Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 12:06 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterTrees View Post
It is a preppy look that has been around for years. It;s populariet has been up and down throughout the years with different twists on the style. Right now it look like looser fits are favored. I am not sure what s dark about it? It looks like pretty traditional fall and winter preppy colors and textures.
There is also Light Academe. Here's a link. - https://www.etsy.com/market/light_academia_clothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 12:12 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It is not as if there is a Dark Academia department in Nordstroms or Dillards! This is a style you can adopt using some of your vintage or classic pieces, or other things you can find in stores.

For some, doing this could be fun.

Me? I’m too old. I’d have no place to wear the stuff. But I do think the style is fun.
I don't believe anyone is too old for this classic style! It IS fun! I agree that it is adaptable using some older and vintage pieces and updated ones.

Those of us over 50 would do well to avoid the Harry Potter line.

Otherwise, count me in.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:12 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
So basically, Hermione Granger graduates from Hogwarts and attends FIT.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:58 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Rachel & Jun?

I watch for the cats, got suckered into watching an entire video on clothing, but that Rachel is a looker. And Jun is rocking the slim little beard he's got.

I watched a few of their videos and Rachel is just adorable. I'll be going back to watch more of their adventures. I had never heard of them before so thanks!

Old 07-21-2021, 07:33 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
I like the style for the most part. It's very classic. Unfortunately, it isn't suitable for warm climates, making it a needless expense for clothing that could only be worn a month or two, if that.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:58 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Glad you posted this! Plus 1. Just read about it. Its kind of like Preppy meets Goth. I like it for the most part. At it's best, it looks like a put-together, Grad School student, teacher, or professor's wardrobe. Or librarian, as you said. At it's worst, it's middle school girls wearing V neck sweaters emblazoned with the various Harry Potter schools.

This style of dressing, done correctly, is timeless, and very suitable for those of us who live in colder climes.

ModCloth is usually on trend with micro styles such as Cottage Core. They don't have their Fall line out yet. They do have oxford and style shoes.
Uniglo is another good source, as are traditional preppy places - J.Crew, Vinyard Vines, even Talbots. Possibly Ann Taylor and AT Loft.

I also found this - 8 Places to Shop for Dark Academia - dressrelief
A few of the items in your link have never gone out of style in certain circles. Those cable-knit sweaters and sweater-vests are in Talbots catalogs annually. I still have one in the same shade of pink as they show, that's from sometime back in the mid-90's.

But do students and/or faculty really dress that way? Most university faculty and students wear jeans to class in the western states. But wool for colder climates is pretty much a requirement, so there's that. But most of those clothes would make students look like they're wearing their job-interview clothes to class. They'd look out of place.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-21-2021 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-21-2021, 08:11 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I think the "dark" part has to do with the core philosophy of the aesthetic and its Gothic tendencies:

Other than the appreciation of learning, Dark Academia thought includes themes of criminality, danger, and mystery. Secret societies, cults, and murder are subjects within the aesthetic. Characters within the works of fiction associated with Dark Academia, especially The Secret History and Kill Your Darlings, live decadent and self-destructive lifestyles involving drugs, moments of intense violence, and secrets.
--https://aesthetics.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Academia

Interestingly, there is also a Light Academia aesthetic which is the polar opposite of what Dark Academia aspires to. The following explains it beautifully:

https://thetab.com/uk/2021/05/14/exp...cademia-205446

I agree that this is a regurgitation of the style made popular by Diane Keaton's Annie Hall which incorporates both the light and dark aspects of the Academia aesthetic.

UP NEXT: I wouldn't be surprised if is a resurgence of the 1970s Britpunk aesthetic after the latest Cruella movie. The costume designs were on steroids! So much fun!
It still doesn’t make much sense to me. I was thinking like goth, Victorian, or a less sexualized (for women) steampunk look. It doesn’t seem like any of those to me.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:10 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
The name "Dark Academia" is attention getting. I think that's a large part of why it's being called by that name.

Fashion should be fun and I think this style is not only fun but also classic in that you can make purchases that you can wear for many years to come and mix with other styles. I'm all for it and if it needs a catchy name to get "the youngsters" interested, no harm done. I would much rather see this type of clothing than the "barely there" look that has been popular for far too long.

Yes, I'm old - 65 - and I've seen plenty of different styles come and go.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:20 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
The name "Dark Academia" is attention getting. I think that's a large part of why it's being called by that name.

Fashion should be fun and I think this style is not only fun but also classic in that you can make purchases that you can wear for many years to come and mix with other styles. I'm all for it and if it needs a catchy name to get "the youngsters" interested, no harm done. I would much rather see this type of clothing than the "barely there" look that has been popular for far too long.

Yes, I'm old - 65 - and I've seen plenty of different styles come and go.
Yeah, there's certainly nothing new about this "academia in the popular culture" look. It's basically just the Annie Hall look slightly updated for the 2020s.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:34 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Rachel & Jun?

I watch for the cats, got suckered into watching an entire video on clothing, but that Rachel is a looker. And Jun is rocking the slim little beard he's got.
I did this. The cats! And then Rachel went looking for clothes in a Japanese thrift store so she could dress in the dark academia style. I bailed on the video, and did a search on dark academia.

This was all news to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty