Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

Lol at the post regarding americans and their vehicles, I have seen disgusting slobs stepping out of a way oversized yellow Hummer,and believe me....it ain't a pretty sight....

Give me a man in Europe in Armani anyday, who is cultured and fit, rather than a redneck who blows a year salary on a gas guzzling atrocity.The only reason southerners have bigger yards I because land is CHEAP; there is too much of it, as compared to London or Paris or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 05:23 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Lol at the post regarding americans and their vehicles, I have seen disgusting slobs stepping out of a way oversized yellow Hummer,and believe me....it ain't a pretty sight....

Give me a man in Europe in Armani anyday, who is cultured and fit, rather than a redneck who blows a year salary on a gas guzzling atrocity.The only reason southerners have bigger yards I because land is CHEAP; there is too much of it, as compared to London or Paris or NYC.
I'd take a redneck with money over a little snooty well dressed European with his little flat and garden. Wait, I'm a man.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:36 PM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
Why are Americans unfashionable compared to most European countries and Asian countries?
Because we are self confident enough not to give a $%@# what a bunch of shallow, self-important Europeans think. Personally, I stopped worrying about what other people think around the end of high school. Time to grow up folks.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:06 PM

247 posts, read 379,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I'd take a redneck with money over a little snooty well dressed European with his little flat and garden. Wait, I'm a man.
LMAO! I'm sorry, but that was just way too funny.

To the poster that asked about A line skirts -- you can still get them through Chadwicks catalog. My wife orders them all the time.

She's a dentist, and always wears A line skirts (usually gray, light gray, navy blue, black, or deep red) with a nice long sleeve blouse and a blazer. She usually wears nice looking flats or shoes with a slight pump because she's on her feet most of the day.

As for me, I'm comfortable in my dockers and polo shirts. It's usually what I'm wearing. I don't wear jeans though because I just plain don't like them. They pinch too much when you have to do a lot of bending. As for shoes, I like to wear Giorgio Brutini shoes.

I have two artificial legs now (lost them both in Iraq) so the dockers are more comfortable because they have more thigh room.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:55 PM

14 posts, read 23,742 times
Why is they such hate towards us people from Britain. i think some people need to grow up

Old 10-11-2009, 03:12 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Why are Americans unfashionable compared to most European countries and Asian countries? Even in Turkey, most people follow the trends.

When I lived in the UK, everyone, including people up into their 50's followed a common type of trend. Most people looked pleasant and in style.

I know there are 5 billion more important issues than this, but what is your opinion?

My opinion: We have an attitude where we think we are too good to care what others think... which is good in some ways, however I think it's also important to follow trends or at least look presentable.

The soccer mom style has torn American fashion apart... European mothers all follow the style and you see them wearing high heels on cobblestone streets while pushing their child's stroller. Yeah, that's going a little too far, but I'm sure you smell what I'm stepping in right lol?

Also, we are one of the fattest countries in the world... and well, most obese people don't follow the trends as they don't cater to their weight... And honestly, when you're obese, you probably aren't so good looking.

When I lived in the UK, I asked people who have visited the US what was some cultural shocks they found. The main one I heard was some of the extremely obese people (they've never even seen a 300 pound person) and how so many people don't follow the fashion and look sloppy. You know... the running sneakers, husky stretchable shorts, and t-shirt.
Well, in this posting you've mentioned 'to follow' which would be a big put-off to me. Perhaps that is an American trait... not wanting to follow. You mention: "Even in Turkey, most people follow the trends." Is that what fashion and beauty are about? Being a follower? Finding out what everyone is doing and trying to do the same thing?

Perhaps if it's less common here, it's because people: 1) don't care 2) want to set their own fashion or 3) do their own thing.

I don't find anything appealing about the slob look either--and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing sweats in public (unless I was at a gym). Ditto for t-shirts (unless I'm hiking somewhere). But I will say as someone who frequently has 14-hours days (work, dinners with friends, meetings, get-togethers, etc.), I could not imagine wearing heels or anything uncomfortable for that long.

For this reason, I try to find tasteful--but comfortable--clothing and shoes. Ultimately, it's about me and how I feel.

Also, 'trendy' implies buying clothing that is heavily marketed as being popular for a very short period of time. Being trendy is not the same as being fashionable.

And yes, there are too many fat Americans. Fatness is becoming increasingly more common in Europe too--perhaps due to the continual popularity of junky, overly-processed foods. Being fit and healthy is going to be a big boost for anyone's appearance, even before fashion. It doesn't matter how well someone dresses, if they look very over-weight or smell like cigarette smoke.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Watch BBC America--and you'll see plenty of "stout" or "portly" Brits--and that's just the women.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
come on - Europeans want to look like Americans so bady its funny - when you go over there they will just beg you for American jeans, t-shirts, handbags, everything. Who are you kidding?

Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
come on - Europeans want to look like Americans so bady its funny - when you go over there they will just beg you for American jeans, t-shirts, handbags, everything. Who are you kidding?

I completely agree with you!
Ask any student or young professional, they'll want to be American from head to toe!

Old 10-11-2009, 04:00 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosue View Post
Why is they such hate towards us people from Britain. i think some people need to grow up
I don't share such hatred. Enjoyed my time in the British colony of Gibralter. Never got the chance to go to England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty