U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:24 PM

574 posts, read 1,801,231 times

Advertisements

I am in my 40s and beginning to notice some fine lines around my eyes (paying for sun exposure I guess). Can anyone suggest something that works well which can be purchased OTC? I have oily skin and tend to be breakout prone so I cannot use products which contain oil. I cannot do Botox or anything like that because we just can't afford that, unless of course insurance starts to cover it and I know that ain't gonna happen!

Thanks!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 07:37 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,266,504 times
I just started using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle cream with SPF 15.
I heard about it on a show recently (The Today Show or the view), went out and bought it, and it works. I have oily skin in the t-zone and dry in the other areas. And so far its stopped me from breaking out like I was doing with both Clinique creams/gels. This product has a retinol in it, which I think is what is doing most of the work. Plus it has a sunscreen in it. I have noticed the fine lines have gotten better.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:19 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,107,171 times
About the best thing you can buy in the drugstore is Oil of Olay's Regenerist line. It even beat out the expensive stuff in a clinical study. You can do a search online. It's recommended alot~ I started using the night cream. Yes, after spending $$$ on 'upscale brands' I can honestly say I get the same or even better results with Olay.

Additional things you should look for that will treat fine lines- products with retinol, glycolic acid or peptides. I alternate my Oil of Olay with a stronger Retinol cream a couple nights a week. I also use DDF's glycolic toner nightly. I also do home microdermabrasion 2x month. It sounds like alot but it's really not bad. I enjoy doing it all.

Been doing this for the past 3-4 years. I'll be 35 in 2 weeks & as of yet, I've never been guessed older than 28. Keeping fingers crossed

Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 PM

574 posts, read 1,801,231 times
Thanks you all for your great advice! I do already use the Oil of Olay product which was mentioned, so now I feel good about continuing with that.

Nancy

Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,871,109 times
Genie, from QVC, is a remarkable product! QVC.com has it, or you can catch it on the air sometimes.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:09 AM

602 posts, read 1,734,884 times
I use ROC Retinol cream, and alternate it with a toner containing salicylic acid, which is reputed to clean out pores and speed cell turnover. I use the Retinol all over my eye area, which you're probably not supposed to do, but it WORKS--especially if I use a bit of vitamin E oil and aloe on top of it, to minimize irritation and "seal" it in. My skin has cleared up, looks much younger, has better tone, can do my taxes all by itself and answer the phone, communicate telepathically with corn, you name it.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:51 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,205,335 times
Hey! Skinceuticals line is amazing. I get mine at a cosmetic surgeons office. It is expensive but it lasts a very long time.

Whatever you get, you should look for a product that has hylauronic acid in it. This is the main ingredient in Restalyne.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:45 PM

114 posts, read 303,528 times
Janson Beckett's AlphaDerm CE

Old 06-19-2008, 05:56 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,107,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Hey! Skinceuticals line is amazing.
I also highly recommend Skinceuticals. I use the 1% retinol night cream & CE Ferulic as well. You can order Skinceuticals online. BioElements is another excellent line. I didn't mention those because the OP asked for OTC products but I can't help but plug the others that work really well too even if they are a bit more expensive. I've tried many & those are my favorites- plus the Oil of Olay mentioned before.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,139,966 times
St. Ives Eye Stress Gel - good for all over your face. Instant results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty