Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 10:23 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,502,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I hope you will continue to post here.
Thank you Sky!

Quote:
A French co-worker of mine told me a lot of European cosmetic companies don't have to deal with the FDA (like anyone selling cosmetics in the United States has to get approval from them first...) French skincare has always been ahead of North American skincare, since French culture doesn't demonize women for wanting to look
My POV is just that it’s up to the consumer to find the same organic & natural or clean beauty products here. It’s not like they aren’t widely available or that we can’t read labels on what we buy in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 10:10 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,083,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Thank you Sky!

My POV is just that it’s up to the consumer to find the same organic & natural or clean beauty products here. It’s not like they aren’t widely available or that we can’t read labels on what we buy in the U.S.
I have to point out that people pressed for time (like working mothers, students, etc.) often literally don't have time to read labels. I've often grabbed the wrong product on a trip to a store b/c my day got hectic and 15 minutes got shaved off my trip to get things. These people often stick to the tried and true, or read up on something new when given a chance.

Also some regions of the US are what I call "backwoods" and retailers won't stock products that don't "move"....Leaving a lot of people to rely on online orders for specialty items, or buying multiples on trips specifically done for certain items.

(When I moved to my current region, we made a long road trip to go to the nicest retailer for home furnishings, as everything at the cheaper local stores was not going to cut it. This is normal for people in rural areas.)

Just saying. Lately I've noticed a lot of people have to change products due to allergic reactions, or just the march of time changing their needs. Americans love to complain but overall I do approve of the FDA being there for consumers.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:29 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,502,527 times
Quote:
I have to point out that people pressed for time (like working mothers, students, etc.) often literally don't have time to read labels. I've often grabbed the wrong product on a trip to a store b/c my day got hectic and 15 minutes got shaved off my trip to get things. These people often stick to the tried and true, or read up on something new when given a chance.

You don’t have to read the label every time tho. You can get to know the natural & organic or clean beauty brands & know from that. It’s the same thing with reading labels on our foods. IMO, it’s something we should care about. The products we use are our responsibility.

And, it takes a lot less time to read about a product or order it online than it does to drive to a store to pick it up. The store may not carry what you’re looking for anyway.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:29 AM

15,631 posts, read 26,117,738 times
Quote:

Also some regions of the US are what I call "backwoods" and retailers won't stock products that don't "move"....Leaving a lot of people to rely on online orders for specialty items, or buying multiples on trips specifically done for certain items.

(When I moved to my current region, we made a long road trip to go to the nicest retailer for home furnishings, as everything at the cheaper local stores was not going to cut it. This is normal for people in rural areas.)

Just saying. Lately I've noticed a lot of people have to change products due to allergic reactions, or just the march of time changing their needs. Americans love to complain but overall I do approve of the FDA being there for consumers.
Or sometimes they misread labels. I am allergic to soy. I scan ingredients list for soy. I was pressed for time when I picked up a hair mask read the front it said no soy, and bought it.

I got it home and I used it. And then I really read the ingredients. I actually read the Spanish side and apparently no soy in Spanish means something completely different than it means in English. It has soy in it. Luckily, I only use hair mask about once every two or three weeks. I’m good to go on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty