Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 12:21 PM

16,957 posts, read 16,189,386 times

Advertisements

I for one do not miss seeing plumber's crack everywhere. I also do not miss worrying about my waist band sliding down every time I bend down to pick something up. I hated, hated low rise jeans and I will never wear them again even if they do come back into fashion.

Those low waisted jeans only work on certain body types. Mostly, slender athletic builds with not much of a backside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 12:26 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,525,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I thought low rise jeans looked SOOO good on the super skinny girls (and low rise bathing suits). I prefer a mid-rise. I have a short torso so "mom jeans" look ridiculous on me - and the super high rise is just not comfortable. I have too much thickness around the waist for the super low rise.
My daughter is 21 and she looks good in her "mom jeans" when she pairs them with a tight crop top - but that's not really a good look for grown women!!!

Right, the super skinny. Everyone else had "muffin tops." Low-rise jeans are not friendly to anyone who carries weight in the middle (apple shape) or who does not have a flat, toned abdomen. I say "good riddance."

Then again, I don't even wear denim anymore. I have pants (not slacks or leggings) that have the same kind of pockets, zippers, belt looops, and rivets as jeans, but are made with a different fabric that also has a little Lycra for comfort. (But not those "jeggings" you see on late-night TV commercials!) Michael Kors. I love them.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:29 PM

My nightmare outfit would be low rise jeans paired with a crop top.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:53 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,604,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
My nightmare outfit would be low rise jeans paired with a crop top.
Even though I have the “flat, toned abdomen” etc I stay away from crop tops.

It would feel almost exhibitionistic. I don’t want eyes drawn to specific body parts regardless in what manner, you know?

As someone posted, the fashion makers don’t care who buys the stuff, just that they BUY.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,209,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I can't stand the "mom from the 1980's" high rise jeans in style today. They are so unflattering and make the most attractive woman look frumpy and dated. It wasn't a good trend then, and it still isn't now.
The 80's had a LOT of frump - baggy jeans...baggy Shaker knit sweaters...long skirts...I can go on and on.

I think now there is a much broader variety. Maybe some jeans are high rise but others aren't as extreme and others are more fitted. So it's not as one note as fashions from a couple decades ago. You may have to work a bit harder but I think it's possible to find something that better flatters your own body now.

And low-rise jeans flatter very few body types and look ridiculous if you're older than 35, regardless of how fit you are.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The 80's had a LOT of frump - baggy jeans...baggy Shaker knit sweaters...long skirts...I can go on and on.

I think now there is a much broader variety. Maybe some jeans are high rise but others aren't as extreme and others are more fitted. So it's not as one note as fashions from a couple decades ago. You may have to work a bit harder but I think it's possible to find something that better flatters your own body now.

And low-rise jeans flatter very few body types and look ridiculous if you're older than 35, regardless of how fit you are.
Teenage girls can pull off frump, though. I remember the prairie skirt trend, Candies and those heeled brown sandals that we all had. I also remember wearing jeans that sat at the waist and hugged the backside. The pleated fronts hid whatever teeny little bellies we had. Fuzzy short sleeved sweaters, jean jackets. Madonna inspired skirts and tops. I loved the long, thick winter Forenza sweaters that hid the extra "winter weight", followed by the spring work out clothes paired with leg warmers to get ready for the summer.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:04 PM

3,410 posts, read 1,361,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Reason: Muffin top.

You definitely start some interesting threads about fashion.

/thread

I didn't think there would be anything odd about this thread. Low rise jeans used to be THE fashion, but suddenly out of the blue, people stopped wearing them. I don't get why that happens in fashion. If you like to wear something, why stop wearing it?

Old 10-27-2021, 09:40 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,209,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I didn't think there would be anything odd about this thread. Low rise jeans used to be THE fashion, but suddenly out of the blue, people stopped wearing them. I don't get why that happens in fashion. If you like to wear something, why stop wearing it?
At some point what you have wears out and even if you want to continue wearing something and want to buy "X" the designers aren't showing it so you can't. That was the case even more so in the past - as I said earlier, I think fashion looks are less focused now.

BTW, "hip hugger" jeans with huge flared bell bottoms were all that was worn in the '70's....I myself had a pair of jeans that I swear the zipper was no more than 4" long! But I was probably in junior high at the time and weighed less than 100 pounds. Then they went out of style...but in fashion there is "nothing new under the sun" - it always comes back around eventually.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:15 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,291,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Agreed. What's not to love?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVk15-kCUAAOOm_.jpg:large

Old 10-27-2021, 10:19 PM

3,410 posts, read 1,361,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Money. Fashion has to change constantly for the industry to make money.
Low waisted goes out, high waisted comes in.
Funny, one fashion that NEVER changes but I wish would is flip flops. Those flimsy footwear have been the summer style for decades! I can’t believe the fashion industry can’t come up with other types of stylish footwear for summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty