Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 04:16 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I like "Thrive" mascara - doesn't flake or clump. and "100% Pure" Mascara. I get both online. https://www.amazon.com/100-PURE-Leng...00BC9QI1S?th=1

https://thrivecausemetics.com/?msclk...ve%20Cosmetics
I love Thrive, but I wouldn’t call it soft. I use the black and it’s quite dramatic. Not sure if it comes in brown or a lighter shade. But it works freat and lasts all day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 04:30 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In my opinion the wand is very important. I’m 62, I have hooded eyes now, and I just finished a spate of trying mascaras. I tried expensive mascaras, I tried cheap mascaras, and what I have discovered is that more importantly than the formula which does matter, the wand is the most important aspect of the mascara.

For me, the non-flexible silicone type spiky wands are what I want. And because my eyes are on the smaller side, I don’t want one that’s huge. Benefit’s They’re Real mascara wand is HUGE, I poked my eyeball a number of times using it. Great mascara, bad wand.

Also, I don’t know why mascara flakes. I tried Too Faced Better than Sex, Blinc tubing mascara, Urban Decay Perversion… all of the expensive mascara flaked like crazy on me. There were a few others I can’t remember… but at that point I decided expensive mascara obviously doesn’t work for me.

Informationally if this matters, my skin is dry, and I do use CeraVe moisturizer.

So, I went back to Maybelline. My favorite is the volume express the falsies in the purple tube. There’s several versions of the falsies mascara, this one is the cheapest. It has a brush wand, and fibers. Because that’s my preference.

I also tried the Maybelline lash sensation Full fan effect. It has a curved spiky brush that is not flexible. It worked really well too, but I miss the fibers. I like fibers I like having a little drama on my eyelashes. What you want to look for, once again in my opinion, is a nonflexible silicone wand. If it’s flexible, every time you try to clear a clump, the brush will bend and not push into your lashes. You need some thing that’s going to push into your lashes to comb them out and separate them.

L’Oreal mascara has something they call telescopic. That one is a little strange, if my memory serves it has a flat part wand with combs on the edges. So the whole wand itself isn’t a comb. So you slam on the product with the flat side, and you comb it out with the spiky side. I remember using that and it worked beautifully. I used that when I was working, doing janitorial, and sweating and hot flashing and it held up all day long.

The reason I wore mascara to clean is because I have an eye condition called blepharitis. I needed to wear mascara so that at night I would thoroughly clean my eyelashes. And if I don’t wear mascara, I do a really lazy job of cleaning my eyelashes and my eyes get dry and red.

My mascara is aging out, I tend to switch it around three months, and I am going to try a different one. I really do prefer those silicon brushes but Maybelline doesn’t seem to do that with the fiber mascaras. L’Oreal does though, so I’m gonna give one of those a shot.
My eyes are hooded too. I’ve always wondered if it’s the wand or the actual mascara that makes a difference. I think I agree that it’s mostly the wand.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:59 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Of course, one could always save an old wand that one liked, clean it well, and use it with a new mascara, as long is it fit through the tube opening... might be annoying to have to carry a spare wand, but they're not that big.

Old 06-04-2022, 05:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I love this one:
https://www.amazon.com/essence-Princ.../dp/B00T0C9XRK
Well not only me - some quarter milion people love it too.
Just apply once for less dramatic effect, and your lashes will look fabulous!
When I clicked on the link, it shows the price is $2. ???

But when you go to buy it, it's a normal mascara price of about 13 bucks.

Everyone else see that?

Old 06-04-2022, 08:46 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
$4.99 and stayed that way for me.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:04 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Of course, one could always save an old wand that one liked, clean it well, and use it with a new mascara, as long is it fit through the tube opening... might be annoying to have to carry a spare wand, but they're not that big.
I did that with They’re Real and frankly, it got old. My recollection was you couldn’t seal the mascara tube because only that mascara tube top and wand fit. I ended up using the real wand to apply the mascara to the one that I was going to use and putting it back into the mascara tube. It worked well, but it was an expensive mascara with a crappy brush. I did it for three months and I decided it was no longer worth it. There are other mascaras out there that are just as good.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:09 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In my opinion the wand is very important. I’m 62, I have hooded eyes now, and I just finished a spate of trying mascaras. I tried expensive mascaras, I tried cheap mascaras, and what I have discovered is that more importantly than the formula which does matter, the wand is the most important aspect of the mascara.

For me, the non-flexible silicone type spiky wands are what I want. And because my eyes are on the smaller side, I don’t want one that’s huge. Benefit’s They’re Real mascara wand is HUGE, I poked my eyeball a number of times using it. Great mascara, bad wand.

Also, I don’t know why mascara flakes. I tried Too Faced Better than Sex, Blinc tubing mascara, Urban Decay Perversion… all of the expensive mascara flaked like crazy on me. There were a few others I can’t remember… but at that point I decided expensive mascara obviously doesn’t work for me.

Informationally if this matters, my skin is dry, and I do use CeraVe moisturizer.

So, I went back to Maybelline. My favorite is the volume express the falsies in the purple tube. There’s several versions of the falsies mascara, this one is the cheapest. It has a brush wand, and fibers. Because that’s my preference.

I also tried the Maybelline lash sensation Full fan effect. It has a curved spiky brush that is not flexible. It worked really well too, but I miss the fibers. I like fibers I like having a little drama on my eyelashes. What you want to look for, once again in my opinion, is a nonflexible silicone wand. If it’s flexible, every time you try to clear a clump, the brush will bend and not push into your lashes. You need some thing that’s going to push into your lashes to comb them out and separate them.

L’Oreal mascara has something they call telescopic. That one is a little strange, if my memory serves it has a flat part wand with combs on the edges. So the whole wand itself isn’t a comb. So you slam on the product with the flat side, and you comb it out with the spiky side. I remember using that and it worked beautifully. I used that when I was working, doing janitorial, and sweating and hot flashing and it held up all day long.

The reason I wore mascara to clean is because I have an eye condition called blepharitis. I needed to wear mascara so that at night I would thoroughly clean my eyelashes. And if I don’t wear mascara, I do a really lazy job of cleaning my eyelashes and my eyes get dry and red.

My mascara is aging out, I tend to switch it around three months, and I am going to try a different one. I really do prefer those silicon brushes but Maybelline doesn’t seem to do that with the fiber mascaras. L’Oreal does though, so I’m gonna give one of those a shot.
I also have blepharitis, but for me it causes my eyes (usually just the left one) to sometimes water a lot during the day, to the point of having to have a tissue with me. I usually don't do anything special for it, but occasionally I use the eye-wipes and they really do a great job of cleaning.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:25 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
I like Cover Girl Remarkable Professional, it's smudge resistant but not waterproof so not impossible to remove and it's not too dramatic. It had disappeared for a while and I didn't like anything else I tried, even much more expensive brands. Now it's back on the shelves and all is well.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:36 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
I second this one! It’s the best mascara I’ve ever used. I keep extras on hand so I don’t have to use another brand. Don’t let the low price scare you.
I'll third it. One of the best mascaras I've ever used.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2022, 09:05 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I love this one:
https://www.amazon.com/essence-Princ.../dp/B00T0C9XRK
Well not only me - some quarter milion people love it too.
Just apply once for less dramatic effect, and your lashes will look fabulous!
The brush is nice. It’s not huge and fat. So it doesn’t make a mess.

However, the formula is a dryer formula. To me a dryer formula goes on thinner. I actually prefer a wet mascara formula. A wetter mascara formula is clumpy for a lot of people, but I never seem to have an issue with it, and that also means that I can use a blow dryer on cold to dry and set my lash curl.

I also have no need to wiggle the brush on my lashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty