processes, I figured that they MUST have looked better in their 20s than they do now in their 70s... but who am I to judge what looks better to someone else and what doesn't? He sounded very sure of himself.... and though there was a lot of legacy in their marriage which must've helped to cement the relationship, he wasn't talking about the legacy. He was talking about her physical appearance, even at age 72 or whatever she was.

My point is this... age doesn't have to preclude beauty. Wouldn't you prefer your husband to tell you that you're most beautiful naturally? I tell my wife that I plan to live to be 100... and since I have long hair now, it'd serve me right that eventually I will go bald. If that happens, do I want my wife to tell me to wear a hat all the time because I look better with a hat than I do as an obviously bald man? Not in the least!

How does this get reconciled with him thinking that you're more beautiful with makeup... which is something you were not born with? If we want to talk about God, something I say all the time is this... God doesn't make mistakes... and He created everyone to be beautiful in his/her own way. For the person to alter his/her appearance in any unnatural way (such as with makeup) is to assert that God made a mistake and that the person knows more than God does about what's beautiful and what's not beautiful. I don't think I have to explain that one... its preposterous nature speaks for itself.

You're absolutely right, but the term "their best" is where the subjectivity comes in. If every woman would think "I look my best when I am natural", nobody would ever buy makeup.

I agree completely. However, "thinking their best" means that they don't forget about God during their thought processes. To God, a person thinking "I am not as beautiful naturally as I am when I do something unnatural to my appearance" is as ridiculous as a person thinking "The Earth is flat".

Hopefully he read it in its entirety and tried to digest every word before dismissing me as a lunatic.

My lips, and my wife's lips, are pink/red naturally. The same can be said about the lips of most humans, I imagine. As for sweet smell of clothing, I think that my wife's clothing smells perfectly sweet when it's her natural aroma. These two descriptions don't imply that makeup and perfume were used.
Does your wife wear deoderant? That may not be her "natural aroma" you're smelling.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
My opinion is that yes when women are young it's 'fun' to put on makeup,but what is the underlying reason to do so?
It sounds like it would be a 'masquerade' of some sort,similar to halloween.
Perhaps it implies that they can' hide' behind it and be one person with it and another without it.
When in the dating stage it can be utilized to attract members of the opposite sex sure,after that it may be used to hide blemishes or otherwise natural unattractiveness which would be better addressed naturally so there wouldn't be a need for makeup all the time.
Nothing is more deceiving than waking up with a new acquaintance only to find how much they are indeed hiding with the makeup
I think a subtle amount of makeup is acceptable,and once in awhile on a special outing. But caked on-baked on could derive the opposite effect

Old 05-15-2008, 01:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Oh, for crying out loud!!!! My uncle, who was a Pentacostal minister, by the way, put it this way, "If the barn needs painting, paint it." Referring to cosmetics.
Now hand me my eyeliner, and stop pushing your agenda. And do something about that hair! It aint pretty........

Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
That was sort of my point. I don't believe in plastic surgery, an elective surgery as a need to boost your self esteem or for vanity purposes. To remove scars and for medical reasons, that can be fine. But Dr Laura needs to do something with her wrinkly mug!

Putting some lipstick and eyeliner on works pretty good for some women. Some women don't really need lipstick, especially that dark red stuff. Some women don't need any.

Young women who let their hair turn gray doesn't look too appealing to me. I think women who dye their hair from time to time isn't EVIL.

I think young girls who wear a bunch of makeup and dress provocatively isn't a good idea, but I doubt they care what my morals are or what I think. If they were related to me, I might discuss this with their parents and I might not. Reality is in the moment.

My mom wears makeup, my wife wears makeup, and I'm fine with it.

Here's my main point; if done tastefully, IT'S NOT EVIL!

I also think women should shave the pitts, but that's just me. I don't want my woman stinkin' worse than me. There again, that's just me.

I could care less what's fashionable in France and Saudi Arabia.

This is, afterall, the Fashion and Beauty thread, not the Religion and Philosophy thread!

Last edited by McGowdog; 05-15-2008 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-15-2008, 01:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

This is, afterall, the Fashion and Beauty thread, not the Religion and Philosophy thread!
There it is, in a nutshell! Very succintly put, I might add.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:35 PM

157 posts, read 624,187 times
To the OP False: Makeup is not evil. That would be like saying that shampoo is evil or that car is evil. It doesn't make any sense to state that a thing or inanimate object is evil. If ladies use or don't use makeup then that's their choice and everyone has their own opinion and reasons for using it. You and your wife have arrived at your own philosopy about it and if that's what makes you both happy in your own little world than so be it but your philosophy shouldn't be pushed on others. This is the kind of thinking that causes so many problems in relationships, families, churches, etc. humans like to come to their own conclusions of the way things should be or the way people should dress or eat and then try to push others into their little bubble.

If you want to discuss it in the sense that women who use makeup are evil then maybe you should take it up in the religion forum because maybe that's what you're really trying to say here.

On a final note, I have yet to see any fatalities caused by using makeup as you stated in an earlier post but there are many fatalities that result from being overweight in this country. Good health should be the motivation behind staying thin not societal pressure.

We should pick and choose our battles more wisely.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Thanks McGowdog, wonderful post. I mean really, are there not more important things in this world to worry about and improve upon

Old 05-15-2008, 03:32 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
So I suppose I'm some kind of Satanic freak because I pluck my eyebrows and shave my body, right?

The cavewoman thing just isn't me, sorry I like to express myself with clean, smooth skin on my body, and I like to make my face nice and fresh looking.

Did you know that people are born with the genetic programming to seek out "healthy looking" individuals? Some people are able to override that, and more power to them. However, some of us will stick to the instinctual basics... on the level of beauty, that is.

By the by, Hollywood didn't create cosmetics. Nor did Sephora or any other "name brand". Just look back at the women of centuries past. Men and women both at times, and it wasn't always just to be beautiful... cosmetics have had a practical purpose as well. Such as the Egyptians - that black kohl helped reflect sunlight out of their eyes. Some creams were put onto the skin to protect it from damage due to exposure. The list goes on.

If you want to get in to how "God made us all beautiful," go to the religion and philosophy thread. Furthermore, a reference to disprove that argument... "I am not an animal! I am a human being!" Eh? Yeah.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:36 PM

681 posts, read 2,878,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbee View Post
To the OP False: Makeup is not evil. That would be like saying that shampoo is evil or that car is evil. It doesn't make any sense to state that a thing or inanimate object is evil.
Apparently, you did not even bother reading my post. I stated in the very first sentence that my choice of title was merely for it to be "catchy". To that end, it's certainly worked. I'm not so stupid as to think that makeup, in and of itself, is evil.

Quote:
If ladies use or don't use makeup then that's their choice and everyone has their own opinion and reasons for using it.
I already said this. The reasons fall into two categories, from what I've been able to determine.

Quote:
You and your wife have arrived at your own philosopy about it and if that's what makes you both happy in your own little world than so be it but your philosophy shouldn't be pushed on others.
I don't go around tubthumping about cessation of makeup usage to other people. If I know them well enough to have a feel for their makeup usage habits, I will know them well enough to be able to attack the root problems underlying the makeup usage... that's the only way that women will realize how beautiful they are anyway. Merely forcing a woman to stop wearing makeup, without doing anything else, will only cheese her off.

Quote:
This is the kind of thinking that causes so many problems in relationships, families, churches, etc. humans like to come to their own conclusions of the way things should be or the way people should dress or eat and then try to push others into their little bubble.
Ah, misinterpretations....

Quote:
If you want to discuss it in the sense that women who use makeup are evil then maybe you should take it up in the religion forum because maybe that's what you're really trying to say here.
This statement isn't just "out in left field". It ain't even in the same city as the freakin' BALLPARK.

Quote:
On a final note, I have yet to see any fatalities caused by using makeup as you stated in an earlier post but there are many fatalities that result from being overweight in this country. Good health should be the motivation behind staying thin not societal pressure.

We should pick and choose our battles more wisely.
Are you sure that deaths are caused by being overweight? Or could it be that the deaths are caused by poor lifestyle choices which tend to cause increases in body weight? I, for one, have always been overweight... borderline obese by some charts... and the doctor recently told me I'm about as healthy as I could hope to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty