Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 01:32 PM

16,345 posts, read 12,322,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Be sure to preface this with "Hey, nice ink!" even if you don't like it.
Well, except that makes it sound like the OP has never seen it before, which obviously isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 01:38 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,069,618 times
“Look I know you’re a bit sensitive about this subject, but why did you deface your body with that grotesque looking thing. I can't believe my daughter picked such a loser!"

Old 03-13-2023, 02:18 PM

22,904 posts, read 18,207,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
“Look I know you’re a bit sensitive about this subject, but why did you deface your body with that grotesque looking thing. I can't believe my daughter picked such a loser!"
This one belongs in your "how to permanently alienate relatives you might need to deal with for a very long time" file folder!

Old 03-13-2023, 05:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,069,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This one belongs in your "how to permanently alienate relatives you might need to deal with for a very long time" file folder!
It was a joke but I suppose it's a card to play if he develops a habit of borrowing money and needs to be put in that folder.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:11 PM

14,660 posts, read 14,763,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
Sounds reasonable,but as I said, he is sensitive to criticism and makes unkind comments about other people contradicting him. I'll think about how to word my question. Thank you!
Don't ask him anything. If he is so immature, on the defensive and paranoid and has such delicate sensitivities about thinking he's being persecuted by other people then you should know better than to ask him any questions about anything and don't expect him to explain himself.

You can assume that he's like a little kid who just likes lightning bolts and that it has some personal significance to him, but leave it at that. Maybe just smile and nod at him and say "oh, that's nice" if he shows you his tattoos but don't speak to him at all about anything unless he initiates a civil and pleasant conversation with you first.

I have no patience with such uncivil delicate insecure flowers like him, they make you feel like you're always walking on eggshells around them. It's like he's a grenade just begging for somebody else to pull his pin. I sure hope he doesn't treat your daughter disrespectfully like that and that he and your daughter are not living with you in your home.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:16 PM

14,660 posts, read 14,763,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Bwahahahaha !!! Good one.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 6,846,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Don't ask him anything. If he is so immature, on the defensive and paranoid and has such delicate sensitivities about thinking he's being persecuted by other people then you should know better than to ask him any questions about anything and don't expect him to explain himself.

You can assume that he's like a little kid who just likes lightning bolts and that it has some personal significance to him, but leave it at that. Maybe just smile and nod at him and say "oh, that's nice" if he shows you his tattoos but don't speak to him at all about anything unless he initiates a civil and pleasant conversation with you first.

I have no patience with such uncivil delicate insecure flowers like him, they make you feel like you're always walking on eggshells around them. It's like he's a grenade just begging for somebody else to pull his pin. I sure hope he doesn't treat your daughter disrespectfully like that and that he and your daughter are not living with you in your home.

This post jumps to a lot of conclusions. We have zero proof that this person is 'insecure' or 'paranoid' or 'delicate', as we only have one side of the story. The way the OP describes it sounds like the way my mom talks about my brother in law. But, if you ask me from a 3rd party perspective, my mom fostered that relationship by actually BEING oddly critical and borderline passive aggressive in the way she talked to him early on. So, of course he is 'sensitive' to criticism. In the case of my BIL, he's a successful grown adult and doesn't need or want a 2nd mom questioning everything he does. Without having seen both sides of the story, it's best to stick to the specific topic at hand.

I am not saying that this is the case for the OP - could be someone else in the SIL's life. But I am saying to at least keep an open mind before we assume the OP's SIL is an 'insecure flower'. More often than not, that defensiveness is bred from someone (maybe not the OP) actually being critical/overly critical, which develops said reaction.

OP I would recommend simply asking the SIL straight-up without gathering some unintentional meaning online that very likely has zero correlation to why the OP got the tattoo to begin with. I have several tattoos and most of mine don't have any real meaning. Only the SIL knows. If you ask the question truly from a point of curiosity and avoiding any passive aggressive or sarcastic tone (note: I am not implying that you are, just a reminder), you might be surprised that the SIL is OK explaining. I don't recommend asking stranger's this, but a family member is different.

I would refer back to hertfordshire's recommendation. Something very simple, straightforward, and non-judgmental.

Last edited by Sunbather; 03-13-2023 at 06:49 PM..

Old 03-13-2023, 07:37 PM

1,063 posts, read 876,017 times
"Does it have any meanings, other than purely decorative self- expression?"
yes.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:54 AM

23,884 posts, read 32,174,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I did some Googling.....In prison, a lightning bolt tattoo means he's a white supremacist!
It also means that outside of prison.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:58 AM

15,966 posts, read 20,935,892 times
Why don't you just ask your daughter? I would assume that he's had that conversation with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty