Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times

Advertisements

I've always worn cotton or linen in the summer, natural fabrics breathe and you feel cooler in them...once or twice I've made the mistake of wearing polyester in warm weather, and felt like I've been wrapped in Saran wrap.

I've been looking at some activewear type clothes in catalogs--Title Nine and Athleta. Just as I'll be thinking 'that's cute I'm gonna get it', I notice that the fabric is nylon or polyester. The catalogs make claims about 'moisture management' or 'wicking', but I've got my doubts.

Has anyone tried this sort of clothing in the warm weather? It's hot and humid where I live and I like to be outdoors, don't want to be dripping with sweat because I'm wearing the wrong fabric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:50 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Cotton, linen or gauze is great in summer.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Wicking fabrics really do work, despite their synthetic nature. If I'm going to be sweating up a storm, I'd prefer to do it in a fabric that wicks the sweat away from my skin instead of in cotton that stays soggy for hours.

I prefer woven wicking fabrics over knit -- they feel cooler.

Title Nine especially has some stuff that's a mixture of wicking fabric and cotton. You might want to try that.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:29 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
If you're going to some outdoor affair, where the heat and humidity will be a factor, then "moisture wicking" material will really benefit you! You're clothes won't be wet with sweat and stains and you will look fresher, even if you're about to faint from the heat!!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Well, when I walk a distance, or am out shovelling snow, the cotton socks do get clingy and damp while the synthetics tend to stay drier.

But, the above poster is probably correct, that the effect is from both the fabric and the proper weave. Nylon sort of puts me off, though.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM

I guess all these moisture-wicking fabrics are new, and I still have old fashioned notions about synthetics. Maybe I'll try this skirt: Athleta

It's just what I want, except that it's nylon/spandex. Now if it were cotton, I wouldn't hesitate.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I guess all these moisture-wicking fabrics are new, and I still have old fashioned notions about synthetics. Maybe I'll try this skirt: Athleta

It's just what I want, except that it's nylon/spandex. Now if it were cotton, I wouldn't hesitate.
I am not sure, but I think it is not moisture-wicking unless it says so. I think the weave contributes something, as well. I think natural fibers kind of mat together when moist, but synthetics bounce back and leave air space in between the fibers. This has something to do with the wicking. I did not read much about the skirt, but if it does not say 'wicking' maybe it doesn't.
If there is nothing in writing about a feature, I would assume it does not apply. They are not liable for 'implications' and just because they are sold by some sports store is not convincing for me.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am not sure, but I think it is not moisture-wicking unless it says so. I think the weave contributes something, as well. I think natural fibers kind of mat together when moist, but synthetics bounce back and leave air space in between the fibers. This has something to do with the wicking. I did not read much about the skirt, but if it does not say 'wicking' maybe it doesn't.
If there is nothing in writing about a feature, I would assume it does not apply. They are not liable for 'implications' and just because they are sold by some sports store is not convincing for me.
Yeah, you're probably right. Suitable for wearing inside an air-conditioned building, wretched and sweaty outside. You have to wonder why they'd make a nice, casual skirt like that out of nylon instead of cotton, which would be the obvious choice, IMO.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Yeah, you're probably right. Suitable for wearing inside an air-conditioned building, wretched and sweaty outside. You have to wonder why they'd make a nice, casual skirt like that out of nylon instead of cotton, which would be the obvious choice, IMO.
Because they will look good and not wrinkle and some people have never learned much about fabric.

We(husband and I) are thinking (dreaming/hoping) about a world cruise to start our retirement. Now, some cruise lines have mandatory formal evenings: tux and gown things. Then, semi-formal is black suit(white jacket in summer) and cocktail dress.

So, I am looking at these dresses that I have never worn, but heck, I'm game. Silk abounds. Dry clean. Wrinkles. Even if you dry clean silk, the body of the fabric will leave eventually because silk is often treated with a body-enhancing substance that cleaning removes, so the body leaves. Actually, gently dipping in mild soapy water and then cold water after each use may preserve the fabric longer. Who wants to do that to a long gown?

Even the gowns that are poly and spandex and jersey often say 'dry clean only'.

How does a person pack this stuff without damaging it?

I have read that most people on world cruises are 60 or 70. Do those women actually wear all those above the knee, low cleavage cocktail dresses? With high heels? On moving ships?

And how about rayon? Ironed, it looks lovely and seems to take dyes really well, but buy it and it's hot and wrinkles and all day you may look disheveled.

Linen wrinkles badly, too, but at least is not that hot.

I think they like to sell things that have visual appeal on the hanger and not things that wear well or are comfortable.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:22 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
I'm not going to get all scientific (as if I could)..

I live in South texas.. I am very hot natured, and I won't TOUCH synthetics from May to October.

Rayon, cotton, or linen only for me (is rayon synthetic??? i dunno, but it is "cool" for me)....

Oh and silk is hot too IMO. I have a friend who disagrees entirely and wears poly dresses in August... don't know how she stands it. I think it's a YMMV thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty