Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
More opinionated comments from Ria, but put me on your ignore list if the truth upsets your cloud of conformity:

I have family that was in the footware business for a long time. Getting fitted properly into quality footware is key to comfort and value (a good fitting pair of quality shoes is much better than ten pairs of cheap shoes). My Josef Seibel clogs are going strong after fifteen (15) years of super comfort (I've used them on my walks from California to NYC to Spain and England). ECCO used to have s-o-m-e quality, comfy shoes. ECCO's shoes made in Denmark (good luck finding these anymore) rule (I have a pair of their "Tracks" that were made in Denmark - unbelievable quality and comfort). Btw, Gucci and Ferragamo's are very overpriced/overrated by and large IMO. Designer Kenneth Cole once upon a time had an Italian footware manufacturer who turned out superior shoes - no more. There are still small cooblers in the states and Europe who'll custom make you a fine pair of shoes. We live in a toss away age of cheap consumer goods, but don't follow that pattern when it comes to your feet. In this day and age most footware is garbage with a capital "G". When the fedora and quality footware became all but extinct in America, replaced by pot bellies hanging out of t-shirts/casual sport shirts and footware dominated by sneakers, the age of sloth began..and it continues on unabated to this very day. No surprise how often the appearance of sloth matches the verbal output of the wearers of sloth wear. p.s. talk to most Podiatrists - flip flops are bad for many peoples feet, ankles, and back. Good day.

Just curious as to why the question made you so angry. It was just a question about footwear...relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 12:07 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
clarks are really comfortable. I had a heel problem back a few years ago, and have to have shoes with a substantial sole..that leaves out flip/flops etc. clarks really suit me well. wore them to a convention in Las Vegas where we had to walk for miles, no problems. they are a little pricey if you can't find an outlet store, but they are worth it.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The only Munros I have are some winter shoes. They are very nice looking and relatively comfortable, but I find the foot bed really hard. Ticks me off because they have a lot of cute shoes!
I know what you mean--the quality within a shoe brand itself is not always uniform. I have three pairs of Munros but the only ones I travel with are the sandals I described, because they do have a thick, supportive, cushion-y sole. Sometimes it can be so depressing when you want cute shoes but can't find anything that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Where would CD be without opinionated posters??
I happen to have really pretty feet, and they look great in flip flops. No back, ankle, knee or feet problems...and I'm in my 40s. I'm lucky to live in a climate where I can wear flipflops and sandals, and I do. One thing I DON'T wear are tight fitting, pointy high heels. Never. THAT will kill your feet.

I guess it depends on the person.
I think it does depend on the person...I have hideous feet.
I never wore tight pointy high heels (I came of age in the 70's, no Manolos for me) but still managed to develop bunions.
It's genetic. Both my mom and her twin had them.
I never go barefoot anymore but in summer I still occasionally wear flipflops (hopefully people avert their eyes). I do think the really thin ones are bad for anyone's soles and will endeavor to find something more supportive, with a heel strap. No doubt it will cost me a pretty penny, but that's how it is with the good stuff.
Clark's can be good for me if they run wide. Regular Clark's are too narrow.
I've been looking at Drew Shoes, which supposedly cater to problem feet, but many of them look like what you'd find in a nursing home.
There are a few cute ones, though.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:36 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I've come to the point in my life (just recently, lol) that I decided I don't care if people think I have ugly feet (and I do - long, skinny toes, lol) and I have developed a slight bunion on my right foot but I refuse to do the surgery thing yet - I'm at the stage where I find sandals that feel good, fine, I'll get them, people w/have to deal w/the toes (they are polished) - and I've tried to find wide width shoes (the other foot I put an insole in).

I can't wear some of my old shoes at this point, Clark's I like (they actually make a wide width) - I've found that if I go up 1/2 or 1 size larger it avoids my bunion (have to watch the cut).

At some point in your life (and I'm not old!) you have to say: heck w/it - I'm going for comfort over fashion (and I NEVER thought that horrid pointy toe shoes were fashionable)

Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,318 times
I have a couple of pair of Rieker sandals and it's like walking on air. It's the Rieker Antistress line and I love them. They're made in Europe and I ordered online from Zappo's. Very, very comfortable and cute.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 AM

261 posts, read 780,640 times
I live in Merrells, i have a selection of walking shoes, tennis shoes and sandals and they are all great! They have proper arch supports even on their sandals I spend about 10 hours a day on solid concrete floors at work and havent found any other brand of shoe that looks after my feet as well.

Jan

Old 07-02-2008, 12:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I have Merrell's and Rieker's too. And Mephisto (only one pair.)
And Dankso's, and Naot, and Ecco, Earthshoe...but my search is eternal.
I don't buy them nearly as often now as I used to, but I am always on the prowl, and if I find something exceptionally comfortable, I'll make a purchase.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 PM

324 posts, read 883,600 times
I'm not sure that I've ever owned a really comfortable pair of shoes other than my sneakers or flip flops. There is an article in the new June/July issue of More Magazine about finding comfy shoes and they actually found some really cute ones! I found the article on their website here (http://www.more.com/style/fashion/fashion-grown-ups/comfortable-summer-shoes/ - broken link).

Old 07-02-2008, 12:37 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
The most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever had was a pair of Hush Puppies saddle shoes with crepe rubber soles. I bought them for $2.99 at a Big Lots-type store, and wore them for many years, until there was no sole left and the stitching was starting to pop.

That was in 1976. I've never forgotten those shoes.

I realize that doesn't help anyone now, but ... Oh well! Right now I'm wearing a pair of Mary Janes from Lands End that are pretty comfy.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
My Coach heels are soooo comfortable! I absolutely love them! I can work in them all day and wear them out to dinner and they never start hurting......plus they are adorable as well!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty