U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:11 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,644,041 times

Advertisements

I purchased a few wigs, but have not yet worn them.
They are from a local shop and synthetic. I like them.

They are near my hair color and are good if I must go
somewhere and my hair goofs.

What I don't like is all the different chemical preparations
used to shampoo synthetics, not to strip the shine from
them, which they say ultimately happens.
These wigs are permanently curled.
You are also not supposed to be near a heat source,
like opening an oven, or you ruin the 'hair'.

So, I was thinking it might be nice to get a real hair
wig, a straightish cut. Could I just shampoo it and
condition and blow dry, like I do my own hair?
Could I use the same shampoos and things that I
now have?

Has anyone ordered through the net? I tried
two from different websites, and sent them back.
They are forever sending catalogs to me.
The place where I bought mine from says they
are unfinished wigs, just kind of curled and cut
into an approximate shape, but require additional
trimming and thinning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 02:35 PM

8,322 posts, read 12,935,659 times
I've got about a billion wigs, more or less. As a frequent costume-wearer, many of my wigs are specially styled for various costumes that I have done.

I love wigs because you can try out styles/cuts/colors and such without worry about semi-permanent results. They're also great for a night out on the town - I've got several that are for that purpose alone.

Myself, I order online only from Cosworx - but these are more costume wigs vice everyday wigs.

If I want a wig to wear everyday, then I'll go to one of the local wigs shops.

If you don't like the super-care required for synthetic wigs, I would recommend (the more expensive) real human hair wigs. These things can be easily cut, colored, washed, and stored! I will concede that they are considerably more expensive than synthetic, but are much better in my opinion. Yes, you can use your normal shampoo, conditioner, and styling products on these!

Old 06-09-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I've got about a billion wigs, more or less. As a frequent costume-wearer, many of my wigs are specially styled for various costumes that I have done.

I love wigs because you can try out styles/cuts/colors and such without worry about semi-permanent results. They're also great for a night out on the town - I've got several that are for that purpose alone.

Myself, I order online only from Cosworx - but these are more costume wigs vice everyday wigs.

If I want a wig to wear everyday, then I'll go to one of the local wigs shops.

If you don't like the super-care required for synthetic wigs, I would recommend (the more expensive) real human hair wigs. These things can be easily cut, colored, washed, and stored! I will concede that they are considerably more expensive than synthetic, but are much better in my opinion. Yes, you can use your normal shampoo, conditioner, and styling products on these!

Yup. I also am not too fond of bangs and the area where the wig meets the hariline is often hidden by bangs. Thanks. I guess I will save up and go to a local shop again.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 PM

To hide that you're wearing a wig, a lot of time even bangs that go off to the side (see my profile picture for an example) can hide the look while looking pretty decent. A little bit of freeze spray will keep them out of your face, too. ((Note: the picture isn't a wig, just mentioning the style))

Another thing with really decent wigs is that they have a clear gel-like area in the front (and the part) that makes it look like the hair is coming from your scalp.

And speaking of ordering, I just received my blonde version of this one in the mail and looks really great for the costume that I'm planning.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:38 PM

I just grabbed one of my wigs that has the gel thing I spoke of. It's a little zoomed in to show detail.... The little green dot is the safety pin that holds the wig onto the head.
Attached Thumbnails
Wigs????-100_0503.jpg  

Old 06-09-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
To hide that you're wearing a wig, a lot of time even bangs that go off to the side (see my profile picture for an example) can hide the look while looking pretty decent. A little bit of freeze spray will keep them out of your face, too. ((Note: the picture isn't a wig, just mentioning the style))

Another thing with really decent wigs is that they have a clear gel-like area in the front (and the part) that makes it look like the hair is coming from your scalp.

And speaking of ordering, I just received my blonde version of this one in the mail and looks really great for the costume that I'm planning.
Oh, you would not believe that I like that one, too. I think I am too old for it, but it is so cute. When you get it out of the box, does it look just like that? That was my problem with the catalogue wigs.

And if you don't mind, what is freeze spray? I know they take a special shampoo, but not much else, and I think Johnson Baby Shampoo might do as well.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I just grabbed one of my wigs that has the gel thing I spoke of. It's a little zoomed in to show detail.... The little green dot is the safety pin that holds the wig onto the head.
Yes, it looks like scalp, alright.
I really do like that wig.
Hope you have lots of fun with it.
I would ask if you act, but don't want to get too nosey.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, it looks like scalp, alright.
I really do like that wig.
Hope you have lots of fun with it.
I would ask if you act, but don't want to get too nosey.
I do what's called Cosplaying. It's more or less dress-up and acting on stage for no real purpose other than having fun. Wigs are pretty much essential as many characters don't have "normal" hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Oh, you would not believe that I like that one, too. I think I am too old for it, but it is so cute. When you get it out of the box, does it look just like that? That was my problem with the catalogue wigs.

And if you don't mind, what is freeze spray? I know they take a special shampoo, but not much else, and I think Johnson Baby Shampoo might do as well.
Yes, when I pulled it out of the packaging, it looked just like that. I've already styled it for the character portrayal... but here it is. ((don't mind the ugly face drawing on the head, it was done like 6 or 7 years ago))

Freeze Spray is a product by Got2b that essentially does as it's name says - it freezes hair into place. I use it for every wig to maintain the style. For washing them, I frequently use Infant-friendly shampoos and conditioners because they're not too harsh. A friend of mine uses Herbal Essences on hers.
Attached Thumbnails
Wigs????-100_0513.jpg  

Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 PM

Cosplaying must really keep you mentally alert, thinking on your feet.
I really like the wig.
Most wigs look 'wiggy' because they have way too much hair.
I had them thin mine before I took them.
Yours looks more natural, but for the charming color.

Do you have a feeling for their more natural colors? I am thinking a light brown or dark blonde - but the grey looks nice. I only have a few streaks, but I would consider it.

Did you get one in your natural color? They are very reasonable.

Thank you so much for spending this time, Kuharai. You are vefy kind.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:34 PM

It's no problem. Wigs are a big hobby of mine. And yes, I have wigs in all colors and plenty in "normal colors". When it comes to them looking too "wiggy", a little bit of sheering goes a long way to trim down the excess hair and make it more natural. If a wig just doesn't look right, it's really easy to just pin it onto a wig head and style them in any way you want.

If you were to get a real human hair wig, you could color it as many times as you wanted until you thought it was perfect.... There are dyes for synthetic wigs, but I've never been too keen on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty