U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2008, 11:53 PM

467 posts, read 1,196,753 times

Advertisements

Hey, all! I'm 20, and I wear American Eagle almost exclusively because for some reason I find their clothes not only to fit me the best, but the quality to be the best. I can wash anything from there on cold and dry on high, and there is never shrinking or wrinkling, and the clothes there in general feel good and last a long time.

If anyone happens to know that whoever manufactures AE's clothes also does it for another retailer, I'd love to know. Also I'd love to know if there are any similar quality stores. I used to shop at Abercrombie and Hollister and I have found they, too, are pretty good, as well as Urban Outfitters. But on the other hand, all of my Gap clothes shrink immediately (especially the favorite t's!) and H&M clothes, I might as well throw them out after I wear them once because they always lose some quality once washed (even when they are not dried, as I always let them air dry)! I feel like I'm throwing out my money and I need more clothes badly.

So, to recap, good:
- AE, Urban Outfitters, Hollister/Abercrombie
and bad:
- Gap [except Gap Body]/Old Navy/Banana Republic, H&M, Forever 21

Can anyone recommend another company not listed here?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 12:09 AM

9,000 posts, read 8,843,321 times
I have purchased quite a few pairs of jeans from Target (dark wash) and I've had very little fading, shrinking, etc.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:17 AM

1,234 posts, read 1,511,576 times
My tops from Target are wonderful. You might not be much of a t-shirt gal, but the t-shirts for women on American Apparel fit and are still really nice time and time again.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:43 PM

1,652 posts, read 4,905,851 times
Exactly how are you washing the Gap stuff because very few of the items I have from Gap shrink. Now, American Eagle does shrink, but it's also small to begin with.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,570,051 times
none of my gap clothes have ever shrunk, save for some wool pants that accidentally made their way into the washbasket.

on the flip side i remember shrinking one of my wife's AE shirts a few years back. and to go even further, my mom shrinks everything. but she washes everything in hot water and dries on high heat. so maybe you just need to change the way you do laundry?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:35 PM

1,652 posts, read 4,905,851 times
Gap quality is head and shoulders above American Eagle in my experience.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,047,468 times
Sorry to say you have missed the mark. Gap quality far surpassses all the other brands you mentioned. All of Gap's fabrics have been pre-washed and other than a slight 1/2 inch rising up of the cotton shirts in length should never and have any problems with shrinking and if you do Gap will return the item. In the 30 years I have been wearing their stuff I have maybe had one item shrink. It was actually a dress in their kids line that was a sweater dress. Ag on the other hand shrinks quite a bit as my sons wear their polos and I always have to go a size larger than they wear. Their t-shirts also stretch out in the neck and become misshapen. As far as Ambercrobie goes their denims are decent their t-shirts are made of a thin woven cotton and do shrink significantly. Hollister has the same tendencies. But overall NO jean or denim item should shrink from these stores because the wash they use to get the look of modern denims are all pre-shrunk.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,168,852 times
J.Crew.

I still have a sweater from them that gets compliments. Its 12 years old!
A classic cut and a little more expensive but I never had things last me like they do from J.crew. Thier look is classic and muted so its easy to mix the J.crew keepers with any look.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,047,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
J.Crew.

I still have a sweater from them that gets compliments. Its 12 years old!
A classic cut and a little more expensive but I never had things last me like they do from J.crew. Thier look is classic and muted so its easy to mix the J.crew keepers with any look.
I agree I have a pink sweater set from them that I bought 20 years ago. Still looks brand new!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,168,852 times
Its really amazing to me as mine is black. Black never looked this good this long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty