Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times

Advertisements

yep, I'm a Rockabilly Girl. The style is simple-retro glamor. Pretty much anything that bespeaks the forties or early fifties goes. We love our makeup, especially at night when the false eyelashes come out. We love to cuff our jeans with heels, belt our fitted tops, and don our flirty sundresses or pencil skirts for a night out. Hair is always layered , sometimes with betty-page style bangs,and curled either in a heated or cold set...pin curls are a plus. We love Victory Rolls, modest Esther Willliams style swimwear, and we protect our skin with a parasol. Many of us are heavily tattooed though some of us prefer the 'pristine' skin of yore. This look takes time, there's no doubt, but I think it is the most flattering style on the female form and women of all sizes look beautiful in it. Several online stores cater to the retro-lady. Daddyos.com, Mybabyjo.com, and Pinupgirlclothing.com to name a few.

Most people don't even know this subculture exists. Are there any more of you out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 12:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Do you consider Varga girls part of your influence?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times
I'm not, but one of my bff's is. She really rocks the look!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Do you consider Varga girls part of your influence?
Absolutely. I adore pinup art and the hairstyles of the period are so lovingly captured there. My favorite pinup artist is Edward Runci but Vargas, Gil Elvgren, and Peter Dribben are other favorites.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I'm not, but one of my bff's is. She really rocks the look!
Cool! Does she have one icon of the time that she bases her look on? There are quite a few modern pinup girls that really impress. Most people don't know about them but they have quite a following.

Sabina is probably the most successful of the bunch:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee185/czechomommy/sabinakelly.jpg (broken link)

Then there is Dayna Deluxe:
http://images.hotrod.com/whereitbega...luxe+cover.jpg

Heidi Van Horne:

http://www.orato.com/files/imagecache/storyimage/files/olorato/story/2424/1-Mehosh%20ice%20cream.jpg (broken link)

and plus size pinup gal, Kate Donovan:

http://www.flex-esystems.co.uk/image...estimonial.jpg

Old 06-03-2008, 02:10 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times
I'm not sure, but I will ask. Would Garcia on Criminal Minds be considered Rockabilly?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Not sure. I've never seen that show.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Most people don't even know this subculture exists. Are there any more of you out there?
I'm not, but I am well aware of the subculture. My heart-sister's son is totally Rockabilly and has been for years! Among his acquaintances are Asia DeVinyl and Cherry Lane.

I do happen to own a dress I'll bet you'd just LOVE to borrow. A 1958 original that belonged to my Mother...

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 09-17-2008 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM

6 posts, read 37,018 times
this is so hot. i am on daddy-o's and am tempted to order every dress on there.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 PM

172 posts, read 769,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
yep, I'm a Rockabilly Girl. The style is simple-retro glamor. Pretty much anything that bespeaks the forties or early fifties goes. We love our makeup, especially at night when the false eyelashes come out. We love to cuff our jeans with heels, belt our fitted tops, and don our flirty sundresses or pencil skirts for a night out. Hair is always layered , sometimes with betty-page style bangs,and curled either in a heated or cold set...pin curls are a plus. We love Victory Rolls, modest Esther Willliams style swimwear, and we protect our skin with a parasol. Many of us are heavily tattooed though some of us prefer the 'pristine' skin of yore. This look takes time, there's no doubt, but I think it is the most flattering style on the female form and women of all sizes look beautiful in it. Several online stores cater to the retro-lady. Daddyos.com, Mybabyjo.com, and Pinupgirlclothing.com to name a few.

I ABSOLUTELY love this style and thank you for the links. It is a very good look on most women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty