U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:43 PM

175 posts, read 915,002 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody- I've had peeling fingernails all my life...I tried everything, every product, every horse-hoof cream, every vitamin. Nothing really worked. I started taking Fish Oil capsules (only one, maybe 2x a week) for general health, NOT for my nails, and whadda ya know? My nails have totally quit peeling and have been growing real nice, for the first time ever. Just thought I'd pass it along....I don't eat fish at all, so maybe my body was lacking the Omega 3 or whatever that your nails need?? Don't know, but it's working!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,796,135 times
That is a great discovery. Did it also help with cuticles?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:17 AM

5,078 posts, read 8,753,528 times
After getting really interested in juicing, taking vitamins to optimize my health not just one of those multi vitamins, this is what I take daily and have noticed a drastic difference in my overall feeling of health, hair, nails and skin.
I take the following vitamins and read You on a Diet by Dr. Oz, which notes some of these vitamins.... the rest I researched on my own.

Glucosomine
Niacin
Magnesium (but not at the same time as the Niacin)
Cod liver oil (it's a gel type tab)
CoQ10
2 baby aspirin
Chromium Picolinate

The combination of vitamins have worked really well for me and have a lot of healthful benefits.
My nails used to be really brittle and would break off once they barely got long, now they grow so fast I have to keep them cut all the time. My skin has cleared up a lot and even though I rarely broke out, it glows now and I look more youthful than my age.
My weight has gone down but this isn't just because of the vitamins. My hair is shinier.
I feel like I have more energy now too. My daily routine hasn't changed much but I used to be very tired all afternoon and that has improved.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 AM

8,182 posts, read 11,381,522 times
My nails stopped peeling when I started taking calcium. I didn't know that was what is was until I went to get a manicure and the lady complimented me on my nails. I told here that they used to peel and such and the 1st thing she asked me was "do you take a calcium supplement?" Being of a certain age (cough cough) the answer is yes!
She said that's why.

I am going to try the vitamin list above tho.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:40 PM

145 posts, read 326,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Hi everybody- I've had peeling fingernails all my life...I tried everything, every product, every horse-hoof cream, every vitamin. Nothing really worked. I started taking Fish Oil capsules (only one, maybe 2x a week) for general health, NOT for my nails, and whadda ya know? My nails have totally quit peeling and have been growing real nice, for the first time ever. Just thought I'd pass it along....I don't eat fish at all, so maybe my body was lacking the Omega 3 or whatever that your nails need?? Don't know, but it's working!
You're right it does help. It not only helped my nails but my hair and skin as well.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 113,186 times
Ok, had the same problem. Always had lovely nails, never had the fakes.
I turned 40 something and suddenly my nails are peeling like pages in a book.
My doctor thought it might be thyroid- test said my thyroid is fine.
Doc said try a prenatal vitamin or biotin or B complex. So heres what i did:
Stopped at Walgreens, got biotin suppliment (nothing fancy, whatever they had) while I was there I was looking for the Jojoba oil that I've read helps, couldn't find it.
I did find a hand lotion- Nivea Soft moistureizing cream, it has Jojoba oil and vitamin E. Again, not exspensive!
That night I rub it into my nails and hands and sleep with a pair of cloth gloves (think i got them at Bed Bath and Beyond for 10.00) I'm sure the sock trick would work also. Lets be honest I can not stop several times a day to rub lotion on my nails.
THE NEXT DAY I saw improvement! A few days later of doing this and there has been a huge change!
Not sayin this will work for everyone, but it did for me.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:43 PM

14,812 posts, read 7,985,323 times
My nails stopped peeling 50 years ago when I stopped using ANY kind of nail polish. Nevertheless, they remained fragile and would break easily. When I started taking collagen tablets, they got hard as nails.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:14 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,047,468 times
Everytime I have tried taking vitamins they make me burp all day. Fish oil was the worst. How do y'all take all these vitamins without them repeating on you and or making you feel sick? When I was preggo with child number 1 I did a prenatal with no issues and felt great. With 2 & 3 the prenatal made me sick as well as having the issue I mention above. Ever since then I can't seem to tolerate a lot of vitamins although I do take 2000 ICU of vitamin D with no issues as well as Vitamin C (chewable). What gives?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM

14,812 posts, read 7,985,323 times
If you take them with a meal, they should settle in with the food just fine. Taking them with little or no food will make them repeat on you.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,168,852 times
Try flaxseed versions if the fish oils give you problems. Its the vegetarian equivalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty