U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 AM

213 posts, read 595,952 times

Advertisements

my mom used it on her face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,890,687 times
My mother and grandmother used Ponds Cold Cream, which I don't think has petrolatum products, but beeswax instead. My grandmother was a smoker but still had beautiful creamy complexion. Maybe I should try it!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:57 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,348,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Should I tell my zits they are myths?

I dont think they would undertstand.
You can talk all you want to your zits if you like.

I have found that Paula Begoun is usually correct in her research and have trusted her site and opinions when it comes to choosing facial products and cosmetics. Of course, your individual results may vary.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,301,031 times
Vaseline is thick and could clog your pores and give you red ugly nasty pimples so becareful to apply only super thin layer at most...

Old 08-21-2008, 04:10 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,301,978 times
Hydration is the key to keeping skin soft and supple. Vaseline is a barrier which when applied serves to keep the skin's natural moisture from evaporating. But if you put it on and go to bed then most of it will be on the pillow, not on your face.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:26 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,597,992 times
A few months ago I ran out of my usual Jason green tea based cream so I started using this pure coco butter I had bought when I was pregnant to prevent stretch marks. It goes on kinda greasy but its a great base for a little cover up (which I use very sparingly in a few reddish areas on my cheeks and under the eyes) as my skin had become quite dry as I got into late 30's and this makes the cover up go on very smoothly. So I've been using this for a few months now and I'm liking it. Its greasy when you put it on but within an hour it soaks in.

So perhaps something that has that greasy feel that softens the skin but eventually soaks in might work nicely for you?

I thought vaseline is oil based, like the oil we put in our car, so it sounds kind of industrial if you think about it. Rather go with something natural that is sinking into your pores and your body. But I really dont know about the make-up of vaseline and probably am way off base.. Someone enlighten me.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,890,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
A few months ago I ran out of my usual Jason green tea based cream so I started using this pure coco butter I had bought when I was pregnant to prevent stretch marks. It goes on kinda greasy but its a great base for a little cover up (which I use very sparingly in a few reddish areas on my cheeks and under the eyes) as my skin had become quite dry as I got into late 30's and this makes the cover up go on very smoothly. So I've been using this for a few months now and I'm liking it. Its greasy when you put it on but within an hour it soaks in.

So perhaps something that has that greasy feel that softens the skin but eventually soaks in might work nicely for you?

I thought vaseline is oil based, like the oil we put in our car, so it sounds kind of industrial if you think about it. Rather go with something natural that is sinking into your pores and your body. But I really dont know about the make-up of vaseline and probably am way off base.. Someone enlighten me.

Here is interesting history of petroleum jelly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly

Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
Despite all of the beauty jargon of "clogging" pores petrolatum has been used successfully as a moisturizer for many years. I think the reason it's so effective is that it creates a barrier that keeps your skin from losing moisture. I would recommend it for very dry skin. Maybe vaseline is too cheap so it doesn't seem posh even though it works. I have very oily skin and I also have dark black skin. I use vitamin e oil on my skin at night during the winter. I have absolutly no scientific proof, but I think it helps skin heal and removes discolorations from the skin without changing my skin color. As for the vaseline, I would say take the advice of people who actually use it. Based on what I have seen and heard it works. (no spellcheck sorry)

Old 08-22-2008, 09:18 PM

86 posts, read 169,644 times
I've been told how beautiful my skin is all my life. I am a lifelong user of vaseline. One friend i have asked me what i used on my skin and she started using it too. It messed her skin up.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:35 AM

5,115 posts, read 10,030,617 times
It sounds gross and I personally don't want petroleum products on my skin, so I only use products with plant based ingredients, such as Aubrey Organics or Dr. Hauschka.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty