Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 01:17 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times

Advertisements

OK - I guess I have to face it - I'm not 15 anymore. Heck, I'm not 25 anymore. Even 35 is 4 yrs ago! Don't know how it happened so quickly, but it did.

Suddenly, products that have worked for me my whole life are not quite doing the job anymore. I know it's normal to revisit your skin care and make up routine every so often... I mean, I'm not using the Bonnie Belle stuff I did in HS and thank God I don't have any more of that Wet N Wild Purple Eyeshadow that I used back then!

But with a job, kids, a house and all the trappings that come with it - I really have not paid attention to these things like I used to.

Can you reccommend where I can "go" for help? Websites... make up or skin care items best for "almost 40" folks?

I have good skin for the most part, no problems w/ wrinkles. My biggest problems are undereye circles (damn that Mediterrainian heritage!) and some sun/age spots... in the past, Prescriptives Camoflage cream was all I needed for this... but now I just look tired all the time. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 03:24 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Try an "eye-brightening" pencil or cream Trish McEvoy has a good pink pencil--it reflects light, so those dark circles aren't obvious! Really works! You can get it online at Nordstom.com. I've been using it for ages--no more "raccoon" eyes! It doesn't diminish bags, but that's not what folks really see--it's the dark circle and shadows that show up, and this stuff takes it away!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:26 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
The two books I would start with are

Amazon.com: The Perricone Prescription: A Physician's 28-Day Program for Total Body and Face Rejuvenation: Nicholas Perricone: Books

Amazon.com: Dr. Denese's Secrets for Ageless Skin: Younger Skin in 8 Weeks: Adrienne Denese M.D. Ph.D.: Books

I'll be 38 next month and know exactly what you're going through. In the last couple of years my skin hasn't looked like it used to either. Both Perricone and Denese recommend a low carb diet. It works for me so I do it. Denese is big on exfoliating and renewing the skin with vitamin C and ceramide products. I have found reasonably priced products but there are a bunch of high end ones to choose from too. I have never bought in to Perricone's products and only do his diet.

I think it has to be mentioned that hormones definitely play a role in how your skin looks. It's taboo but you could be premenopausal. I definitely am and have been for several years. I'm on a low dose Pill to help manage my cycle; it seems to keep my skin a little thicker looking with less wrinkles. If the Pill is not your thing you may want to consider biodentical hormones.

Amazon.com: It's My Ovaries, Stupid! (The Savvy Woman's Health Guide Series): Elizabeth Lee Vliet: Books

This book helped me a lot. Dr. Vliet has a website. I was listening to her radio show which is archived on there the other day, a show about hormones and skin, and a 38 year old caller said she went on biodentical hormones and people said she looked younger. I'm including this info because I don't think creams and even Botox are enough.

HER Place Women's Health - Individualized Hormone Replacement Therapy

For vitamin C serum I use Jason Ester-C Hyper C Serum ($33). For ceramide cream I use Ecco Bella Night Rebuilder ($36). I also like Total Effects and most Olay products. If you want a super high end product you could try Prevage ($155) but I've read all over the web that it causes a weird skin rash. Also, SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic ($139) but I read that it smells like hotdogs.

Two other good moisturizers which I have not tried but which have the right ingredients or a cult following are CeraVe (it contains ceramides and is very cheap, only $14) and German Nivea ($15). The German brand is supposedly a lot like Creme de la Mer.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Thanks to all!

catrinac some great advise there - I am definately going to look into the books. I think I need to address diet too. Low carb is HARD but it is doable and I've felt better when I've done that.

I definately think I'm periomenopausal.... sad. What happened to 15?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty