Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,261 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone here thinks girls/women are weird if they never wear sandals (but rather shoes covering the whole foot) both in public and in formal occasions, and if guys/men must never wear sandals or definitely not at much as girls/women. Also, I wonder if any woman/girl wears sandals just to fit in or out of fear that she might be seen weird by anyone for not doing so if she doesn’t want to wear it. Also wondering if anyone here thinks it would be weird for a girl/woman to wear dressy shoes that cover the whole foot as well as female dressy socks with it. If guys and girls are this polarized when it comes to sandals, I am wondering if people tend to shame girls/women for not wearing sandals or if guys pressure their girlfriend into doing so if she doesn’t already do so or if any guys out their dump their girlfriend for not doing so.

Don’t just say whether you wear sandals or not, but also the real reason why, & say whether you think it is weird for a girl to never wear sandals besides home or beach (not making formal occasion an exception), and whether or not you know any girl/woman who never wears sandals, and if you know any guys who wear sandals as frequently as an average woman or more frequently than that.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:05 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
No one has an obligation to wear a certain type of clothing or shoes no matter their sex. Sandals are made for both sexes.

Frankly I can't imagine noticing that a female did or did not wear sandals or that a male did or did not. The only time I could imagine someone noticing such a thing is middle school when kids are all about appearances.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,261 times
Some people out there say that guys must never wear flip flops, and others say that guys must never wear sandals at all. Some women said online like on Facebook or on Girls Ask Guys that they don’t let their husband to wear sandals! Ugh!!! This crap makes me puke, like how the heck does this philosophy actually have its place on Earth!?!

Last edited by fr44c3iqqs; 09-28-2021 at 07:35 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 12:10 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
Why are people so concerned about what other people think of their clothing choices, or so judgmental about others' clothing choices, especially something so inconsequential as footwear?

Honestly, I don't go around checking out people's shoes.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:33 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr44c3iqqs View Post
Some people out there say that guys must never wear flip flops, and others say that guys must never wear sandals at all. Some women said online like on Facebook or on Girls Ask Guys that they don’t let their husband to wear sandals! Ugh!!! This crap makes me puke, like how the heck does this philosophy actually have its place on Earth!?!
Do you have the names of these "some people"?

Do what you want to do... I never pay attention to what other people wear or what they think of what I am wearing.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:20 AM

6,696 posts, read 5,926,302 times
In east Asia, at least in Taiwan and Japan and parts of China, flip-flops are basically the national shoe, at least in warmer weather. Businesses of course have always been totally by-the-book, men polished leather shoes, women formal style straps and heels.

Seems to me that modern day America is generally very relaxed about footware, except for business casual or business formal settings (banks, government offices, etc.). For leisure, anything goes these days. Maybe some clubs would frown on flip-flops though.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:38 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
I was in a doctor's office this week, and a family was there. The man was wearing flip flops. The mother was wearing regular sandals.

Men in California and Florida, and probably other areas with warm climates, wear sandals. Not all men, but quite a few. Same with women. If a woman prefers to wear shoes vs. sandals, she may not like a casual look. Or she may be self-conscious about her feet. Or she may need more support for her feet than sandals can provide (which in most cases is--none). It's not "weird" to not wear sandals.

For those (men and women) who feel that sandals are too casual for men, or may be unattractive on men with hair on their feet, or something, there are the euro-style sandals that have more structure, and offer far more coverage than flip-flops do. They look a bit more formal. Men who wear them with long pants can even wear them with lightweight socks, although that seems to be considered a fashion embarrassment, but IMO it all depends on how it's done.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:54 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
If guys and girls are this polarized when it comes to sandals, I am wondering if people tend to shame girls/women for not wearing sandals or if guys pressure their girlfriend into doing so if she doesn’t already do so or if any guys out their dump their girlfriend for not doing so.

I would say a guy would lose his man card if he was overly concerned about what kind of footwear his girl was wearing and dumping her for not wearing sandals.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:09 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times
I'm female and never wear sandals. Nobody has ever questioned me about it.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
I didn't know this was even a thing people get judged for. I live on the beach in Florida and grew up on the beaches of South Carolina. Everyone I've ever known in my life wears flip flops including my 90 year old dad when he was still alive.

My husband lives in Oofos and would wear them to work if he could. I do wear flip flops to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty