U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you lose weight for fashion?
yes 9 64.29%
no 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:15 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,331,463 times

Advertisements

ANd no i dont mean get to 80 pounds...I was reading the Plus size thread and remembered it as one of those things that motivated me to lose. Shopping is annoying enough on its own. Plus size shopping is so annoying with having to try EVERYTHING on.

But why dont you try to lose a few?
(and yeh that could sound totally rude but dont take it that way)

I just want to know what holds you to your weight?
If you would change it if you could?
If you can, why havent you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 07:16 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,951,585 times
I don't need to lose any weight, at all, but I would think such a difficult time shopping for clothes should be motivation enough (assuming your own health and well being isn't enough)

Old 07-21-2008, 07:32 PM

290 posts, read 984,946 times
I wouldn't lose weight for "fashion" necessarily, but if shopping was so difficult that I couldn't find any "regular" clothes that fit, it might open my eyes a bit to my size, if that makes sense. And yes, I do totally realize that it's not as easy as all that for many people. I have 2 very close friends who have struggled with their weight for years, and it hurts me to see them so frustrated and unhappy. That being said, us slender gals have as difficult a time shopping for clothes that fit as larger ladies do- and unfortunately, there are no "specialty" shops for us!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:49 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,951,585 times
A little tip for your friends: 40 years ago there were 1 in 5 Americans overweight. Today there are 3 of 4 overweight. Have your friends research all of the things that have changed in the food industry during that time, (there's a LOT, it's overwhelming actually) and I guarantee they won't be struggling much longer.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:55 PM

290 posts, read 984,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
A little tip for your friends: 40 years ago there were 1 in 5 Americans overweight. Today there are 3 of 4 overweight. Have your friends research all of the things that have changed in the food industry during that time, (there's a LOT, it's overwhelming actually) and I guarantee they won't be struggling much longer.
Oh trust me- you're preaching to the choir! I am an organic, whole foods, no processed crap, high frusctose corn syrup, additives, hormones or pesticides kind of gal! That some people really can't connect the dots frankly SHOCKS me. But that, as they say, is another thread altogether!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,184,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
ANd no i dont mean get to 80 pounds...I was reading the Plus size thread and remembered it as one of those things that motivated me to lose. Shopping is annoying enough on its own. Plus size shopping is so annoying with having to try EVERYTHING on.
Shopping can often be annoying not matter what size you are.
My answer to your poll was No but I have lost weight for fashion in the past. I've lost weight to fit into specific items for specific events but as a general rule I have several places whose clothing styles I like and I just make sure and visit them regularly and pick things up when they go on sale. Also I have already accepted what kinds of clothes I like and my style in general so I tend to stock up when the sales are on, on the things that suit me and my lifestyle best.

Quote:
But why dont you try to lose a few?
(and yeh that could sound totally rude but dont take it that way)
Spent the better part of my life losing, gaining, losing, gaining. Frankly I find the whole thing tedious and annoying and I wonder what I could have done with all that wasted energy and effort.

Quote:
I just want to know what holds you to your weight?
Illness and steroids mostly these days, but there are many and varied issues with how I came to be here, most of them to do with psychology and illness.

Quote:
If you would change it if you could?
Well one is always striving within the parameters but ultimately I've often wished that I could have been born with the genetic make up that didn't predispose me to weight gain. That it was a complete non issue in my life but that's just a pipe dream really.

Quote:
If you can, why havent you?
I don't think it's as simple for some as racing off and joining The Biggest Loser or Jenny Craig. A lot of things keep people struggling with their weight, not least of all some of the desperate and ill informed things they are prepared to do to try to lose it. Many of those motivations, brought on by the stigma of society, can and do make things much, much worse for people in terms of how their body metabolizes and how it responds to the stimuli. Just my 2c.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 15,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
Oh trust me- you're preaching to the choir! I am an organic, whole foods, no processed crap, high frusctose corn syrup, additives, hormones or pesticides kind of gal! That some people really can't connect the dots frankly SHOCKS me. But that, as they say, is another thread altogether!
I've got some health issues that force me to eat pretty much all organic foods. No preservatives, or artificial anything. No alcohol, no cured meats. But guess what? I've actually gained weight since starting to eat this way exclusively. Anyhow, it hasn't been all that long so I'm hoping it regulates itself after a while.

I'm not plus sized, and I don't plan on letting myself get there if I can help it. If I was plus sized though, I would try to lose weight. Not to make shopping easier, but because I would be very unhealthy.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 AM

4,541 posts, read 9,496,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
That being said, us slender gals have as difficult a time shopping for clothes that fit as larger ladies do- and unfortunately, there are no "specialty" shops for us!
No kidding.....

I'm 40 and shop in the junior departments to be able to find my sizes.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,588,355 times
I think weight is an issue for every woman... not just plus sized women. It is a horrible feeling when you are one size one day and can't fit into it the next- even if that size is a four and you must move to a six... you still know you have gained weight and that is a defeat to the mind and esteam just as much as it is to go from a 20 to a 22... a size is a size and weight is weight- nobody likes it and everyone loses to fit into the size they want...

Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 AM

444 posts, read 922,983 times
I would worry more about my health than to weigh 80 pounds to look good for certain fashions. It is okay to have curves. Curves are sexy. Most models don't have curves because they are just skin and bones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty