Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 04:29 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

What do you think of that concept?

I was watching home shopping channels and saw presentations for reversible pants. I can see that the idea of having "two pairs of pants in one" is nice in theory. But something just didn't seem right/sanitary about it. But not really sanitary. Just skeevey.

Not that anyone wears their pants so many times that they stink or anything. And there's always the washing machine, of course.

I guess it's just the idea that fabric that I've worn next to my body in the crotch and underarm areas -- I would turn inside out and wear facing outside.

And for the pants anyway.....if they weren't not the right length...hemming them would cost twice as much and be twice as hard. You couldn't just cut them shorter and turn the new hem under. You'd have to cut the pants open at the hem and re-stitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 05:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I’m with you on reversible pants. No thanks.

But somewhere I’ve encountered reversible jackets that worked pretty well. Can’t remember the details. Possibly the jackets were made of material that had two “right” sides?

Old 08-24-2021, 08:56 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
The most practical reversible wear clothing is found in light weight reversible outer ware. I used to have some when I was young kid that enabled you to switch color scheme. Basically a windbreaker type poly material with overlapped zipped pockets. The hood, if it had one, was the type that rolled up and inverted into the collar. I think those have some use when traveling.

Reversible clothing doesn't appeal to me as it infers thickness to hide seams / hems for aesthetic reasons which would make it sort of 'clunky' in feel. Reminds me of when there was big push for those soft waistband underwear. I recall trying them and the extra layer of thickness to hide the elastic band made them more uncomfortable.

Topic reminds me of the canard my dad would occasionally use, much to my mom's consternation, "when your underwear are dirty, turn them inside out."

Old 08-25-2021, 03:17 AM

^ Eew? Eww? (is that how you spell that)

Old 08-25-2021, 02:24 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I have a few reversible tops/jackets I like from Marketplace: Handwork of India. The majority of their fabrics are lightweight cotton, so the weight of their reversible cotton jackets drapes nicely IMHO. The block print/Ikat type patterns often have a simpler variation on the reverse side in the same color scheme. Nice to change them up but I usually find I wear one side out a lot more often than the other.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I have a couple of thin quilted reversible jackets. I see reversible skirts sometimes. I wouldn't want reversible pants. Not because of the ick factor, just because I'm usually warm enough with one layer of fabric.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:22 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
What do you think of that concept?

I was watching home shopping channels and saw presentations for reversible pants. I can see that the idea of having "two pairs of pants in one" is nice in theory. But something just didn't seem right/sanitary about it. But not really sanitary. Just skeevey.

Not that anyone wears their pants so many times that they stink or anything. And there's always the washing machine, of course.

I guess it's just the idea that fabric that I've worn next to my body in the crotch and underarm areas -- I would turn inside out and wear facing outside.

And for the pants anyway.....if they weren't not the right length...hemming them would cost twice as much and be twice as hard. You couldn't just cut them shorter and turn the new hem under. You'd have to cut the pants open at the hem and re-stitch.
Not sure how reversible pants would work for women who tend to have non-flat butts! My guess is that the fit is quite loose and not flattering!

Anyway, there used to be quite a few inside/out tops for women - not so they could dirty up one side and then flip them inside out the next day though! It was so they'd have two different colors for mixing and matching with more outfits. Had nothing to do with doing less laundry but with getting "two" blouses in one.

In fact, when women wore light weight "shells" with jackets, they would have different colors inside and out and a symmetrical neckline so there were different front and back colors - so FOUR colors in one garment - now THAT'S practical!

Old 08-25-2021, 06:40 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Not sure how reversible pants would work for women who tend to have non-flat butts! My guess is that the fit is quite loose and not flattering!
Why would it be? You turn the pants inside out and the fabric just goes from convex to concave. Same amount of fabric, same amount of curvature, same side of the garment (meaning the back still remains the back).

Old 08-25-2021, 06:48 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

You wouldn't have to wear the same pants or shirt reversed the next day without washing them, or do you still find that unsanitary?

Old 08-25-2021, 08:45 PM

As long as they're washed, I guess all would be well.

Keeping it real, let's say a person wears pants twice before washing.
Reversible pants, I'd say should be worn after every time they're worn.

I'd never reverse the pants to the other side and wear the part that was next to my crotch on the outside without washing them first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty