Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:31 PM

238 posts, read 1,243,871 times

Advertisements

I have had "gels" on my nails since December and want to take a break from them. I know my nails will be weak for a while. Can anyone recommend a good nail "rejuvenator" to help get my nails thru this period & strengthen them?
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 11:51 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,114,944 times
I just used something like Hard As Nails for quite awhile after I stopped getting the fake nails. Took a bit of time for my nails to get back to normal. Those fake nails are bad, bad, bad for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
I have had "gels" on my nails since December and want to take a break from them. I know my nails will be weak for a while. Can anyone recommend a good nail "rejuvenator" to help get my nails thru this period & strengthen them?
Thanks!!!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:07 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,602,207 times
I used to get my nails done all the time, when you take them off, yes they will be very weak. I found the quickest way to get them back to normal was to keep themt trimmed a lot, every time I saw my nail growth, I'd cut them back. The more you cut them it seems the faster they grow and I used a LOT of lotion on them to keep them moisturized. My daughter and I have both done this practice after removing false nails with really good results. Good luck! It will be about 8 weeks before you notice a big difference but it's kind of nice not getting them done and just letting your own nail "breath".

Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,165,779 times
Take a multi-vitamin

Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,635,793 times
Definitely keep them short, vitamin e, and something simple as hard as nails. It will take some time to get the strength back in the nails, but it will happen!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM

79 posts, read 457,600 times
Default Nails

Hiya

Nails don't need to breath if your worried that you have had them on too long.

Nail enhancements do not damage nails
the only thing that will damage your nails is removaal with force or a poor choice of technician (not qualified and using poor products)

Nails can be soft after removal, gels don't soak off very easily..i would get advise from your local salon.

good luck and try some (Creative, Designer Nails Soalr Oil)

Ginnygin x

Old 08-04-2008, 01:41 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,114,944 times
you might want to post a medical article re-enforcing your statement that nails aren't hurt by having fake nails covering them.
I was told differently by my doctor, who freaked when he found out I had not only worn them but worn them for at least a year. They ruined my nail bed for a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyGin View Post
Hiya

Nails don't need to breath if your worried that you have had them on too long.

Nail enhancements do not damage nails
the only thing that will damage your nails is removaal with force or a poor choice of technician (not qualified and using poor products)

Nails can be soft after removal, gels don't soak off very easily..i would get advise from your local salon.

good luck and try some (Creative, Designer Nails Soalr Oil)

Ginnygin x

Last edited by Élan vital; 08-04-2008 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: sp.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:24 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,407,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
you might want to post a medical article re-enforcing your statement that nails aren't hurt by having fake nails covering them.
I was told differently by my doctor, who freaked when he found out I had not only worn them but worn them for at least a year. They ruined my nail bed for a couple of years.
I second that, and was told the same thing by my doc (complaining about my nails being brittle, thin and breaking)
First, the nails DO GET DAMAGED in the process of getting them PREPPED for the artificial nail to adhere to the nails surface. (They have to be "roughened up" in order for anything to "stick"...and THAT'S exactly the first step in damaging the nails)
(No matter what form of artificial product or process is being used...gel, nail glue, acrylic)
Also, new studies show, that toxic ingredients/ chemicals in those acrylic and gel products, penetrate trough the nail, being absorbed by the body.
Externally....the fumes you are breathing in during that process of having your nails done, is also harmful and totally underestimated by so many.
Not only do people get nasty fungus on their nail beds and nails (which, some can be controlled, but not cured)...all the way to serious infections and ruining their nails and nail beds, cuticles for a lifetime....all in the name of "beauty" and fashion.
I have to admit, I was one of them......but learned my lesson after doing some serious and extensive research on it.
Now I chose to have natural and healthy nails, trim them every so often, use a top coat and nail hardener, use moisturizer and vitamin "E" to masage into my nails and cuticle (keeping them moisturized and nourished)...and use multi vitamins and biotin.
I am so much happier with them, saving money, the stress and time crunch of having them done every 2 - 3 weeks, and I really had to "nurse" them back to "health".....which took time and patience. (On the other hand, it was so easy and quick to ruin them !)

Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 PM

79 posts, read 457,600 times
Default nails

Hiya,

I am aware of the concerns about the myth that nail enhancements that damage natural nails.

I do have written confirmation that this is untrue (this book is what i call my nail bible)
It was the best book i have ever read (since reading it i have become a very experienced nail technician)

Nail Structure & Product Chemistry
by Dougas D. Schoon

Pg 85 Damaged Nails

about the auther: taken from Douglas Schoon Book
Douglas Schoon obtained his master's degree in chemistry from the Universtity of California-Irvine. he has more than 20yrs experience as a chemical researcher, lecturer and educator. he is the president and founder of Chemical Awareness Training Service, based in newport Beach, california.

If he don't know then no one does

Ginnygin x

Old 08-19-2008, 11:49 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyGin View Post
Hiya,

I am aware of the concerns about the myth that nail enhancements that damage natural nails.

I do have written confirmation that this is untrue (this book is what i call my nail bible)
It was the best book i have ever read (since reading it i have become a very experienced nail technician)

Nail Structure & Product Chemistry
by Dougas D. Schoon

Pg 85 Damaged Nails

about the auther: taken from Douglas Schoon Book
Douglas Schoon obtained his master's degree in chemistry from the Universtity of California-Irvine. he has more than 20yrs experience as a chemical researcher, lecturer and educator. he is the president and founder of Chemical Awareness Training Service, based in newport Beach, california.

If he don't know then no one does

Ginnygin x
sorry, but not only have I also heard the same info about fake nails damaging real nails, but I've seen the damaged first hand (former co-worker's pinky nail was completely removed from the bed and has never fully grown in)

you're a nail technician, so you're obviously biased, and you still haven't given any real proof what you say is true, other than a brief passage from a possibly questionable book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty