U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,029,574 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has any good suggestions out there. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:24 PM

602 posts, read 1,735,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Wondering if anyone has any good suggestions out there. Thanks.
Hmm. I'd like to know, too. Every one I've ever tried either does the orange thing, or makes me smell like day-old bread, or is so greasy that if I fell down I'd slide for a week. FEH.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:51 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,914,691 times
For someone pale like myself, I like Hawaiian Tropic's Island Glow daily moistuizer. Very, very subtle even in the medium skin tones. One of the things I also like about it is I don't the smell of it is objectionable like some.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:16 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,107,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
Hmm. I'd like to know, too. Every one I've ever tried either does the orange thing, or makes me smell like day-old bread, or is so greasy that if I fell down I'd slide for a week. FEH.
I've found one! I actually stopped using sunless tanner because the smell made me gag & I'm so fair/pink skinned, they all looked orange on me. I went onto drugstore.com a couple weeks ago & read the reviews on self tanners. One that had raves was Aveeno Daily Radiance(I didn't even know they made a sunless tanner!) I got it in the 'Fair Skin' formulation but I think they had it in for 'Medium Skin' as well. It's one of those very gradual tanners. I use it after I get out of the bath at night. It's lightweight, sinks right in & doesn't have that awful smell. After 2 uses, I could tell, after 3 my legs look lightly tanned.

I've found my holy grail self tanner!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:00 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
I think the Jergens works well! In the summer, I get a real tan, but in the winter, it does give you color, without that orange tint. The downside is the fragrance--I don't like any of my lotions to have any smell at all. But, I've gotten used to it, and after a few applications, it really does look natural, even around ankles and wrists! Here's a hint--it tells you to wash your hands after applying, but then you end up with white hands!!!! No good! Use a "wet-wipe" to wipe off the palms of your hands after applying--that way, the "tan" doesn't stop at your wrists! Your palms won't get brown, but the tops of your hands will blend with your arms!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:11 PM

602 posts, read 1,735,067 times
I am whiter than a fish belly, and do NOT tan; I combust. Add to that the fact that I hate heat and sweating and greasy lotions and humidity, live in the hottest, most humid climate imaginable, and self-tanners really have to be something to impress me. I'm going to check out the Aveeno one mentioned.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 PM

218 posts, read 995,211 times
My favorite is Sun Lab Ultra Dark Foam. It dries quickly and it is tinted so you can see what you're doing. It does have a faint smell but it's the only self tanner I've used that does not streak on me. I'm a brunette but I burn and don't tan so I have avoided the sun for years. This product gives me a real looking tan, especially on my milky white legs with one application.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,107,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegirl View Post
I've found one! I actually stopped using sunless tanner because the smell made me gag & I'm so fair/pink skinned, they all looked orange on me. I went onto drugstore.com a couple weeks ago & read the reviews on self tanners. One that had raves was Aveeno Daily Radiance(I didn't even know they made a sunless tanner!) I got it in the 'Fair Skin' formulation but I think they had it in for 'Medium Skin' as well. It's one of those very gradual tanners. I use it after I get out of the bath at night. It's lightweight, sinks right in & doesn't have that awful smell. After 2 uses, I could tell, after 3 my legs look lightly tanned.

I've found my holy grail self tanner!
Correction: It's Continuous Radiance~ sorry

Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,961,295 times
Default Fyi

there is already a thread with lots of information about self-tanners. Scroll through and you guys will see it.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:07 PM

631 posts, read 1,666,724 times
I am very fair skinned and had horrible luck with self tanners until I tried Bath & Body Works self tanning lotion. Its INCREDIBLE!!! I don't look like a streaky orange plus it smell great. Well the Cherry Blossom one smells great, I haven't tried the others. You don't get that icky smell when it starts to develop. Well worth the $$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty