Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 12:18 PM

72 posts, read 109,261 times

Advertisements

I've been taking a history class and noticed that many great scientists/political figures in the past had long beards (Abraham Lincoln, Charles Darwin, Karl Marx). Today, having such long facial hair would make most people think that you're unkempt or even homeless. What brought about the shift in perception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 01:02 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I don't think I would say that facial hair is unfashionable, but rather unkempt facial hair in particular. I would think it would be due to the advancement in shaving/trimming tools and methods that made it much easier for men to better groom themselves.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:04 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't think I would say that facial hair is unfashionable, but rather unkempt facial hair in particular. I would think it would be due to the advancement in shaving/trimming tools and methods that made it much easier for men to better groom themselves.
I agree - always liked a nice (trimmed) mustache and a nicely trimmed beard - do NOT like the "mountain man" look at all.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:17 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Long facial hair IS fashionable in certain circles. If you're a Harley biker in a club, long beards are common.

And I'm no expert on the matter, but it seems like a lot of gay men like a TOTALLY smooth body, and then conversely, there's a contingent of gay men who are teddy bears.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:20 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
My WAG is too many beards got caught in machinery during the height of the industrial revolution.

Interestingly, virtually none of the Founding Fathers had facial hair. American men didn't wear beards until around the time of Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War.

I disagree with your "today" statement. Have you seen Millenial men today? Some look like Rasputin. Beards are extremely popular with Millenial men, many of whom look like they rarely ever trim them.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:33 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that facial hair might be more popular than ever, but only if it's well-groomed. That's why there are so many more products and tools specifically for beards available, and more men interested in skin/hair care and barbers coming back into fashion.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:18 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
I think its become unfashionable with the younger generation (<40) partly in part due to the preference of a younger, cleaner, smoother look which is most fashionable (think Jonas Bros, BTS, One Direction, etc.). Also, the beard look seems to have been adopted as the look of choice of the wannabe "operator" types who tend to primarily be MAGA people and/or militia types. You'll find only a small sampling of women who finds these types to be attractive. Of course, there are rare outliers like Jason Mamoa who most women on the planet seem to find super sexy.

But, women seem to still like men with smooth faces or neatly trimmed, slightly more than 5 oclock shadow growth, but not full on hairy grizzly adams type beards.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 06-14-2022 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-14-2022, 02:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
I've been taking a history class and noticed that many great scientists/political figures in the past had long beards (Abraham Lincoln, Charles Darwin, Karl Marx). Today, having such long facial hair would make most people think that you're unkempt or even homeless. What brought about the shift in perception?
Not sure where you live, but in the US facial hair on men is very much in fashion. It's not unfashionable at all. Not sure where you're getting that people assume one with long facial hair is unkempt or homeless. That's certainly not the case. My dad has had a beard for about 60 years. No one has ever asked about him being homeless or unkempt.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I think its become unfashionable with the younger generation (<40) partly in part due to the preference of a younger, cleaner, smoother look which is most fashionable (think Jonas Bros, BTS, One Direction, etc.). Also, the beard look seems to have been adopted as the look of choice of the wannabe "operator" types who tend to primarily be MAGA people and/or militia types. You'll find only a small sampling of women who finds these types to be attractive. Of course, there are rare outliers like Jason Mamoa who most women on the planet seem to find super sexy.

But, women seem to still like men with smooth faces or neatly trimmed, slightly more than 5 oclock shadow growth, but not full on hairy grizzly adams type beards.
I ALWAYS thought men with dark hair and nicely trimmed beards were super sexy.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:31 PM

Let's put it this way...if a guy is growing a brillo pad for a beard, or it looks like a bird could make a nest in it, or it looks like its collecting crumbs...I wouldn't be interested. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty