Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 01:18 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to see well dressed women usually younger than 35 with a nose piercing and it's just so unappealing. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder and trends always change over time. I find the trend of dressing well and nose piercing to be very unappealing and distracting.

1st of all, facial beauty is all about symmetry. If you have one bigger ear ring on one ear, it looks off.

Having nose piercing is like having a shiny pimple next to the nose.

What do yall think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 01:31 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
To me, I think a nose stud looks pretty. A nose ring, less so. It's more distracting to me...but yet, I think a stud looks nice. lol

Old 10-14-2022, 01:31 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
I'm male, have had sinus issues forever, and had sinus cancer a while back, and have to use a sinus rinse to clean out my nose. When I see a nose piercing, the only thing I can think of is how much that would irritate the inside of the nose, and feel like there's a chunk of dried mucus stuck there.

Old 10-14-2022, 02:11 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
A small stud doesn't bother me but when I see a nose ring the first thing I think of is being led around by it like some rancher's prized Hereford bull. Not exactly my idea of sophistication. Either that or I'm tempted to offer them a hanky to wipe away a drip.

Old 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I'm starting to see well dressed women usually younger than 35 with a nose piercing and it's just so unappealing. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder and trends always change over time. I find the trend of dressing well and nose piercing to be very unappealing and distracting.

1st of all, facial beauty is all about symmetry. If you have one bigger ear ring on one ear, it looks off.

Having nose piercing is like having a shiny pimple next to the nose.

What do yall think about it?
I'm 48 and have been considering a nose stud for a while. I don't mind the rings, but I'm always scared I would get it caught on something. So I'm thinking a little rhinestone stud. If it's distracting to someone or they find it unappealing, that's a THEM problem and not a ME problem. I wouldn't be doing it for anyone but me.

And I've never really been concerned with symmetry. I have one piercing in one ear and three in the other ... it's been that way for over 30 years.

Old 10-14-2022, 02:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
I've seen a few ugly nose studs/rings but a pretty ornament well-placed can look nice.

Old 10-14-2022, 02:46 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I dig them.

Old 10-14-2022, 02:55 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I had a nose stud in college and then took it out because I was afraid I would seem unprofessional.

Then my oncologist had a nose ring. And half of my oncology nurses (all with masters or doctorates). And lots of other women in power that I admire.

When I moved to a pretty high power corporate job, I got my nose repierced at 34. I do my makeup and hair every day, wear blazers over dresses and don't particularly dress down on the weekends, and my nose ring doesn't feel out of place in corporate America in 2022.

As far as facial beauty, my face is already uneven and one ear is bigger than the other. A nose piercing actually brings visual focus to the center of my face rather than to some of that unevenness at the periphery.

Old 10-14-2022, 03:11 PM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I have allergies, pretty much year-round. They call 'em seasonal, but in the spring the spring things are blooming, in the summer the summer things are blooming, in the fall the fall things are blooming, in the winter it's moldy and damp, and I'm allergic to it all. Pretty much every single morning I wake up and blow my nose hugely several dozen times before I get out of the house.

That's what I imagine when I see nose rings and such. Just imagine all the snot on those things day after day.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
I'm certainly in the minority, given how many people have piercings. To each their own... I don't recoil from styles I don't like, but I'm never going to admire a piercing or tattoo or green hair. None look good to me. I just look at it as, they're not for me... do what you like.

But, truth be told, I don't even like pierced ears. I don't like jewelry, have never worn it & just don't find myself drawn to it in any way. It doesn't bother me on others, I just don't care about it. I find all of the above more distracting than anything.

With facial piercings, same as above. I don't understand the appeal... it's just something that's lost on me.

I grew up in the old days when the only ones with tattoos were military guys who had a pic of the ship they served on, on their forearm. My dad had one... when we were kids, he told us he was a pirate, lol. Tats were unusual & only for the blue collar sect back then... which also was my dad. Kids at school were shocked if they ever saw his tat... they'd remind me that their dads wore long sleeve shirts & ties to work & Hells Angels had tats. Maybe that's why no one ever bullied me... they thought my dad was an Angel.

My neice is covered in tats from the tops of her feet to her throat & even the backs of her hands are covered. She also has piercings all over her face & plugs in her ears. She can remove some of it, but of course, the ear lobes look long & odd with large holes. I don't know if you notice holes when/if she removes piercings from eyebrows, cheeks, mouth area, nose & don't know if she ever takes out the tongue piercing. She has multiple piercings on all of those places... something like 10 in 1 ear... 3+ in her nose.

When she began rebelliously getting body embellishments at 16-ish, of course she wanted to be the most different in her circle. Well, she achieved it. Now, at 30-something... she's finding it hard to get serious jobs, or maybe that's the point... she's not ambitious, at all. That's not a commentary on all... she's the only one I know with piercings, plugs & tats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty