Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times

Advertisements

I am convinced: I am being discriminated at my job because I have a large chest. Yes, again with this large boob thread! I am in my 30's and work for a private school in Florida. The average temperature during the school year is about 75. I have thin arms, and a thin waist, but a DD chest. I have a very hard time finding tops that fit well, and I don't have the money to have my clothes tailored (even if there was one around!). ALL my administrators are older, unattractive women (not that it matters, just giving some background). I don't wear tight shirts, or thin strapped tops. I don't wear low cut shirts at all, just simple Vnecks and scoop neck shirts, usually long sleeved. Yet, I always seem to get told that my tops are not appropriate. No further details, just that it's not appropriate. This is usually said to me in front of other coworkers also which I find totally unprofessional. I try to shop for work clothes at higher end stores. Do I need to resort to wearing turtle necks? Do I need to wear shirts that are 2x too big, so my bosses don't think they are too tight?? I have asked the opinion of my friends, coworkers, husband and also my mom (who is almost 70). Everyone has said my tops are appropriate. Does anyone else go through this?? What do I do. I have resorted to constantly wearing a big baggy cardigan, to cover my chest. This is unflattering and usually brings down what I think is a classy outfit. Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
If I only I could afford to get reduced to that size, I would quite happy. When it comes to clothes, I have the same problem as you. It's very hard to fit into clothing when the average woman is a "C" cup - and we're both quite larger than that.

When it comes to the fashion side of this thread:
Faux turtlenecks that are loose would probably make you look quite larger than you are... but they (work) shouldn't complain too much. You say that you work for a Private School (religious based?) - they may not want any sort of boob lines showing. And by boob lines - I mean the crease between the boobs from them being mashed together by that god-awful invention called a bra.

Instead of the scoop or V-necks, I would recommend tops that cover them completely. Oversized button-ups are great. Because it's oversized, it is sure to sit alright on the girls - and while it may be a tent for your waist... it's better to look larger than to be embarassed over boobs. ((Make sure to wear an undershirt 'cause oversized shirts tend to move a lot....))

If you don't want to get rid of the shirts you already have, I've found that wearing something like Under Armour under those types is not only flattering, but covers everything up. They also feel great.

And my last fashion advice will probably sound the absolute worst. Ever try binding? Easiest way is to get an undershirt (light and airy is best) and use one of those waist cincher things around the boobs then put on a shirt that won't show the cincher. It sounds uncomfortable, but I've found that it's really helpful to hide size. It's also great when exercising because there's no room for floppage.

As for as the Workplace goes:
I would advise that you bring in one of the "inappropriate" tops and sit down in this person's office and have them explain to you what the problem is. Again, because it's a private school, they may not like any sort of boob crease.

I hope these suggestions help you out in this "massive" trouble.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:28 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
People always assume sexual harassment is just from the opposite sex but.........I beg to differ.

Here's the thing,
You have big boobs, there really is no way to hide them. Now 75 is not that hot so you do have options that are both comfortable and fashionable.

Ashley Stewart Sleeveless Drape Neck Top (http://www.ashleystewart.com/ashleystewart/browse/productDetail.jsp?icProduct=7673X&icSort=%2Bdispla yPriceInfo - broken link)#

Cuffed 3/4-length sleeve linen-blend jacket at Lane Bryant - Visit lanebryant.com for women's plus-size clothing and lingerie in sizes 14-28

Ashley Stewart (http://www.ashleystewart.com/ashleystewart/ - broken link)

Short sleeved textured jacket at Lane Bryant - Visit lanebryant.com for women's plus-size clothing and lingerie in sizes 14-28

this is flattering without being offensive IMO

Ashley Stewart Sleeveless Drape Neck Top (http://www.ashleystewart.com/ashleystewart/browse/productDetail.jsp?icProduct=7673X&icSort=%2Bdispla yPriceInfo - broken link)#

a dual top
Simply Irresistible Plus Size Duet Top : Women's Clothing from Overstock.com?

Also, do you wear jewlery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I am convinced: I am being discriminated at my job because I have a large chest. Yes, again with this large boob thread! I am in my 30's and work for a private school in Florida. The average temperature during the school year is about 75. I have thin arms, and a thin waist, but a DD chest. I have a very hard time finding tops that fit well, and I don't have the money to have my clothes tailored (even if there was one around!). ALL my administrators are older, unattractive women (not that it matters, just giving some background). I don't wear tight shirts, or thin strapped tops. I don't wear low cut shirts at all, just simple Vnecks and scoop neck shirts, usually long sleeved. Yet, I always seem to get told that my tops are not appropriate. No further details, just that it's not appropriate. This is usually said to me in front of other coworkers also which I find totally unprofessional. I try to shop for work clothes at higher end stores. Do I need to resort to wearing turtle necks? Do I need to wear shirts that are 2x too big, so my bosses don't think they are too tight?? I have asked the opinion of my friends, coworkers, husband and also my mom (who is almost 70). Everyone has said my tops are appropriate. Does anyone else go through this?? What do I do. I have resorted to constantly wearing a big baggy cardigan, to cover my chest. This is unflattering and usually brings down what I think is a classy outfit. Help

Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 AM

Bjones1976, I'm not trying to sound mean or rude, but what kind of tops do you recommend for those of us who are not plus sized?

I'm not giving away my complete measurements but to give you a figure of my size, I wear a size 3 or 4 ((I can wear a 6 with a belt...)) in NY&C pants... and have quite a larger curse than Oobie119.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:50 AM

603 posts, read 2,358,246 times
I'm so sorry you are having this problem. It sounds like these old ladies are jealous! Have you tried dresses? If you go to Nordstrom's website, go to the professional dresses section and you can click on what your body type is. Click on "full bust" and poof-they show you a bunch of dresses that would flatter your figure but also be professional for work. Maybe you can even sit down with the administrator, with your computer and select a dress before ordering? If they continue to give you a hard time, I would start looking for another job. If you love it there, then maybe you can report sexual harassment to a higher up?

I used to work with a woman who had a very large chest and she always looked professional. She tended to wear tops like you described (V-neck, long or short sleeve, fitted turtlenecks (not too tight but not tents either) and many tailored, button-down shirts. No one ever told her she was dressed inappropriately. So I really think your administrators are crazy.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:03 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
I, too work in a private school in Florida and am 'blessed' with a large chest. Like the previous poster I am a DD - and although I know there are many larger, it does make it difficult to buy regularly sized clothing. I need a size Large bottom and a 1X top.
However, I have been blessed that no one has ever said anything to me at school regarding dress.

A couple of ideas for the poster. Visit a store like Lane Bryant or Catherines which cater to plus size women. They can help you find a good minimizer bra that will help 'contain' the problem area. I never realized until recently that most regular stores do not have the correct size and style of bras to accommodate women of our size. I had been purchasing my bras from them, but once I found Lane Bryant's - I will never purchase a bra from anywhere else. They are made specifically for women of our size. Finding the right size, fit and style of bra can do wonders. And these are not just for plus size women....I have seen 'blessed' women of all sizes in Lane Bryant buying their bras.

The style of today makes it especially difficult. EVERYTHING seems to be lowcut. Some options would be to look for round neck lines, high boat necks and button up shirts that you button higher up than usual. While mock turtle neck works, as a fellow Floridian - the only time it would be comfortable would be in winter.

Also, be careful of fabrics. Much of the popular knits today really cling and make you look even bigger. Try for a fabric that drapes the body without really 'fitting'.

A good, supportive, minimizer bra that covers and supports well and paired with some tops like this:

Sheer chiffon peasant top at Lane Bryant - Visit lanebryant.com for women's plus-size clothing and lingerie in sizes 14-28

Black and white print poncho at Lane Bryant - Visit lanebryant.com for women's plus-size clothing and lingerie in sizes 14-28

Crew neck graphic tee at Lane Bryant - Visit lanebryant.com for women's plus-size clothing and lingerie in sizes 14-28

Smocked inset button front blouse at Lane Bryant - Visit lanebryant.com for women's plus-size clothing and lingerie in sizes 14-28

You didn't mention what size you wore, but these styles would minimize the bustline and also are high enough in the neck to cover most cleavage lines. Even though there is a knit shirt here...the pattern would distract the attention from the bustline.

I would also speak with my director or supervisor regarding the comments. Make clear your intentions to dress conservatively. If you act professionally, you have a right to expect to be treated the same.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
People always assume sexual harassment is just from the opposite sex but.........I beg to differ.

Here's the thing,
You have big boobs, there really is no way to hide them. Now 75 is not that hot so you do have options that are both comfortable and fashionable.

Cuffed 3/4-length sleeve linen-blend jacket at Lane Bryant - Visit lanebryant.com for women's plus-size clothing and lingerie in sizes 14-28

Ashley Stewart (http://www.ashleystewart.com/ashleystewart/ - broken link)

Short sleeved textured jacket at Lane Bryant - Visit lanebryant.com for women's plus-size clothing and lingerie in sizes 14-28

this is flattering without being offensive IMO

a dual top
Simply Irresistible Plus Size Duet Top : Women's Clothing from Overstock.com?

Also, do you wear jewlery?

These are great ideas, but Im not a plus size. Im a size 8 waist,with thin arms.. I don't really feel I should have to buy in a woman's store where the clothes will only fit my chest..

Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
Why would I think you were being mean or rude?

If I am understanding you correctly, you have a small waist but a set of "mature girls" right?

The tricks for you are belts, stretchy materials and accessories. Darts can also be a girls best friend but, I'd probably still add a belt (just because it's cuter) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Bjones1976, I'm not trying to sound mean or rude, but what kind of tops do you recommend for those of us who are not plus sized?

I'm not giving away my complete measurements but to give you a figure of my size, I wear a size 3 or 4 ((I can wear a 6 with a belt...)) in NY&C pants... and have quite a larger curse than Oobie119.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Typically, as a guy, I'm all for them.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Why would I think you were being mean or rude?

If I am understanding you correctly, you have a small waist but a set of "mature girls" right?

The tricks for you are belts, stretchy materials and accessories. Darts can also be a girls best friend but, I'd probably still add a belt (just because it's cuter) .
I just didn't want to brush off wrong about the plus size thing. And yes, I've got a small(er) waist and a large problem area.

And I perfectly agree about the belts (if I actually liked them...) and stretch material. The biggest problem is that stretch material clothing is more or less made to cling to the natural form of the body anyways. This is good for most, but there does come the problem that if it clings right to the waist area, I'm almost ripping the seams uptop. If it clings correctly uptop, the material doesn't fit or feel right for the waist. Stretchy fabric that isn't clinging (and moves around a lot) causes quite a bit of skin irritation. That's the normal problem.

Through much thrift store shopping, personal alterations, and hours upon days in dressing rooms - I have managed to find some good pieces that I love... and a few crummy pieces for when I'm grumpy.

I guess my biggest problem (especially with belts) is that I don't like to completely contour my upper and lower torso - but I also don't want to look like I'm pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty