U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:00 PM

38 posts, read 70,280 times

Advertisements

How?
Haha, is there a very easy way for those who are unskilled, or is it better to simply make a trip to someone who knows what they're doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 AM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
I love this quote! And even though I am a woman, I do feel that some women fuss way too much over their eyebrow grooming.

Quote:
New Rule: Ladies, leave your eyebrows alone. Here’s how much men care about your eyebrows: Do you have two of them? Good, we’re done.
- George Carlin: New Rules For 2008

Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 AM

2,956 posts, read 11,040,330 times
Eyebrows that are ungroomed are akin to overgrown shrubbery in the yard. Bushy, scruffy, ragged, and unsightly.

Well groomed eyebrows will light up the face and eyes. They provide a neat tidy appearance to the face. The person who lives in the nice house sweeps the doorway daily. It's the same with the face you present and the body you live in. Neglect becomes quickly evident.

Good grooming is always in good taste.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 AM

874 posts, read 3,356,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Eyebrows that are ungroomed are akin to overgrown shrubbery in the yard. Bushy, scruffy, ragged, and unsightly.

Well groomed eyebrows will light up the face and eyes. They provide a neat tidy appearance to the face. The person who lives in the nice house sweeps the doorway daily. It's the same with the face you present and the body you live in. Neglect becomes quickly evident.

Hey..i like this post!!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:57 AM

5,891 posts, read 11,083,086 times
There is almost nothing that give me more of a pick-me-up than going and getting an eyebrow arch done at a salon where they know what they're doing. Like a previous poster said, it opens up and lights up your face and eyes.

While it's not the most pleasant experience, it is well worth the money and is over a lot faster than if you were to pluck every single hair individually. I only wished someone had turned me onto it years earlier than I started.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,618,392 times
If you decide to go for a professional wax (for your first time, that might be a good idea), be sure to discuss with your professional exactly what sort of shape you'd like. Discuss your eye shape and size, your brow shape and size (the bony part, not the hairs themselves) and your face shape and size. Have a good idea of brows you like (bring in pictures if you can) and discuss whether those are feasible for you.

Encourage her/him to take off LESS than you want to start with. You can always take off more if it's not quite right. However, if they just go hogwild and leave you with nothing but a little pencil-line of hair, not much you can do about it until they grow back.

Trust me, I speak from experience here . My last waxing (with someone I'd never been to before because I couldn't get booked with one of my regulars) came out less than desirable even though I thought I'd explained exactly what I was looking for. She did what she wanted and I was stuck with it.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 AM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

Well groom, but don't overwork the eyebrows. I think that some women worry too much about their face and the makeup and the guys really don't care that much. Just don't get makeup and lipstick on their clothing. And don't forget to finish your face off with a nice smile.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:13 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,851,069 times
Have any of you ever had "threading" done?

I heard about it recently (here perhaps) and I'm intrigued. I hate to 'do' my brows... but when I do I'm very glad because it totally makes my face more expressive. Very Scarlett O'Hara IMHO. Left alone though, it can get scary.

So, I was thinking this threading technique might be a good idea.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:43 PM

562 posts, read 2,086,801 times
After having natural brows my whole life I began carefully plucking them in the best shape and filling them in with a light powder. Good brows are like a mini face lift, IMHO, and like the right hair cut, and wearing your best colors, a well groomed brow of the right shape is an easy way to look better.

I used to work at Merle Norman and softly redrew the brows on a woman who had plucked too far in on the inner edges. She looked so much better, and promised to grow them back. Super skinny brows are also unflattering on most women.I say go to an expert for the first wax and learn the best shape for you, and keep it up.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,585,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondieucharon View Post
How?
Haha, is there a very easy way for those who are unskilled, or is it better to simply make a trip to someone who knows what they're doing.
IF you are comfortable doing it yourself, I think the Anastasia (sp?) kits are a good item to get to help shape your brows correctly but kinda pricey (close to $80). You can get them at Sephora. I am a little cheap so I found something similar at Longs. They are stencils you place over your brow, color it in, and pluck what isn't in the shape you colored (similar to the Anatasia kit). The stencils were about $6, I use Bare Essencials brow filler (it is a powder and I use a brush) which was about $12 plus about another $10 for the brush, and then I use clear mascara ($7) to brush them into place and it keeps them where I want them. MUCH less expensive but good so you don't over pluck and they have a good shape.

If you are hesitant AT ALL, have a pro do it. Overplucked brows look awful and I find many people don't quite get the right shape which can look creepy. These things highlight your eyes so a good shape is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty