U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:27 PM

2,972 posts, read 7,338,713 times

Advertisements

begin rant....

I was at an event, it was to be an event of importance and attendees dressed like they were at a going to spend the day in their garage.

Ladies were dressed in cut-offs & tank tops. No offense to over-weight women.... but going braless in a tank top that is much too small is not very flattering anywhere (sorry for being honestly brunt). Men, torn up jeans with grease spots and (one) with an old rock concert t-shirt.

Hadn't anyone gotten the memo about Zubas???

While I can understand some people aren't "fashionly-inclined" but the most sloppiest of the evening was the DJ hired to play background music. His dress shirt was wrinkled and not tucked in, he wore no tie, and hiking shorts (the kind with the pockets on the sides down at the knees), sock & sneakers. How many calls do you think he'll get to DJ a wedding?

I refuse to pay top dollar for jeans for my boys that are designed to look like they are 10 years worn and handed down from multiple users. When will the "dressed for success" trend return, this sloppy look is totally play-out already.

end rant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,314,290 times
I'm curious. What kind of event was it?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,798,692 times
There is no end to it because it capitalizes on the laziness aspect of many people.

thats why so many women wear sandlas now days because it is too much of a hassle to actually put on real shoes. Unless you are tlaking sport shoes where they can just slip them on witht he laces still tied and think they look good for any occasion.

The poeple here in E.TN. are by far the worst. "Hey, I do not want to see your fat stomach hand out the bottom of your shirt" or "I do not want to see your fat, cellulite legs hanging out of your mini-skirt"

And I ma wondering about the breast thing, yes, I understand you are a woman and have breast, but please stop acting like you are the only woman with breast. Also, having your breast hang out of your shirt is not going to distract the fact you have 3 chins and a stomach that hangs down to your knees and weigh 300lbs.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I'm curious. What kind of event was it?
Graduation.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 PM

617 posts, read 1,866,716 times
A graduation ceremony or a graduation party? High school or college? High school graduation parties are usually casual. In fact, most that I've attended were held outdoors.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 PM

A graduation ceremony. Elementary school, but a ceremony all the same, not a backyard party, not a day at the County Fair..... not a day of coming out of a garage just going to the store.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,618,878 times
You'd think for a "special occasion" people could make a little effort, eh? And I agree with you, I'm not a big fan of the shabby look either. I find it especially silly to pay good money to look bad. Haircuts designed to make you look like you don't own a comb... clothes bought with the holes and fading already in...

Makes you almost want the preppy look to make a comeback... almost... .

Old 06-25-2008, 10:09 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
sloppy will go away when they cann't get money.
hunger does that to a guy. yep. straighten up and fly right (sing it).
ditto on k350, let it all hang out is ugly.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:36 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
A graduation ceremony. Elementary school, but a ceremony all the same, not a backyard party, not a day at the County Fair..... not a day of coming out of a garage just going to the store.
I would have never guessed that's what you were talking about.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 AM

10,148 posts, read 18,127,033 times
I hate it when I go to a nice restaurant like Gibsons in Chicago and people are wearing jeans and shirtsleeves.

I worked all my life in jeans, Carhartts and Redwings and I like to wear an Italian sportscoat, wool slacks and Allen-Edmunds shoes.

Then you have the jerks who wear those goddam ballcaps inside, even in restaurants. I'm put in mind of Vlad the Impaler who when faced with Turkish envoys who refused to remove their hats had the hats nailed to their heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or