U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:39 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,571,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Perhaps that mother is not so selfish or into herself because she would rather do things for her kids like raising them properly? I don't know how many mothers bring their kids to nannies so they get to go shopping, attend tennis lessons, meet Fanny for lunch, go back shopping, then hit the gym and tanning salon before they pick up their precious ones at 5pm every day!

Tell you what, I have seen the same amount of good looking "obese" people as I have of the Heroin-chic models that weigh 70 pounds. What IS ugly is the tone of your shallow and pedantic post.
I think it's very possible for moms to look good, exercise, take care of themselves AND be good mothers. Obesity is NOT healthy, no matter how good you look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:52 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,864,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
... Obesity is NOT healthy, no matter how good you look...
By the same token, slender doesn't necessarily mean healthy either. There are a lot of skinny and totally unhealthy folks walking around, but they get a pass because they are, to some, visually appealing. Healthy is healthy and can come in many different sized and shaped packages.

But whoops, looks like the thread may be veering off-topic . Bringing it back to fashion and the US, for me fashion equals "meh". Couldn't care less about whether I'm "fashionable" or not. I wear what looks as decent as possible and make sure it's neat, clean and comfortable. If it happens to be fashionable too, well, extra points for me. If others don't approve of my fashion sense (or nonsense, as the case may be), well, they either can pony up the cash to buy me a new wardrobe (which I won't wear if it doesn't meet my above-mentioned criteria) or they can simply look the other way.

I'd hope my friends judge me by my actions, not by my wardrobe.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,938,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I hear about this almost daily from my wife who is European. I think partly it depends on where you live. Here in LA I see 40 and 50 year old women who are in great shape drinking their lattes before going to Pilates while wearing their awesome Bebe workout gear. I dont think you'll see this in Pittsburgh.

The "soccer mom" mentality is definately ruining it for many. Fat flabby arms, fat bellys and "Momma jeans" are definitely not attractive. I think many (Non LA) moms just let themselves go when they have kids and this is counter to the European mindset. Everything is my baby my baby then they get fatter and their husbands leave them and when their children move out, they become mean old lonely cat ladies. This seems to be a middle America trend.

Sometimes I get tired of trying to explain to my wife because she really get disgusted at how American women just let themselves go.
Ive had some more time to really think about this and really it depends on the region in America where women live. Here in Los Angeles as I mentioned earlier, many women take great care to look good and be fashionable. Even when I was coaching Little League, the moms were all in great shape - I mean really really good shape to where you want to ask if they are the mothers or older sisters because they take care of themselves. I see young mothers (and some old mothers as well) with great hair, Prada sunglasses on jogging and walking around while pushing their Bugaboo strollers around while in between Pilates, Yoga or workout sessions at the gym. I think in other parts of America, mothers tend to be fat and wear ugly old oversided faded sweat shirts and momma jeans then wonder why their husbands left them.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:34 PM

3,857 posts, read 5,248,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Ive had some more time to really think about this and really it depends on the region in America where women live. Here in Los Angeles as I mentioned earlier, many women take great care to look good and be fashionable. Even when I was coaching Little League, the moms were all in great shape - I mean really really good shape to where you want to ask if they are the mothers or older sisters because they take care of themselves. I see young mothers (and some old mothers as well) with great hair, Prada sunglasses on jogging and walking around while pushing their Bugaboo strollers around while in between Pilates, Yoga or workout sessions at the gym. I think in other parts of America, mothers tend to be fat and wear ugly old oversided faded sweat shirts and momma jeans then wonder why their husbands left them.

You don't get out of LA much do you? I also find it funny that you focus on women. American men aren't exactly fashionable either. Nor are all of them fit.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:34 PM

50,303 posts, read 47,653,355 times
anger does not manifest itself in beauty.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 PM

4,255 posts, read 8,315,156 times
As pointed out by many in the thread, "fashionable" is in the eye of the beholder. It does not necessarily mean wearing Prada and having the most expensive brand name baby stroller and spending all your time at the latest gym, as is implied in your post - that's mistaking trendy for fashionable.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,938,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
You don't get out of LA much do you? I also find it funny that you focus on women. American men aren't exactly fashionable either. Nor are all of them fit.
I occasionally get to get out of LA but its usually to go overseas. I mentioned women because of what the OP said in her post. You are so right that American men are even worse when it comes to fashion/fitness.

I make sure not to be that way. I workout daily to both look good and to be stay healthy. I must admit, that I do have some Prada and Gucci sunglasses (gifts from my wife) and I do love my Affliction shirts and Buffalo jeans. For work, Its button up Polo shirts only. Other times its just whatever I have in my closet. The point is, I care about how I look and it just makes me happier knowing that I am in great physical, mental and spiritual shape.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,571,190 times
What does it mean to be 'fashionable'? I think 'stylish' is a better word, because runway type 'fashion' isn't appropriate for 99.99% of people. I think that 'stylish' means you have your own style, your own tastes and preferences. This is available to anyone of any size, age or economic level. Could be basic, artsy, etc.... I admire individual style. I dislike seeing too many labels (Juicy is the worst...), age/size inappropriate, and dirty/messy. Anything else is ok with me!
ps-yes, plenty of slender people are unhealthy...but obesity has its own set of unique problems. 'slender' is not a health hazard.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,988,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I think it's very possible for moms to look good, exercise, take care of themselves AND be good mothers. Obesity is NOT healthy, no matter how good you look.

I agree. But most mothers I see don't have to work yet still don't raise their kids at home. They send them to day care every weekday so they can continue to do those things that make them look good. It's all about ego, but of course, they'll say it's for health benefits.

It is very important to take care of yourself. There is no denying this and looking good is definitely part of it. Nobody wants to look bad, it just seems that way for some people. It's just laughable though that there are still people who look at those stupid "fashion" mags in the grocery line and think that those models and/or celebrities look that way all the time.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:34 AM

20,534 posts, read 16,851,883 times
First of all, who can afford to buy whats 'in fashion' anymore when we cant even afford the gas to get from point A to point B? Im a simple country girl so dont care about whats flashy these days, good ol' jeans never go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty