Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherman View Post
Why would anyone want to put their body through pain? Tattoos are such a waste of money, time and just stupid! Here in WA State every time I turn around, I see someone with a tat and body piercings- eyebrow, lip, tounge and the worst- nose. Get a life people! No one wants to see your gross rings. Take them out!!! I don't want to look at your nasty tounge!! Idiot!!
Tell us how you REALLY feel. My husband has three tattoos: my initials are on his right bicep, his father's are on his left bicep, and he has a tribute piece on this whole chest for our children. He feels the same way about his tattoos that he does about his paintings...it is simply a wearable form of art. They mean more to him than simply an aesthetic means of making an impression since he does not show them off at all...no one even knows he has them. So it hardly qualifies as a waste of time and money any more than the purchase of a painting would qualify as such. Yes, there is pain involved but it is a small price to pay for some people, especially when the tattoo is being created by an artist that you hold in high regard.

ALso, I have to say...alot of comments are being made about skin sagging as youget older and regretting tattoos in old age. To be honest, how many older people enjoy showing off their sagging skin anyway? Whether said skin is covered in tattoos or not is really neither here nor there. Most older people are self conscious about their aging bodies anyway and therefore tend to cover up. I'd even venture to say that if a person DOES have a few tattoos, it would probably lend them more confidence since it would possibly distract from natural flaws, whether those tattoos are sagging or not.

I have one very small tattoo on my hip that is covered even when I am in my swimsuit. I'm thinking of getting another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:02 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
If I needed to hire an employee for any business other than a record store, hippie coffee shop or head shop I would never hire anyone with lots of visible tats. It is a business killer having a scary looking cashier !

Old 09-19-2008, 09:07 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
Recently I have seen alot of young women at the beach who look all quite normal from the neck up but have just tons of tattoos all over their body. These are women who seem to be professional white collar women but hidden behind the clothes are as many as 10 large tattoos.
Wait a minute. If you saw these women at the beach and they look normal from the neck up, but also notice the tons of tattoos all over their body. How can you tell if they are white collar women with things hidden behind their clothes?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherman View Post
Why would anyone want to put their body through pain? Tattoos are such a waste of money, time and just stupid! Here in WA State every time I turn around, I see someone with a tat and body piercings- eyebrow, lip, tounge and the worst- nose. Get a life people! No one wants to see your gross rings. Take them out!!! I don't want to look at your nasty tounge!! Idiot!!
How old are you, like 12? Who are you to tell people what to do with their $$ and body? Are you the image Nazi?

And good catch DaBeez!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
You have to do what my dad did.. get the tattoos when you're 50 so you don't have to worry about it later.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
If I needed to hire an employee for any business other than a record store, hippie coffee shop or head shop I would never hire anyone with lots of visible tats. It is a business killer having a scary looking cashier !

I think most people who get visible tats would not care whether you hired them or not. People who want to enter into the conservative business world understand that they are judged based on appearance and therefore keep their tattoos hidden.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I think most people who get visible tats would not care whether you hired them or not. People who want to enter into the conservative business world understand that they are judged based on appearance and therefore keep their tattoos hidden.
I guess I forgot to mention that my dad is a stock broker that works for Wall Street, and he always rolls his sleeves up so you can see his other sleeves. I think it's quite funny actually.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:42 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
My tattoos make me feel beautiful. I'm working on both a sleeve and a backpiece as of right now. I'm only 24 and it's gets just a little bit irritating when people tell me I'm going to regret my tattoos. There are plenty of people who make decisions in their life that they don't regret and *gasp* actually like!

I take really good care of them (sunscreen daily, even in winter and aquaphor lotion every day) and plan on them looking nice for a very long time. Now, when I'm 80 I doubt I'll be running around in a bikini so I'm not really worried about 'sagging' skin.

I have an amazing job in aviation where I'm constantly meeting with CEOs, CFOs and millionaires and have yet to be put down. In fact, many of them have complimented me on the tattoos and requested me the next time they came in.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:43 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My tattoos make me feel beautiful. I'm working on both a sleeve and a backpiece as of right now. I'm only 24 and it's gets just a little bit irritating when people tell me I'm going to regret my tattoos. There are plenty of people who make decisions in their life that they don't regret and *gasp* actually like!

I take really good care of them (sunscreen daily, even in winter and aquaphor lotion every day) and plan on them looking nice for a very long time. Now, when I'm 80 I doubt I'll be running around in a bikini so I'm not really worried about 'sagging' skin.

I have an amazing job in aviation where I'm constantly meeting with CEOs, CFOs and millionaires and have yet to be put down. In fact, many of them have complimented me on the tattoos and requested me the next time they came in.
Take it all with a grain of salt My back is mostly covered. I got my first at the age of 38.
I was out with a bunch of ladies last week and my friend was having me show my tattoo to one of her friends. That lady said, "when you're old that tree will be a willow tree!". Very rude comment but A) I'm 40 - and in incredible shape. If my skin sags that much later on I've got more important things to worry about B) Just not worth caring about what others think.

I could have commented that her very large boobs would eventually be gourds when she's old, but decided against it.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:54 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I think tatoos, if placed properly and planned well (as well as executed well) can be beautiful. Many of the modern pinup girls have them, including Sabina Kelly who has a thriving career. She always looks glamorous and feminine. Placement is key, however:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee185/czechomommy/sabinakelly.jpg (broken link)
There was a girl in college who got a tattoo of Tigger on her lower ab. Well, she got pregnant, and lets just say, Tigger lost his tail.

I don't care for tramp stamps and whatnot, and most tattoos I don't really care for. But I have seen some tattoos that are artistic and beautiful. And the artistry of Japanese irezumi/horimono always intrigued me. That said, my skin will always be virgin.

Last edited by vemureaux; 09-19-2008 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty