U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:42 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,429,292 times
I always make an effort to look presentable, even if just running to the store or post office. For me, practicality must weigh in the equation. I absolutely love linen, but it wrinkles before I even leave the house. And high heels look great, but make me grumpy after standing in them for more than an hour. Rayon may be a sin in the fashion world, but I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 12:39 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,965,861 times
Outside of London (and really it is equivilant to NY), I don't think the people in the UK are any more fashionable overall than in the US. I can't speak for any other countries but my gut feeling is that it is pretty much the same, outside of the big cities. My whole entire family is British. My dad, my brother, and my sister and me of course are the only ones in the US and everyone else is in Europe. That being the case I get to spend quite a bit of time in England and little vacations in the rest of Europe. Beyond three cousins that live in London, everyone is pretty much like we are here in smaller town USA. Now I just had a french student stay with me for two months and one of the first thing she noticed was all the women that were running to the malls in their gym clothes. She lives right smack in the middle of Paris though. The malls we went to were in Charlotte, NC. Somehow I doubt that anyone other than tourists go shopping in their gym clothes in NYCity either.

I guarantee that for the most part I will fit right in, in England. Now my weekend in London, I am a little concerned about because I don't have clothes that are quite as hip as they could be! Would a sexy, dressy top paired with good jeans be appropriate for a night out in London or do I need to find a trendy dress. Speaking of which, not to hijack the thread but are the trendy clothes in London the same as the trendy clothes as in the US??? Like are the dresses on Nordtrom.com pretty much appropriate? I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb!

Jenn

Old 06-29-2008, 03:37 PM

8,424 posts, read 22,857,539 times
It really depends on where you live. There is NOTHING but stuff that was popular 10 years ago in shops where I am at currently (pittsburgh) . I found a better selection in NYC and Los Angeles. Every city seems to have its own look. Its pretty neat in a way. Small towns and working class only cities lack selection in shops. I would be guessing for the whole logical reasons that the customer just wants function and doesnt have the money or the time to fuss with fashion.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:43 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,965,861 times
I don't know, I would imagine that if you can find some hip clothes in Charlotte, NC that you could find hip clothes just about anywhere!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 AM

7,691 posts, read 8,590,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Beauty (and fashion) is in the eye of the beholder.
That's very true. I see nothing wrong with 100 women having 110 different fashion styles. We're all unique in our own way, so many of us (even obese ones) want to express ourselves to the world with our clothing, hair, makeup, etc.

The freedom to express one's self is great, isn't it?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,899,681 times
We care more about being comfortable rather than looking fashionable.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 AM

2,588 posts, read 3,490,331 times
I don't think following trends and looking nice necessarily go hand in hand. There are some classic looks that transcend the decades and some styles that certain body shapes can or cannot wear. Americans just don't usually understand what those are. I'm not sure that people here completely disregard fashion, rather I think they don't know how to look fashionable while being comfortable. So, they give up and make excuses. And, being comfortable is important. I don't know where you are, but the Pacific Northwest is probably the worst. I haven't been to Alaska yet, so someone chime in if they're worse. If so, it's probably because they don't want to be mosquito- and frost-bitten.

Oh, a comment on trends. We've all seen ridiculous trends come and, thankfully, go - to be replaced by new, ridiculous ones. But, the youth need ridiculous trends or they won't have enough funny pictures to show their grandchildren.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 AM

3,994 posts, read 7,479,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
I don't think following trends and looking nice necessarily go hand in hand. There are some classic looks that transcend the decades and some styles that certain body shapes can or cannot wear. Americans just don't usually understand what those are. I'm not sure that people here completely disregard fashion, rather I think they don't know how to look fashionable while being comfortable. So, they give up and make excuses. And, being comfortable is important. I don't know where you are, but the Pacific Northwest is probably the worst. I haven't been to Alaska yet, so someone chime in if they're worse. If so, it's probably because they don't want to be mosquito- and frost-bitten.
As one of those unfashionable Northwesterners - I don't care in the slightest about looking fashionable or hip. I don't dress to be "seen," I dress to please myself. There have been entire years where I've looked at catalogs or gone into a store and thought "hate this season's colors and styles" and not bought a thing. As far as that goes, I haven't been into a mall in about 2 years because I dislike the poor quality clothing and regimented styles.

My wardrobe has been cut back since I "retired." I dress in clean, neat, simple clothing (camp shirts, t-shirts, sweaters and jeans, capris, shorts, broomstick-style skirts). For dressier occasions, I have a pair of black slacks and 2 dresses, and that's it. I spend a lot of time outdoors, and dress appropriately. So when I come into the grocery store in pants, hiking boots and a t-shirt - well, I've probably been out hiking.

We're not slobs, we just don't care what our "fashionable" sisters from elsewhere think.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,209,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Why are Americans unfashionable compared to most European countries and Asian countries? Even in Turkey, most people follow the trends.

When I lived in the UK, everyone, including people up into their 50's followed a common type of trend. Most people looked pleasant and in style.

My opinion: We have an attitude where we think we are too good to care what others think... which is good in some ways, however I think it's also important to follow trends or at least look presentable.

The soccer mom style has torn American fashion apart... European mothers all follow the style and you see them wearing high heels on cobblestone streets while pushing their child's stroller. Yeah, that's going a little too far, but I'm sure you smell what I'm stepping in right lol?

Also, we are one of the fattest countries in the world... and well, most obese people don't follow the trends as they don't cater to their weight... And honestly, when you're obese, you probably aren't so good looking.

When I lived in the UK, I asked people who have visited the US what was some cultural shocks they found. The main one I heard was some of the extremely obese people (they've never even seen a 300 pound person) and how so many people don't follow the fashion and look sloppy. You know... the running sneakers, husky stretchable shorts, and t-shirt.
I hear about this almost daily from my wife who is European. I think partly it depends on where you live. Here in LA I see 40 and 50 year old women who are in great shape drinking their lattes before going to Pilates while wearing their awesome Bebe workout gear. I dont think you'll see this in Pittsburgh.

The "soccer mom" mentality is definately ruining it for many. Fat flabby arms, fat bellys and "Momma jeans" are definitely not attractive. I think many (Non LA) moms just let themselves go when they have kids and this is counter to the European mindset. Everything is my baby my baby then they get fatter and their husbands leave them and when their children move out, they become mean old lonely cat ladies. This seems to be a middle America trend.

Sometimes I get tired of trying to explain to my wife because she really get disgusted at how American women just let themselves go.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:04 AM

24,250 posts, read 28,566,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Beauty (and fashion) is in the eye of the beholder.
Can't stress this enough. One person's fashion is another's faux pas.

I'm more likely to be appalled by people who can't spell or speak their native language correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty