U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 PM

634 posts, read 2,668,099 times

Advertisements

Why are Americans unfashionable compared to most European countries and Asian countries? Even in Turkey, most people follow the trends.

When I lived in the UK, everyone, including people up into their 50's followed a common type of trend. Most people looked pleasant and in style.

I know there are 5 billion more important issues than this, but what is your opinion?

My opinion: We have an attitude where we think we are too good to care what others think... which is good in some ways, however I think it's also important to follow trends or at least look presentable.

The soccer mom style has torn American fashion apart... European mothers all follow the style and you see them wearing high heels on cobblestone streets while pushing their child's stroller. Yeah, that's going a little too far, but I'm sure you smell what I'm stepping in right lol?

Also, we are one of the fattest countries in the world... and well, most obese people don't follow the trends as they don't cater to their weight... And honestly, when you're obese, you probably aren't so good looking.

When I lived in the UK, I asked people who have visited the US what was some cultural shocks they found. The main one I heard was some of the extremely obese people (they've never even seen a 300 pound person) and how so many people don't follow the fashion and look sloppy. You know... the running sneakers, husky stretchable shorts, and t-shirt.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 02:24 AM

468 posts, read 1,491,613 times
We just don't care how we look. That's all.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:09 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,002,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Why are Americans unfashionable compared to most European countries and Asian countries? Even in Turkey, most people follow the trends.

When I lived in the UK, everyone, including people up into their 50's followed a common type of trend.
Also, we are one of the fattest countries in the world... and well, most obese people don't follow the trends as they don't cater to their weight...
Obesity is a shameful issue here in the US. It does lead to factors that have driven the cost of health care up, I'll give you that.

Fashion-wise, we tend to be independent sorts, once we reach maturity (go in any mall and note that nearly every store there sells basically the same kind of clothes directed at young people). I'm sitting here with a bit of a sneer at your comment "followed a common type of trend". Bunch of herd-types, eh? When the low-rise pants fashion struck here, I said "hellll no". The style of wearing a fancy top over jeans? Ridiculous. I found a "look" I was comfortable with and that fit my lifestyle. It's weird that I wear long sleeves in the summer, and keep a sweater with me when I go to work, but that's because the environment I work in dictates layers.

I don't let fashion magazines or trends dictate what I wear.

Quote:
And honestly, when you're obese, you probably aren't so good looking.
I see overweight people and think "diabetes, heart trouble, a decreasing ability to walk...." whether they "aren't so good looking" or if they are is something that they have to see with their own eyes. I would not be so rude to comment on it, anywhere.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:23 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
It's hard to look fashionable with our arms hanging at our sides at a 45-degree angle.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 AM

1,889 posts, read 6,985,925 times
There are regional differences to consider, too. Unlike other countries, you can pretty much bet there's a bit more diversity found in the u.s. The 'trends' here can vary from state to state (or from city to city). Just browse around this message board and you can see it for yourself. We don't usually "follow a common trend".

Old 06-29-2008, 06:48 AM

185 posts, read 583,192 times
It all depends what area of the United States you live in. My weakness is leather goods and when living in Ohio a cashmere coat, leather boots and gloves, Pendleton wools was what I loved to ware. Can't do it in Florida. In fact it's more of a chore getting dressed in nice clothes. Skirts and tops, shorts and flip-flops. I'd like to know whatever happen to the A-line skirts? To me they were sharp. Oh well gathered waist bands one size fits most I guess.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,788,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's hard to look fashionable with our arms hanging at our sides at a 45-degree angle.
ROFL, that's too funny

As for me and fashion, I couldn't care less what the latest trend is. I know what I like, I think I know what looks good on me, although I can't see myself from behind and I'm an active mom of 4. I guess you could say I'm the "soccer mom" to quote you, although, technically we don't play soccer, I'm more of a football/baseball mom , but anyways, I wear clothes that look nice, clean, but I can still get to my destinations and fit in without looking over made up. I think it looks ridiculous to be wearing high heels like the op mentioned and all made up, if you are sitting on the bleachers at the tball field watching your kids play ball!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:34 AM

716 posts, read 1,867,122 times
Hmmm, sounds to me like someone's been looking at the vanity mirror for too long, if the uk is so good, why dont you go back??

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 06-30-2008 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: removed offensive wording

Old 06-29-2008, 07:54 AM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Hmmm, sounds to me like someone's been looking at the vanity mirror for too long, if the uk is so good, why dont you go back to that crap hole??
That's just plain rude and mean spirited and anyway it's off topic. The poster never said the UK was that great--they are just asking about fashions and stating that it's different in Europe and the UK.

I think Europeans are more fashionable perhaps because of the influence of Paris and Italy, locations that are known for great style. Also they have a more moderate climate so are not forced to wear shorts and a tank top and flip flops in summer just to survive the heat.

I never did see much style in the UK outside of the major cities--and you do see fashion and style in the cities. You get out into the country or to a tourist destination and they dress casually and with less style tham here in the US. The older folk in particular seem to dress in uniform -- the ladies with the sensible shoes, dowdy dress, rumpled cardigan and raincoat. Men--I've forgotten mostly but they all have one sweater that looks like they've had it for 20 years.

Ever since I can remember, Europeans and Brits have dressed more formally than we in the US. Something to do with our history -- our pioneering? our independent nature? Our lack of tradition?

Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 AM

14,931 posts, read 26,635,658 times
Beauty (and fashion) is in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or