U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 PM

348 posts, read 1,589,952 times
Question Anyone here have Rosacea like me??

If so, what kind of skin care products do you use? I use a gentle cleanser from the Boots line at Target & Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin moisturizer. So far these have worked ok, it took me forever to find a moisturizer that wouldn't burn my face!! But as the weather heats up, I'm noticing that it kinda does hurt to put the moisturizer on & my skin is turning even more sensitive. What's worse, is I'm moving to Arizona at the end of the week & am afraid that my condition will get worse given the extreme heat & weather that I'll have coming up this summer. I just bought Neutrogena Sensitive Skin sunblock after doing some research on good sunblocks.

Does anyone out there have this condition? I am only 28, yet know from what my doctor told me that there is no 'cure' for Rosacea & it only gets worse as you get older--is that true? I don't want this to ruin my self-esteem nor my relationship. I want to control it in every way possible so it doesn't become worse as I age.

I also don't want to be on antibiotics forever because of their interference with the Pill. I feel like this is a lifelong thing that I'm going to have to treat for the rest of my life. What's a girl to do??

Anyone who has it and/or can give any advice & suggestions on what kind of skin care products to use, I would appreciate it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 PM

9,926 posts, read 8,550,668 times
I use Aloe Soothing Day Cream from The Body Shop. It's very soothing and extremely light.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:09 AM

8,776 posts, read 14,611,025 times
I've heard you should never put on your body what you can't eat. Everything you use, from shampoo, conditioners, lotions, moisturizers, makeup,etc is absorbed into your skin and goes into your bloodstream.
An excellent moisturizer is organic virgin coconut oil(VCO). Put on a light film, then take a warm washcloth to your face and hold it there and let the coconut oil seep in. VCO also has natural antiseptic qualities.
You can also do this with organic extra virgin olive oil. I prefer the coconut oil and it's also quite tasty. I put it in smoothies.

There are many companies out there that have excellent natural moisturizers, and they will not irritate your skin. They feel soothing going on.
Origins, Aveda, Burts bees, Kiss my face, Desert Essence, Jasons, Avalon, The Body Shop,etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:25 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,132,591 times
If you want to avoid antibiotics, consider asking your doctor to prescribe a topical medication that can be applied to your face. Save the antibiotic prescription, though, to use during bad outbreaks.

Fragrance free products work best for my sensitive skin; anything with a fragrance will usually damage it. You may also want to evaluate the combination of products you use. Two products might both be safe by themselves, but the combination can be disastrous. If that is the case, you may want to stick to a single product line. A general precaution is to introduce only one product to your regime at a time to help pinpoint any problems you might encounter.

I was browsing Drugstore.com looking for products for my daughter's sensitive skin. Lots of reviewers stated that Phisoderm cleanser was the only product they have found for their sensitive skin. I ordered some for my daughter, and her face seems to be doing better. (I'm going to swipe some of hers to see if it helps me.) I used Phisoderm as a teen/young adult, and my skin seemed to be in better shape than my daughter's. However, I had to be careful what products I used in combination with it.

Unfortunately, rosacea does seem to get worse as you get older. In my mid-30s, I developed eye problems because of it. My normally excellent vision became very blurry because of the oils secreted by my skin. Once the rosacea was treated, the vision problems disappeared. I took myself off the antibiotics, but occasionally I get really bad outbreaks. I'm hoping to find the right combination of products that will help me keep the rosacea under control without medication. I've found that my complexion problems largely disappear if I eat according to my blood type. (Google "Eat Right for your Type.") Of course, drinking lots of water helps to flush the toxins out of the system, also.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,868,792 times
Im 49 and Rosacea since my 30s. It stinks! There is no cure, but
I would suggest no extreme heat or sun. I use Aveeno moisturizing
cleanser (in the bar form) and Cerave Moisturizer,then I use Camellia
Seed Oil just on the Red places. Seems to be helping some. You could
see a dr. and ask to try MetroGel Topical, or a new one called Finacea Gel
or cream. I tried the low dose antibiotic but it broke me out in a rash
on neck/chest/and back. Bummer was that it cleared up my face pretty
well. Cant win for losing!
Hope you find what works for you! But do see a dermatologist!

Greenchili

Old 05-27-2008, 02:26 PM

I guess I forgot to mention I do see a dertmatologist & have been for a long time. I was diagnosed with it almost a year ago. I am currently using the Finacea gel. It seems to help some--when I first put it on, it makes my cheeks really red & then it dissipates--maybe that means it's working, I don't know. But just in the last couple weeks, my skin on my cheeks where I put it is peeling--like I have a sunburn--I don't know if it's the weather change or what.

I see Eucerin has a line out of 'redness relief' products that are designed for people with sensitive skin & Rosacea. Anyone tried that? I use Eucerin lotion & it's the best. I'm trying not to spend a load of $ on expensive products--but if I only could find one that's right for me!

PinkString--out of those stores you mentioned, anyone in particular you would recommend that is somewhat affordable?? I guess organic is the way to go.

To avoid extreme heat & temperatures is going to be really hard considering I'll be in Arizona soon!! Talk about heat--I'm starting to feel like it's going to get even worse when I move there & that I will have to use extra precaution. Or I'll just have to spend my whole summer inside

Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,868,792 times
Ive tried the Eucerin Red relief stuff. It was nothing spectacular.
And, yes, you might just have to avoid the heat as much as possible.Rosacea is a bugger!

Greenchili

Old 05-27-2008, 03:21 PM

LOL, yes it is!! So the Eucerin not great, but was it at least not irratating to the skin? You've had it for that long, huh? Yeah, I actually dislike Aveeno---the cleanser made my skin dry out just as if I were using a cheaper cleanser. Guess everything doesn't work for everyone. Very frustrating trying to find the right stuff! I was thinking about getting one of those big dorky sunhats for this summer in AZ--at least it'd protect me from the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Ive tried the Eucerin Red relief stuff. It was nothing spectacular.
And, yes, you might just have to avoid the heat as much as possible.Rosacea is a bugger!

Greenchili

Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 PM

170 posts, read 643,341 times
I have rosacea but I've never used antibiotics for it. I did have it treated with IPL several years ago, have used Cetaphil as a cleanser for the last 7 years, Dermalogica's Barrier Repair as a moisturizer and periodically use Rosacea Relief and Skinceuticals C E Ferulic.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:37 PM

4,597 posts, read 7,270,151 times
Rosacea is genetic, and it does get worse. My Father has it, as did his Mother, and my two sisters and I both have it, to varying degrees.

I came to the Forum and asked about treatments, and two that have helped me considerably included an organic glycerin soap with aloe in it, and a moisturizing lotion with seabuckthorn oil, made from the plant. I purchased them both at Whole Foods. Someone also suggested taking aloe tablets, available at WalMart, but I haven't been to my DR yet to verify that taking it would be OK for me -- I take some other medications for my heart and GERD.

The dermatologist had been prescribing doxycycline but the PCP raised some concerns with taking it too routinely. I use two lotions for which I have a prescription, and see considerable difference with them. One is a topical antibiotic/sulfur lotion with a sunscreen in it that I use during the day, and at night, I apply the Finacea gel (azaleaic acid).

Keep the sun off your skin. I wear a hat always during the summer months. Try not to overheat, which is hard for me as I enjoy working in my yard, and drink plenty of water. You will see much more of the flushing and redness as you approach menopause, but I saw some improvement when I was done with menopause, too. I am 53, and have had rosacea since I turned 40. For the longest time, I thought I was wind-burned or something.

Good luck. It is the MOST frustrating thing, and I hate it. Ironically, as a young woman I had the most beautiful skin, and that makes it all the more difficult to deal with, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty